How Much Security is Too much security while here?

Greetings all.  I'm back on the island for my usual big city escape and staying at one of the apartment rental complex just right out of Sosua.  I will not name the condominium complex, because for the most part I enjoy staying there, but I just needed a few expats point of view since it seems that some Dominicans try to remedy situations after they happen.  I prefer to prevent rather than to cure. 

I had an odd incident this morning.  I usually rise early AM to send my partner off to work then I return to sleep for a while since I'm more of a noon person, I mainly work nights.  Well I locked my door and secured it from the inside with an item called AddAlock which prevents anyone with a key from entering while you are home. Upon rising, I noticed my locks had been open, but no one entered the apartment since I had the lock on.  I thought maybe I had forgotten to lock the door in the morning after I sent my friend off to work, but I'm pretty good about securing my place of residence. 

I decided to relock everything and sit down on the sofa to watch some TV with a cup of coffee. To my surprise I hear someone opening my door with some keys and jumped up quickly to figure out who was entering with keys and without knocking.  I finally managed to open the door and realized it was one of the superintendents looking to wax the sliding patio doors with some candles in order to help them slide better.  I think some WD40 would do a better job personally.  I told him to come back a bit later since I was busy, but I actually wanted to check with the manager if his story was true or if he was just entering the apartment for the sake of entering.  I told the manager before renting that I'm not comfortable with anyone entering the premises while I'm not there, if there is any need for repairs just notify me and I can make time to accommodate the superintendent.  Last year when I stayed here, they did the same thing and I did not appreciate it,  I had some motion detectors set up in the apartment and the superintendent set them off; upon returning to the complex the manager said my alarms had been going off, and I told her once again that I did not want anyone in the apartment while I was out,

To make a long story short. I invited him back to wax the doors and he apologized for the disturbance, we had some small talk and he then asked if he could wax the windows in the bedroom? I told him someone was resting and that if he wanted, he could leave me the candles and I could do it myself, he said no and that it would not be a big deal.  He said he has been working in the complex for 20+ years which is nice! but to me he is a stranger! and where I come from in the states, a stranger is a stranger no matter how friendly he looks! I have taken the time to place a few security deterrents in hopes of discouraging any possible shenanigans just in case.  People tend to do the oddest things in your place when you are not around and know they are not being watched.  There are plenty of good folks out there, but I have seen enough stuff on hidden cam to know not to trust strangers in your place.  My girlfriends family lives in a neighborhood where their door is always open and according to them " We are all neighbors and neighborly" but this is the same open door neighborhood where the brand new MP3 player I bought for her niece was stolen right off the kitchen table while everyone was home.  This is the same girlfriend who took 6 months to install a smoke detector I bought her after she told me her brother was playing with matches and candles, but only installed the alarm after I told her that I would bet upon my return the alarm would still be sitting in the purchase box! See what I mean about crying after the incident instead of taking precautionary measures?

Am I overdoing it on the security thing or are my concerns justified? My girlfriend(Dominican) feels I'm a bit overboard, but if it were not for the Addalock we could have been in the middle of something private and been rudely interrupted by a superintendent who does not know the courtesy of knocking on the door of an occupied apartment before entering. He must have known there were tenants since he tried entering early in the morning and had no success and was also told by the manager about me not wanting to be disturbed, but he still chose to attempt an entry without knocking.  There is a safe in the apartment, and I also have my own motion lock I place on my closet to secure my belongings.  I even thought about going to the hardware store while here and changing the deadbolt cylinder while staying here and changing it back right before I leave,

I apologize for the long thread, and for the most part I'm brief, but with all the stuff I read about in the papers and watch on the local news, I can help but to feel justified in securing my personal belongings and myself.  How can you not secure your things, when just last week the National Police spokesperson in Santiago, a Coronel, had his personal belongings stolen right out of his office! And supposedly he was the only one with the key to the cabinet where his stuff was stolen! Go figure that one out!!!! Have a good night all. Your feedback is always appreciated. Thanks.

You are absolutely right in your thinking.  I too would not let anyone into my apartment without me being there or being notified of repairs.  There is the potential of too much "stuff" happening.

We have a rental unit in Cabarete and would never enter the condo when rented with out the renter either being there of having their permission to enter.   

It may be time for you to switch rental units. (PM me with the place your are staying at).

As to the MP3 player and other missing items as well as the smoke detector that all sounds pretty normal and pretty Dominican to me.  We bought phones (not expensive ones) for our housekeepers daughters so they could stay in touch during the day.  Well within a month both were "stolen or missing".  Funniest thing was they expected us to buy them anther one.....Not.

Bob K

I agree, you are being smart. First thing I do with any new place I stay in long term, change the locks!

You are not going overboard at all! You are being smart. In fact I like some of your ideas.

Safety both short and ling term, is a major concern in any country, city, neighborhood these days. We must take responsibility for our own safety as much as we can.

Let's add any other safety ideas here! Short and long term living.

For example: tourists should always leave a copy of passport, I'D etc with someone back home in case it's needed quickly. It's much easier to get emergency travel documents when someone has a copy.

Never have all money in one place! Leaving the house - I use my pockets, purse and tuck emergency stash in my bra.....Lol In my house, purse, drawers etc and safe of course.

Do not carry a lot of cash!

Thanks guys.  I just needed some expats points of views.  Since usually we are viewed as being overboard on certain things which we do.  I understand each culture has its's own way of doing and reacting to certain situations, but coming from the states and having experienced theft first hand, stolen sports car and Intruder in my apartment, I can't help but to think the way I do.  I also worked in private security for a while and many friends in law enforcement.  The safety prep is the same I would take If I was doing my old bodyguard job.  I explained to my girlfriend that it is for her safety as well, she could have been in the shower and walked out to find this guy in the apartment.  Last year I had my girlfriends family over for a movie night, and some chick randomly wandered into the apartment, then apologized for the intrusion, she said she missed her floor??? She lived on the 2nd I was staying on the 3rd floor.  How likely is it to climb extra stairs and miss your floor?

Planner I like your Idea about posting security tips for new and old visitors.  I will suggest 3 items.  Addalock which is on Amazon great tool, YouTube has videos on how it works.

Dropcam wireless monitor cam with cloud recording, that way your recording is safe even if they take the camera. You can monitor all activity going on in your house from any mobile device and you get alerts sent to your phone when motion is detected. The cam has built in speakers and mic, so you can see and hear all that goes on in the apartment as well as speak to the intruder from tha cam. 4 cams can be set at once. Amazon sells these as well, plenty of videos on YouTube, many intruders have been busted with this one!

For the fellows I suggest a money belt with a zipper compartment.  Keep some small bills in your pocket, but keep some extra in the belt just in case you get robbed or pick pocketed, these work well, I have Two.  Let's keep the tips coming, especially for the women, since they are even more vulnerable while out.

I placed a doorknob motion sensor on the door handle that way if he returns once again and I'm asleep, he will get the message.  The complex is not bad at all and for the most part feel safe here, but even the most trusted of employees can't sometimes resist temptation, so I will do my best to squelch that temptation before it arises!  The place Bob is the same one I mentioned in the previous PM I just said outside of Sosua, since it is the next town over.  The roots on the potatoes are already growing in the water glasses, but no plants yet, they are coming along nicely :-)

Motion Sensors are also a good deterrent, any thing to scare them off or to let the intruder know his presence has been detected!

Great stuff honey!

Sorry forgot where you were.  I am getting old :)  I will recheck the email. 

Maybe meet up tomorrow.

Bob K

Cool Bob no worries  :D

Here are 2 great items for your property safety if you are not allowed to change the lock in the apattment, hotel, or short term rental.  Amazon sells both.  I personally use Addalock for my personal safety once indoors.  It really jams the door and prevents any one from entering uninvited while you are home.

http://www.amazon.com/Keyed-Lock-Out-De … al_qh_dp_thttp://www.amazon.com/Rishon-Enterprise … s=Addalockhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJg65MtmxIhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNh6y-6ckGU

Thanks, great info!

Good info but most breakins don't use the doors to gain entrance. This is good stuff for hotel rooms on upper floors.

Bob K

What is the preferred method of entry here Bob? I guess if some one wants in, and is determined, they will find a way in.  The best anyone can do is set up some obstacles to either slow them down or just have them choose an easier target, coming from NY I know first hand that stopping a break in is unrealistic, but thieves are usually relying on the element of surprise or carelessness, so since they are relying on those factors, I like to have a little surprise of my own waiting for them :D  My best deterrent to date has been to leave my snakes out of their tank when I'm not home....... Boy if that is not a surprise then I don't know what is JaJaJa sorry I could not bring my pets with me :-( if windows are the preferred method then I would suggest some window vibration detectors, they work really good and once the glass is shattered or moved, they really set off a loud ringing.  Surprise the thief before he surprises you! That is my motto. Dropcam with direct alerts to your cell phone works really good as well.  Here is their website.  https://www.dropcam.com

How is the auto insurance thing going Bob? Hoping the insurance pulls through for you, did you have much damage?

Never mind Bob read about your auto ordeal in the day in the life post just now, Looks like a slow ride to getting your truck repaired :-/ Have a safe trip up to NY. That will be my destination in the next few weeks. Hope your mom feels better.

Thanks. She is going to do fine.

As to mode of entry... favorite is through a window or patio door.

Bob K

This is GREAT  We are moving from the U.S. on July 2nd so I am definitely taking your tips.  Thanks so much.

Glad it is helpful.  Make sure to tell us all about your move...

Will do!  Can't wait.