I'm Moving to Bali/Ubud

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new here and seriously considering moving to Bali. Right now I'm looking at Ubud for a number of reasons, but I'm not completely dead set on that. It's really only been about 12 hours of real research so far, so I might be a little misguided. I did read that it has the largest population of expats in all of Bali so I think that's what I find the most comforting/appealing.

This, admittedly, is a big move for me. I'm an internet entrepreneur/business owner and after a few years of putting it all together I'm ready to start living and traveling while continuing to run my business. It's exciting and terrifying all at the same time. :)

I'm hoping to get some feedback, info, direction from anyone here who is willing to help out. I'll be moving from California and moving just a small amount of personal/work stuff.

(I posted this in the Bali forum as well and couldn't find a way to delete it there.. sorry for the duplicate)

Calling Ubud home for the past 15 years, Im not sure Id agree that Ubud has the largest number of expats on Balirather Id be thinking southern Bali for that, and in particular, Seminyak, Sanur and Jimbaran and also, Lovina. 

But, indeed, there is an excellent and highly diverse expat community in Ubud, keeping in mind that Ubud means central Ubud village as well as its numerous sister satellite villagesvirtually all areas with the 80571 postal code. 

Their nationalities, in order of presence, include Australians, British, American, German, Canadian, and etc.

With American expats, a great many hail from California, but just about every state is represented here.   

I always give the same advice to anyone, regardless of where they are from, and that is to plan a long trip to Bali in advance of any permanent sort of move.

You can easily arrange a visit visas which will allow you up to 180 days in country, and that almost 6 months should be enough to enable you to explore your options, network with expats already here, and formulate a better decision which has a higher chance of success.

In Bali, expats ebb and flow like the tide.  With Bali it is essential that you learn to walk before you run.  The attrition rate here would blow your mind.  I kid you not.

Thanks, Ubudian,

For someone that was interested in trying your route of staying for six months before making a long term decision, do you think that southern Bali is a better place to do that, rather than being more inland in the Ubud area?

I'd be coming with very little; just clothing and what I need in order to work. I'd be looking to rent a house/villa for the six months that I'm there and would like to be close enough to things to not have long walks/rides into town. Essentially, I'd like to enable myself to meet as many people as possible while still integrating with the local culture.

Any ideas there?

Ubudian wrote:

With American expats, a great many hail from California, but just about every state is represented here.

Why is that?  You'd think people from colder climates would be happier in Bali.

Californians tend to me more laid back and relaxed, a perfect fit for Bali.