Living in png

Hi we are looking at excepting a job in PMG Port Moseby.  Accommodation is part of the package at airways apartments . There is so little info. they have a web page with some good pics but want more info about facilities. What is included what do we pay extra for. Can we have our cat there. Is there a good community to become part of. Anyone living there would love to hear your views. What sorta of things should we bring, bedding, towels that sorta stuff. I am a celiac (allergy to wheat)anyone no if Glutenfree foods are readily available. Anything else you can add would be awesome.

Hi. I've been staying at Airways since I arrived PNG in 2011 and I could say that it is one of the safest place in Pom. It is a secured compound with almost everything in there...hotel, rest, recreation park. The accommodation is a fully furnished, service apartment so you don't have to bring towels, beddings, etc. House maid clean the unit on a daily basis. The only restriction is that pets are not allowed inside the Airways compound. Hope this would help. Cheers.

Thank you Lady Ann.

Hi Teddybare,

We have been in PNG for a number of years and know the airways well. Yes, they are noce and safe and secure - probably the best in Mpresby. However you are next to an airfield an 10kms form town and the shops and the drive their is very unsafe. Port Moresby is NOT a place for expat ladies / families. The schooling is sub-standard (1 or 2 years below Australian standard) and even with a security guard you are putting yourself in danger everytime you are leavingthe security of Airways. If you must come up, be prepared to fly out at least every 2 months or you will go crazy- there is very little to do at the hotel (although the brochures make it sound fine). If you are coming up as a non-working spouse i would seriously reconsider this. People here will often say "It is not as bad as the media make out" but the sad reality is that it is a lot worse - many horrific incidnces don't make the media. Th e attempted rape of a female friend of ours a week ago , in broad daylight and in her own home in a secure apartment has been enough for my wife to now say enough is enough. Our friend had to jump for her life from a first floor balcony and broke her leg. She flew out for good the next day - this never made the media and neither do many other similar stories. Send the husband up for a year or so if money is the objective, but leave the family at home. Hope this helps?

Teddybare
williams999 has given you a very negatively frightening side of the possibilities of you coming to Port Moresby. We have thousands of expatriates here in Pom and they go around freely doing their business. However, I can't deny the challenges possed by developing cities such as Pom. I advise you to come to Pom and as williams999 suggests if you don' like it get out on the first available fight but I assure you will love it, minus the heat.

Hi,

My wife and I have been in PNG 4 months (Americans) and have settled in and relaxed quite a bit.  Security is always an issue and you just have to be aware of your surrounding.  Keep your doors locked and windows rolled up.  However I drive through one of the worst parts of POM (6 mile settlement) twice a day and have never had an problem.  There several nice shopping areas with modern grocery stores and a mall with a theater. There is danger anywhere you live.  The idea is to minimize your risk by taking precautions and paying attention.

i have seen gluten free foods in some stores.  Not all stores have everything, but between the 6 or 7 main stores you can get most things.  There are some nice restaurants  and little cafes in a lot of the modern stores where you can get local foods or fish and chips. My wife and I eat lunch out a couple of times a week and enjoy fantastic authentic Chinese, as well as quick lunches like chicken and chips. Lunches cost 15 - 25 kina or USD $6-$14.  The Edge Rest. on the Waterfront and Duffy's are favorite Expat places to eat.

We enjoy POM very much.  I do not take away from those who have had bad experiences.  We have had 2 friends that were car-jacked.  POM is a rough city to live in. Depending on where you are coming from, don't expect it to be like home and you will do much better.  If you plan to have an adventure you will enjoy it more.  Expats can make a lot of money here.  You can message me for more info or to connect.  I work for a Christian NGO here and drive within a couple of KM of Airways twice a day,  My wife and I would be glad to help you get acquainted with POM and some of its nicer features.