Best Place to Live in San Juan - Recent College Grad

Hi,

I am moving to San Juan in August to live and work for a year. I will be working in Ocean Park and trying to find a good place to live. I am looking for a safe area (first priority) that is clean and convenient to access groceries and ideally nightlife as well. I would also ideally like to live in an area with other students/young professionals. I am also considering buying a car and/or bike if I might want to live outside of the immediate area.

Right now, I am leaning towards living in Old San Juan and biking/driving to work and paying for parking there if I can afford a car. Is this the best area to live for all of these things or will Ocean Park/Condado suffice? Are these places convenient and are there other people of my age group in these places?

Also, I was considering trying to find a host family to live with during the year. Is this a good idea? Do families live in safe areas and does anyone know how to go about finding this?

Lastly, I wanted to know what the best way is to meet people during my year. Can I audit night classes at UPR? Are there any other easy ways to do this and potentially find roommates for the year?

I don't know anything about host families but I would recommend Old San Juan. I've posted a lot on OSJ and its pros and cons under other topics if you're interested.

I saw your first post about possibly finding a job and moving there.  Congratulation on getting your new job!  Sorry, I can't be of help with information but just wanted to wish you all the best.

Just stay in ocean park. It has everything you need, including nightlife in walking distance. No need for a car. Studio apartment was 600 when I lived there about 3-4 years back.

Yes, you can find a studio or 1 bedroom in Ocean park for 6-700. I live in OP and love it. Good community feeling, people of all ages, walkable and bikeable to get to most all the places you need.

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate the congrats and the advice. I think I'll opt to live in Ocean Park or close by in Condado. Thanks again!

On the west area of PR, Aguada & Aguadilla. Also on Fajardo on the east. In the past there are military bases on this areas.
When I was young, I lived on Fajardo for 6 years, near Roosevelt Roads base (Ceiba town).
You can learn easy Spanish, puertorricans people are very friendly, and can teach you.
I born in the states, but grownup in PR.
Enjoy Puerto Rico.