Driving Licence in Mozambique

Hi,

I am living in Maputo and I am from India. I have an Indian Driving Licence and an Internation Driver Document as well. Can i drive in maputo with these or i need to have a Mozambican licence? I also have a DIRE.

Thanks

Hi Biks,

I use an international drivers license which is sufficient in Moz.

From what I've read, I believe that a local license in only necessary if you drive a locally registered vehicle that is not hired.

When you get here you will notice that people seem to have had no formal driving lessons. A red traffic light usually means 'only two more cars', and pothole avoidance seems to give drivers the right to drive on the wrong side of the road. It's all quite an experience!

I've also heard that some expats hire themselves drivers, but I personally have no experience with that.

Hi Biks,

My case matches yours. I have been told that in-spite of having an IDP a local license is required. The IDP exempts you from the written test but a driving test is mandatory to obtain the license. Is this true? Please advice if you have an update.

Thanks,

Pavan

Is there any website/agency where I can get the details... googled it but with no avail!!!

Hi Pavan, you are coming to a third world country which known as a basket without any bottom. Do not expect so much in this country. Thieves, Kidnappers, carjackers – always will be around of you. You got to save yourself from troubles. There is no social security. So when you are planning to enter in such a country, you got to be well prepared for any sort of nasty experience.

Hi mjasem,

Thank you for sharing these information which will surely help. But please note it is quite off topic. I suggest you to create a new topic about safety on Mozambique, on the Mozambique forum, this can be helpful. :)

Furthermore if you have any information concerning Driving License in Mozambique, please feel free to post on this thread. ;)

Thank you,

David.

Hi David,
To get Mozambican Driving License, below rules applied.

First Part
1.    If you are applying for first time driving license in your life then you will have to attend Mozambican Driving School where you will be driving car in busy roads in Maputo city, and this process goes on at least for 90 days that everyday you will attend Driving Class, wasting your valuable office time.
2.    If you are used to have driving license from some other country, you will have to attend Driving Test testifying your ability to drive car where maximum applicant forcefully marked as failed so applicant may spend more money to attend in driving school which help Mozambican economy.

Second Part
1.    You will have to attend Written Exam which is in Portuguese Language, and that's the funniest part. If you are an expat and have no idea of Portuguese then you will have to make deal to pay at least a lump sum of 300 US$ to pass your written exam paper under the table so that you are can secure Mozambican Driving License, otherwise they will keep you returning again and again until you can pass so-called written exam in Portuguese.

Third Part
1.    Finally you got the Mozambican driving license and you are driving car in Maputo roads. You will see signs showing “Speed Limit 40KMH”, even you are driving at 40KMH, but still Police will catch you and demonstrate that you have committed violence and you deserve Penalty. In the meantime Police look at your eyes and make an eye contact with a mild smile that you can sense that Police looking for refreshment (!) which can waive your penalty. Now, here is the deal – Pay & Disappear.

hi the low says you can drive one year with international permit but you better take the Mozambique license as quick as possible

thanx for the tip hey so that 300 us payement is for passing provision only or t covers all up to licence

I am not sure why all the fuss !! I have been here in Maputo for 3 years and have been using my International Driv/Licence. Never had anybody question me. Been stopped many times by the Traffic Police, and never a hassle.
Trick: NEVER get angry or excited ! Stay very calm and smile.
It makes all the difference..
And I don't intend to pay $ 300 to sit for the written Portuguese test. I don't even speak Portuguese....
Advantage I have is, I speak Swahili fluently, I was born in Tanzania.. And all these Traffic Police got their training in Tanzania, who speak a bit of Swahili.
Tell them:-  Hakuna Matata...   No Problem ...
I guarantee you they will smile......
Regards.

Hey thanks for your feedback. But from where you got your International Driv/Licence ?

I got my Int'l. Driving License in UK, where I lived for 16 years.
Whenever I go to UK ( every 6 months ), I just get a new one, which then is valid for ONE year..
You say that you have an Int'l driving doc. ...
In fact, once I got stopped, they asked for my Dire and my Driving license...  Showed them my Int'l. Lic.   He never questioned me.

Hi Nanji,
I have been in Tanzania for few years, I lived in DSM, Peninsula, Richmond Apartment. Tanzanian police worse than Mozamnbican. At least Mozambican police don't enter inside the car right away like Tanzanian police do. I remember once I was held by Tanzanian Police just in usual check-point, and the police found everything alright with my documentation but still he ask me 100,000 Shillings, and I refuse. I explain him, if you find any problem with my documentation, you may write me a ticket and I settle it with authority but I can't pay you personally. But the guy was on top of me like my shadow. Finally he come down to 5000 Shillings, but I didn't pay him. I explained him I can't pay him. After he realize my solid standing, he simply throw my License inside my car and advise me to leave the check-point. I was embarrassed. His chief was standing nearby and I intended to inform his chief, but I was feeling that if I inform his chief, he may drag me to some other bigger problem because usually Police in Africa doesn't have manner like Police in Europe or other part in world. I just share my stories as I goes around the world and meet new people from new society, culture. But one thing I can tell you, I never seen a lovely place like Zanzibar. Extremely nice place. Poverty is there, but I should say that place is like heaven to me. Whenever I get chance, I jump over DSM airport, catch Fast boat straight to Zanzibar. I love that place.

Are you living in Phillipines or Mozambique now?
I grew up in Tanzania, but left in 1974....
I am sorry to read your encounter with Tanzanian Police.
I grew up in Changombe Area of DSM.. Been back a few times but never had any problems.
Mind you I am getting fed up of Africa now, and planning to move again. Been to Thailand 3 times now, I just love it there.
Hoping to retire there...   
Lovely country and people...

I'm South African with a DIRE. I have a SADC[South African] license and drive a Mozambiqican car. Do I need a Mozambiqcan license?

I've got a DIRE and a SADC license and drive a Mozambican car. Do I need a local license?

Your South African Driving Licence can be used until after six months from your eventual DIRE emission you will need to convert it in a local one, but u need no exam and no big payments (about 10 dollars)

If I covert my Indian driving license to Mozambican, Can I get my Indian one back..? or they wont return it..?

How can i change my malawian licence. Where should i go. I hav
a dire and a  malawian (sadc) licence