Teaching English in Hanoi

I would definitely recommend Hanoi as a place to live and teach English.  It is well paid here (between $10 - $24 an hour) and the cost of living is relatively cheap. For example a 4 bedroom house can be rented for US $500 a month, food can be bought for around a dollar a meal and a glass of fresh beer is 15 cents! :cheers::blink:

I have been living here for 6 months now and am really enjoying it.  You can visit my blog at:

http://lifeinhanoi.blogspot.com

Graham

But Hanoi changes quickly... It's also noisy and polluted...

Yes there is noise and pollution in Hanoi, but isn't that true of most cities?  If you choose your house location carefully, maybe wear a mask against the smog on your motorbike, it doesn't have to affect you that much.

I think Hanoi is a beautiful city, with far more positive points than negative.  As an ex-pat you can have a good life in Hanoi without many hassles.  For example, you can get good cable TV, internet, the latest pirate DVDs at a US Dollar each, have a good social life and live in a nice house for very little money.  You can have a far better standard of living and as a teacher you are well respected here, and the students are mostly hard-working, which makes working enjoyable. 

Riding a motorbike in this city is the most fun you can have if you are brave enough.  No insurance is offered when you rent the motorbike (for $40-$45 a month) and if it gets stolen you have to pay the agreed amount about $600 or $700) and it is total madness with few followed rules and millions of other people all seeming to want to go to work too.  It makes riding to and from work an adventure in itself.

So maybe it isn't for everyone, and certainly not for the faint-hearted, but if you like freedom from speed-cameras, state control, (yes they want to know where you are living, and you need a new work visa every 6 months, but other than that they do not hassle you) therefore if you like to live trouble free, with a good standard of living, then Hanoi should definitely be on your shortlist if you have the relevant qualifications and are thinking of moving to Asia as an English teacher. 

My blog:

Did you know that we cannot open "blogspot" 's blogs in vietnamese provinces ? Only in Saigon and Hanoi...
You're right about all the positive points. But I lived in Hanoi 4 years ago (teaching french !) and it was so different (less noise, less pollution, less cars, lower prices for house renting...). Today I live in Hue. I miss the social life but it seems to me it's the best place to be in Vietnam : 20 minutes and you're in the countryside, you can go to the beach, to the montains...
I go to Hanoi every 4 months when I need to do some shopping, to eat in a restaurant, to meet some people, etc. I still like the city but I'm always happy to come back to Hue.

I had no idea you cannot open 'blogspot' blogs in the provinces.  What stops you, Is it a government thing?  Is there no way round it?

My housemate went to Hue for work last week and was joined by the other housemate (both French) for the weekend, and they both said they had a fantastic trip, and the pics they brought back looked great too.  It certainly looks undeveloped and a good place to spend some time.

It does seem that Hue would be a good place to live, and when I tire of Hanoi, perhaps that is where I will head... Although at the moment I am enjoying the capital and all its noise and hustle and bustle.  I must admit I do miss the beach though sometimes.  On the other hand I did visit Laos for Tet, which I found very different and much quieter than Viet Nam and enjoyed greatly, but not sure I could live with the Laos attitude for long.

Another nice place in Asia is to teach in China... This is an link for a jobs in the beautiful city of Guilin (south China).

I really don't know why we can't open 'blogspot' blogs in the provinces. Certainly a government thing because I'm sure it's not a technical problem.
And next time, you should come to Hue with your housemates... !

Fleur de Lotus> this is due to "the Great Firewall", have you seen this topic? Censorship in China

Easier to teach english than french! whatever Hanoi remains a great intercultural experience. Check my blog! I will enjoy that bloggers who manage to express their own views with Vietnam share my "interculturel communauté" according to the culture shock post on dadarno.com

Fleur de lotus wrote:

I really don't know why we can't open 'blogspot' blogs in the provinces. Certainly a government thing because I'm sure it's not a technical problem.
And next time, you should come to Hue with your housemates... !

Unfortunately I was working when my housemates went to Hue.  I work six days a week, but not many hours, so rarely get to go anywhere :sosad:.  I did manage to have 3 days in Halong Bay last weekend, which was lovely :iagree:.

hi Graham and hi 'Hoa Sen' :)

I was surfing on the internet to find out how a language teachers can find their pupils in Hanoi?
That's how I found Graham's declaration of love to Hanoi (I quite feel the same, but I don't have my own motorbike yet) and the following conversation - I'm going now to Hue for holidays, but also to check out live conditions and food :).
Right now, I live in the old quarter of Hanoi, but I would like to move to a more quiet place, but if somehow possible with somebody speaking VN in the house - I'm learning VN. Maybe you do have an advice for me?

chao chu :)
chau tay

Whether or not you can access blogspot blogs depends on the internet provider.  The government internet company blocks those sites.  For instance, the apartment building I'm living in here in Hanoi has a ISP that blocks blogspot, but if I take my laptop to an internet cafe, I can view it fine.

Good to hear you're enjoying yourself in Hanoi. I found the food delicious and the sights breathtaking. A bit noisy with the motorbike honking, but those baguette sandwiches more than made up for it. That 500USD for a home seems steep compared to Thailand, where you can get the same for half or less.

We have the same problem with blogspot in Quang Ngai province--my guess is only the government provides internet service in central Vietnam.

Anyway, you can view blogspot and other censored sites with this website

http://anonymouse.org/

(Sometimes it doesn't work...but more often than not it does.)

[Moderated]

I have a job offer from Language Link In Hanoi. I also have a good offer from a school in south korea, public school and good money. I was there last year working in a hagwon, i dont know if i can justify taking a job in hanoi for half the salary i could get in korea but it sounds amazing! Can anybody give me advice??

Haha, I thought that you were my friend, haha, I helped him to rent a 4 bedroom house at 500$/month also, and I see they love living here a lot :X

demoore wrote:

Another nice place in Asia is to teach in China... This is an link for a jobs in the beautiful city of Guilin (south China).

No thanks!

Hotspot Shield:  Painfully slow, with banner ads, but it works on any of the sites that have "technical difficulties" here.

klue_sedgribthesaga89 wrote:

I have a job offer from Language Link In Hanoi. I also have a good offer from a school in south korea, public school and good money. I was there last year working in a hagwon, i dont know if i can justify taking a job in hanoi for half the salary i could get in korea but it sounds amazing! Can anybody give me advice??

If you're going to make a lot more in South Korea, with the cost of living accounted for, then take that job.  Is it a solid school, like Language Link allegedly is, though?

I did a Google search to see what the most conservative part of England is and the answer was the South East, so we'll say Berkshire = Hanoi and London = Ho Chi Minh City, as an analogy.  Typically, I'll use Salt Lake City, Utah and Las Vegas as the American comparison.

I tried Hanoi twice and made it 3 months the first time and 2 months the second time.

Hanoi is a beautiful city and there are a lot of nice people living there, but it was very difficult for me to adapt and adjust, after living in Ho Ch Minh for 2.5 years.

Teacher Mark,

Thanks for your reply. The school in Korea is a public school so reliable i think compared to working in private academies. Wages are good and location seems fine. To be honest I guess I am indecisive because i spent a year in Korea last year and dont know if i should go for the new cultural experiences while I am young and have these options, on the other hand money is tight and turning down a good wage seems a bit silly. Thanks for your advice.

[Moderated: Please post in Jobs in Hanoi section]

hey Mark. Did you make a decision Re Hanoi vs Korea? I worked 9 months for Language Link, and finished in June. I've since spent a couple of months teaching in China, and been home to England for 4 weeks. I'm now back in China, but reluctant to sign a contract on similar grounds to you. I have a great life back in Hanoi, which screams my name every day to go back. But can't decide if i should be giving China or Korea a fair go. Must admit though, after visiting my most potential employer here this morning, and having the contract put in front of me and a pen in my hand, I am thinking Hanoi has won me over. I loved living in Hanoi and loved working for Language Link. (if i go back this week, i won't be working for LL again, but that's because i want short-term commitment, so i can go to either Aus or Canada come January - it bares no refliction on working for LL. They were great. Lots of paid holidays, paid sick leave, etc)
What did you decide, if you made your decision already?
Nikki

Hello guys, I've just joined this expat forum and wanted to add my views of Hanoi to this discussion.

I have been teaching in Hanoi for over a year now and love the City. I have found everything I need here and at a fraction of the cost from back home, which is very pleasing I must say. :)

The only thing I can complain about is the difference in attitudes between foreigners and Vietnamese on the roads. From people riding motorbikes the wrong way up the street, cutting you up going past you, mindless beeping if horns when nobody in the vicinity, to people walking across the street without looking both ways...The Green Cross Code man would have a field day here. :)

But, I still enjoy the ride to work sometimes, even though it can be like running the gauntlet.

I do not work for anybody on contracts which suits me down to the ground really, although the times I'm not working, I'm also not earning, one of the drawbacks I suppose. But, I have the freedom to accept or turn work down if it fits into my schedule and still have free time to do the activities I enjoy at different times of the day.

At the moment, I'm working around 13 hours per week, which isn't a lot compared to some people, but it's certainly enough to live on here.

Hope all are well.

Cheers

English Teacher Hanoi

ManinHanoi wrote:

I would definitely recommend Hanoi as a place to live and teach English.  It is well paid here (between $10 - $24 an hour) and the cost of living is relatively cheap. For example a 4 bedroom house can be rented for US $500 a month, food can be bought for around a dollar a meal and a glass of fresh beer is 15 cents! :cheers::blink:

I have been living here for 6 months now and am really enjoying it.  You can visit my blog at:

Graham

Exactly why I am considering moving to Hanoi this fall from the US. Anyone else on this thread from the US and what were your circumstances on moving so far away from everything you know?

EnglishTeacherHanoi wrote:

Hello guys, I've just joined this expat forum and wanted to add my views of Hanoi to this discussion.

I have been teaching in Hanoi for over a year now and love the City. I have found everything I need here and at a fraction of the cost from back home, which is very pleasing I must say. :)

The only thing I can complain about is the difference in attitudes between foreigners and Vietnamese on the roads. From people riding motorbikes the wrong way up the street, cutting you up going past you, mindless beeping if horns when nobody in the vicinity, to people walking across the street without looking both ways...The Green Cross Code man would have a field day here. :)

But, I still enjoy the ride to work sometimes, even though it can be like running the gauntlet.

I do not work for anybody on contracts which suits me down to the ground really, although the times I'm not working, I'm also not earning, one of the drawbacks I suppose. But, I have the freedom to accept or turn work down if it fits into my schedule and still have free time to do the activities I enjoy at different times of the day.

At the moment, I'm working around 13 hours per week, which isn't a lot compared to some people, but it's certainly enough to live on here.

Hope all are well.

Cheers

English Teacher Hanoi

Thanks for the info my friend.

Your schedule is exactly what I'm hoping to get into while I'm there. Question...have you thought about if something ever happened health wise while living there, have you researched that?

English Teacher Hanoi

Yeah, it's a good schedule but whenever there are holidays and as you say if (touch wood) I have health issues I would not be able to work and so lose the income. I would be interested to know if there are any health insurance policies for westerners here which could pay for any hospital bills.

I have a separate source of income back in the UK which is just ticking along, so I have something to fall back on if ever the need should arise.

When will you arrive in Hanoi by the way?

Cheers

English Teacher Hanoi

English Teacher Hanoi

Yeah, it's a good schedule but whenever there are holidays and as you say if (touch wood) I have health issues I would not be able to work and so lose the income. I would be interested to know if there are any health insurance policies for westerners here which could pay for any hospital bills.

I have a separate source of income back in the UK which is just ticking along, so I have something to fall back on if ever the need should arise.

When will you arrive in Hanoi by the way?

Cheers

English Teacher Hanoi

If everything goes as plan, it will be sometime in November.

About health issues, I actually meant how safe and secure do you feel if something ever happened to you while you were there, like getting help with being ill, ambulances, hospital etc..
Being in the states, there is a sense of security when it comes to those things...I mean you do PAY for that but still.

Also, curious of your age, what brought you to Hanoi in the first place?

Cheers.

English Teacher Hanoi

Great, I'll still be here, all being well.

Yeah, the hospital situation is a pain actually. I had an accident one night and was driven to a hospital nearby only for them to refuse me as a patient. Now, it was only going to be a patch up and cost very little but I didn't get chance.

As an employee with one of the big schools I would expect you to get some kind of insurance from them. I don't have that privelege I'm afraid, but then again I was a subcontractor in the UK and so when I was Ill, I was in the same boat. But thankfully, (again, touch wood) I've been pretty healthy.

I'm 43, I was backpacking for around 2.5 years all over Asia and decided I liked Vietnam the most, so came back. I did the whole of Vietnam on a motorbike in 2011 and that's when I actually fell in love with the place.

I chose Hanoi simply because it has seasons and isn't always baking hot and humid the whole year round. I like to wear items of clothing other than shorts, t-shirts and flip flops :)

Cheers

English Teacher Hanoi

English Teacher Hanoi

Great, I'll still be here, all being well.

Yeah, the hospital situation is a pain actually. I had an accident one night and was driven to a hospital nearby only for them to refuse me as a patient. Now, it was only going to be a patch up and cost very little but I didn't get chance.

As an employee with one of the big schools I would expect you to get some kind of insurance from them. I don't have that privelege I'm afraid, but then again I was a subcontractor in the UK and so when I was Ill, I was in the same boat. But thankfully, (again, touch wood) I've been pretty healthy.

I'm 43, I was backpacking for around 2.5 years all over Asia and decided I liked Vietnam the most, so came back. I did the whole of Vietnam on a motorbike in 2011 and that's when I actually fell in love with the place.

I chose Hanoi simply because it has seasons and isn't always baking hot and humid the whole year round. I like to wear items of clothing other than shorts, t-shirts and flip flops :)

Cheers

English Teacher Hanoi

Ha..perfect.

Good info, yeah, good to know, I just turned 39 and the fear of my fragility seems to effect me more than it did a few years ago. Good to know a 43 year young guy like yourself is living! Gives me some inspiration. I'm pretty healthy myself(knock on wood) but as you know, the older we've gotten, things just seem to be more fragile  :(

That really stinks about them refusing you even though it was minor. Have you researched anymore information on this issue for a possible(god forbid) future event?!

Have you thought about long term since you mention you really love it.

peterpan75 wrote:

Ha..perfect.

Good info, yeah, good to know, I just turned 39 and the fear of my fragility seems to effect me more than it did a few years ago. Good to know a 43 year young guy like yourself is living! Gives me some inspiration. I'm pretty healthy myself(knock on wood) but as you know, the older we've gotten, things just seem to be more fragile  :(

That really stinks about them refusing you even though it was minor. Have you researched anymore information on this issue for a possible(god forbid) future event?!

Have you thought about long term since you mention you really love it.

Hi Peterpan! Welcome to Vietnam :) And hi English Teacher Hanoi!

As for hospital, there are public hospitals and private hospitals in Hanoi. Well, public hospitals are being public hospitals. They can be a pain, even for Vietnamese.

There are several private hospitals in Hanoi, such as Hong Ngoc General Hospital - 55 Yen Ninh, Ba Dinh, Ha Noi. It is near the old district and West Lake area so the location is great for many foreigners that want to stay in this area. They will cost more, but the service is okay, lots better than any public hospital in Vietnam. Lots of expats and tourists choose private hospital, as they won't refuse you no matter what. So that won't be a problem :)

Nana

Hi guys. Top of the evening to everyone. My name is mannii and i from Melbourne Australia. Guys, this is my first time here and i am loving it. Now, i do need some assistance to finding a teaching job. Also i am a qualified bartender and a Mexican chef. How can i get a job here ? HEEELLLPP 😯😯😯

Hanoi may seem a panacea for English teaching, but take care.  The government and people are growing tired of casual foreigners coming in to 'teach English' There is a push to eradicate non-qualified teachers and they are starting to forbidding foreigners without proper qualifications.  Several countries are now on the blacklist for work permits...meaning if you hold a passport from some countries you are not allowed to have a work permit.  All in all, Vietnam is in process of deporting teachers who are not here as professionals.  The days of easy money for teaching English is being stopped by the overly careless attitudes and low quality of teaching that actually harms the future of this country, not help it.   If you want to be a teacher in Vietnam, its best to take the time to get the credentials....it is no longer a 3rd world country- its an up and coming place that deserves and demands better than what has been entering the country, posing as teachers.

But are you willing to take a wage equal to the local population (200 USD/ Month) for doing such jobs?  I own a bar and that is we pay our very qualified staff...

Hi mate  thank you very much for your prompt reply. I am a 50 years old man with few degrees up my ally way. If you knw what i mean 😊. After running 2 bars/lounge and few night clubs in Australia, i have decided to give some of my time to community of Vietnam. I am here for long time not just good and short time bro. GOD BLESS YOU.

Bring it on mate. Where can i start? 😊

Please give me a chance mate. Free trial mate.

Hello friends,
I am vietnamese ànd plan to teach English in Hanoi. Hope I can learn from you.

I have a 3.5 years old son and want to find a native speaker - teacher to teach him. Does any one of you know to how to find a qualified teacher , please advise me. Thank a lot.

Graham,
Thanks for your insight.
I live in Australia and currently doing the TEFL course.
I'm 63yo with no teaching experience or BA
I'm looking at 2018 in Saigon
Any tips would be gratefully received
Regards
Chris

Hi mr mapstro. What happened to your job offer dude ?  I am still waiting to hear from you. Come on mate, you don't keep up your words. Haven't heard any post from you lately dude 😯