English Teacher Vacancy

Hello,
I am Michael, I'm looking for an English Teacher Vacancy

quirkyjr wrote:

Hello,
I am Michael, I'm looking for an English Teacher Vacancy

Off topic but such an old thread, I don't suppose it matters.
To work legally, you need a degree and teaching certificate.
Your employer sorts out the KITAS, work permit and SKLD (Police registration).

You must be from England or some other country where they speak something close to English.
I understand Scotland, Wales and the north of Ireland are all acceptable.
The US of A and Australia are also considered to be countries where English is the native language.

I see you're English.
If pushed and skint, there's always the language mills.
They pay low, usually 8 million/month but tend to be less fussy about little things like ability or qualifications if you happen to be white.
Short of anything else, if you have a wife sponsored KITAP, imigrasi will leave you alone if you work from home, informally.
A few hours a week will see an income of around 12 million/month.

I can help you out with teaching materials.

Hello Michael.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Jakarta forum for more interaction.

Can you please give us a longer introduction?

Thank you,
Aurélie

Mas Fred it right, depending on qualifications will determine what work you can get. Now is a good time to get in contact with the National and International schools for possible teacher positions for the new term in July / August. The mills are always recruiting and some pay lower and others but it depends all on you and also where you are living for the kind of schools around you.

[Moderated: Please post in Jobs section]

Are you providing the Kitas? Because an expat here cannot work somewhere without one and cant work for someone else if their employer has issued them with one.

The employer should provide
Work permit
KITAS
SKLD (Police registration)

An advertiser should really post a salary but, if they don't wish to for some reason, you should be looking for at least 20 million per month with less than 30 hours per week.

There's a job vacancy as a teacher. but in Semarang, I looked up on newspaper last saturday in Permata Bangsa International School.

Mavis tutorial centre does not state salary or package for expat. But its in sunny PIK. And then the thread went quiet

my name is Michael Quirk. I'm from London in the Uk. I have been living and working in Jakarta for over three years now and will be seeking work as from August. Please let me know of any job vacancies  for a native English teacher. Many thanks. Michael Quirk.

You're still looking?  Or looking again?

Rumor has it that the Jakarta International School will be having some vacancies shortly.

Yep...starting tomorrow 6 June, obviously 20 vacancies

If they remain open.

try the school i work with rite now...

quite nice school so far

;)

Hi guys
What's happening with this school?  Are they closing?
I'm moving over there with my family next year, was hoping to enrol the kids.

JIS is in serious trouble that's what one can tell for time being. Nobody can tell by now if they are closing or not.....

hi abbie! thanks for message what school and where are you working in as im still looking for a full time position. thanks mike!

hi everybody! sorry ive not been very active on here.

Hello all!

@ quirkyjr, have you tried to post an advert in the Teaching jobs in Jakarta section? this might be helpful.

Regards

Kenjee

thanks for the helpful advice kenjee. will give it a go. :D

Just make sure you papers/pemits are in in order before taking up a job here.....

Hi Michael, maybe you should submission your cv's as English Teacher to LIA or EF courses, there are is very popular in Jakarta . You can searching in google for the Address informations. Good luck !  :)

sofsepsos wrote:

Hi Michael, maybe you should submission your cv's as English Teacher to LIA or EF courses, there are is very popular in Jakarta . You can searching in google for the Address informations. Good luck !  :)

Many 'language mills' have long, unsocial hours and far lower pay than real schools.
I sometimes chat with teachers from International schools, most seem to be on 20 to 30 million/month, but language mill people seem to be on about 8 million, for longer hours.

I'm open to correction on this, but that seems to be the case.

Fred wrote:
sofsepsos wrote:

Many 'language mills' have long, unsocial hours and far lower pay than real schools.
I sometimes chat with teachers from International schools, most seem to be on 20 to 30 million/month, but language mill people seem to be on about 8 million, for longer hours.

I'm open to correction on this, but that seems to be the case.

Hello Fred,

Just thought I'd give you an update on the language teaching situation here in Jakarta, as much seems to have changed in the past 3 years =)

Any legitimate language center should offer a minimum of 12 million/month for first time teachers, with an additional housing allowance on top of that. Yes, international schools offer higher salaries -- as they should. They also require far more in terms of teaching qualifications and experience.

The working hours naturally differ between language centers and international schools. Language centers cater to the after-school market. As such, the majority of hours worked are in the late afternoon/early evening. It has been my experience that International schools also require their teachers to work longer than full-time hours, from early in the morning to early evening, at minimum.

At present, as I see it, International Schools naturally offer a higher salary, as they require their teachers to work longer hours and stringently insist on comprehensive qualifications.

IMHO, Language centers are the best bet for new teachers, while International Schools seem to be better for those who are further along in their teaching careers.

-Chris

ChrisThomasEFIndo wrote:

Any legitimate language center should offer a minimum of 12 million/month for first time teachers, with an additional housing allowance on top of that.

By your criteria EF is borderline as a legitimate language center.
You understand this isn't my opinion, but using the base set by you.

http://www.englishfirst.com/ESL-Jobs/te … indonesia/

YOUR SALARY & BENEFITS PACKAGE

11,000,000 – 14,000,000 IDR monthly after taxes, based on location
Approved flight ticket reimbursed
Housing provided in many locations
Sponsored legal KITAS work visa
Health insurance
Minumum 10 paid annual leave days plus 18 national holidays

This one is different

http://teachinindonesia.com/ef-teacher- … ef-malang/

January 4, 2017
Competitive Rupiah based salary. (Approximately 4 times Indonesian minimum wage).

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015 … ncies.html

Malang regency Rp 2,188,000

My maths could be a little rusty but I'm pretty sure 2,118,000 X4 isn't 12,000,000.

That, again according to you, means that EF is not a legitimate language center.

Perhaps you'd care to comment or explain where the error is but it looks a lot like these recent EF job offers don't pay as you claim so, in your own words and using your benchmark, are not legitimate language centers.
Or are they typos?

https://www.esl101.com/esl-jobs/country … e-july-and

Organization: EF English First Swara
GroupWebsite: http://www.efjakarta.comJob
Address: Jl. Arjuna Utara No 1 Gedung Tomang Tol Lt. 4 Tanjung Duren Selatan Jakarta Barat 11470
Monthly salary range (USD): $500 - $999Age of students: Kindergarten/PreschoolElementaryMiddle SchoolHigh SchoolAdultsOther

Unless the USD to IDR exchange rate has gone wild in the last few minutes, the starting salary seems to be less than 7 million/month.

Hey Fred,

I appreciate your thoughtful comments. The first Salary and Benefits quote you give comes direct from the official EF English First website. I can confirm the numbers are accurate: there is a minimum IDR 11,000,000/month base salary for native English speaker teachers at all centers in Indonesia. In Jakarta (as well as a large majority of centers throughout the rest of the country), the minimum base salary for native English speaker teachers  is 12,000,000/month. The "Housing provided in many locations" is an old quote and should be updated soon. Housing (whether direct staff housing or a housing allowance) should be provided at all centers. These are current policies and should be reflected on the official website as such.

The ad quoted from EF Malang, while posted back in January of this year, uses out of date figures. I can confirm that the center currently adheres to the EF Indonesia standard salary policy. They will update the ad accordingly.

The salary range quoted for the ad from EF Swara Group is disturbing. I can confirm that this is an errant figure. The centers within the EF Swara Group adhere to EF Indonesia salary standards. Their numerous ads throughout the internet should reflect this fact.

Thank you for bringing these ads to my attention. Do let me know if you find any other EF ads that seem to verge outside of industry norms.

ChrisThomasEFIndo wrote:

At present, as I see it, International Schools naturally offer a higher salary, as they require their teachers to work longer hours and stringently insist on comprehensive qualifications.

40 hours is quite a long week and normal schools don't work on Saturdays or evenings.

http://efsurabaya.com/faq/working-at-ef-indonesia#onea

Teachers work on five consecutive days each week, which will be either Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday. A teacher will teach from Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday according to the requirements of the school schedule, which may vary during the contract period. The total working week is 40 hours including preparation time and contact time in the classroom, as well as other occasional duties such as attending teachers' meetings and workshops. The maximum contact time in the classroom is 24 hours per week, equivalent to a maximum load of eighteen lessons of eighty minutes each. Overtime is paid for any lessons taught in excess of this amount, and any overtime classes are voluntary.

Are you saying EF does not require qualified teachers?
I'm unsure of the details of Indonesian law when it comes to actual applications but I understood a degree was a must to work legally in Indonesia.

Your post suggests less is required of teachers at EF.

Perhaps you could clarify.

Hiya. So what's the situation in Hong Kong? Can I teach there without a degree?