Cost of living in Kampala

Dear Members can some one guide me about the cost of living in Kampala (for 2 adult & a 5 yr old kid from India) in money terms mainly in terms of housing ; education ; health ; food items as i am contemplating to move to uganda on work permit from India.

Plus can you also guide about decent salary in USD or local currency for a finance professional

thnks & rgds
SUN

i need to know some of the same things so if you find anything out please contact me! thanks.

SUN98 wrote:

Dear Members can some one guide me about the cost of living in Kampala (for 2 adult & a 5 yr old kid from India) in money terms mainly in terms of housing ; education ; health ; food items as i am contemplating to move to uganda on work permit from India.

Plus can you also guide about decent salary in USD or local currency for a finance professional

thnks & rgds
SUN

$ 1500 is minimum

It all depends on what you want, you can get housing from as low as 50 dollars per month. Most good school charge around $300. The average Uganda jobs for finance is around $500 but that depends on the company you work with.

I had forget to tell you about food costs, it is relatively cheap compared to India to India. There are many food markets here. For jobs, its better you check Jobs in Uganda site. There are many Indians in Uganda and i know you will like thew place too

Hi dear,

I do not know if you already in Uganda or not.

Please let me know. I like to help you out with your questions.

I'm an American Missionary in Uganda, however right now home in the

U.S. till March.

God bless you

Akello/Eve

Hi Akello/Eve, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

Thank you for offering your help to members here.

May be you can guide us about the cost of living in Kampala.

All the best,
Christine

Hello Christine,

The cost of living is relative cheap.
It depends what you like :).
However there is almost every where fresh market,
fruit and vegetables. I would recommend you take or
let some one go and get it for you, as if the see
white (Muzunguz) the prices go way up, you need to know how
to bargain.
I strongly would recommend that when you move with your family
over to UG to get a secure home, this means with a gate.
I know you have many more questions. please feel free to ask
specifies questions as it is easier for me to answer.

God bless you

Akello/Eve

Dear Akello & All

I got a job in Uganda, I am a business analyst by profession. I am coming to uganda on deputation. I would like to know the itemised pricing for the following.

1. 1 Bedroom studio apartment / 2 bedroom apartments with decent facilities
2. Water cost per bottle
3. Food cost per day if from a restaurat 3 times a day
4. Petrol price per litre
5. Clothes Jeans
           shirts
           T shirts
6. electricity charges
7. Bus fares

I got a job @ UN base in entebee. Let me know about the living cost. I have offered a salary between 3500-- 5000 USD per month tax free.

If you could help me the same it would be great.

Hi all,

The costs of items in Kampala are very diverse. Whatever is it, it may not cost the same in a different location, shop, supermarket, fresh foods market, school, hospital, restaurant, et cetera. There are government schools and private schools, same applies to hospitals.

For about $3, you can get a decent meal with, but you could pay 4 times that in another place without a drink just because the enviroment is elite, and so could be the service, or those things that do not matter when you are hungry.

Shopping: Go to supermarkets like Shoprite or Game that have almost everything, and  prices labelled on items, so you can always expect the same if you go back. No inflations. Relatively cheap, less or more cheap than some things in other places...

Housing: A safe neighborhood, and close enough to your place of work, places you frequent, or school for your child, if you have one.

Transport: Find a call-taxi, or call-motorcycle-taxi guy to pick and drop you in places you want, until you are familiar with getting around.

If you say exactly what you want, I could be more specific. Otherwise, I hope that helps... Good luck to you all ya!

God is good, all the time...
MJJoseph!

I agree with you joseph in some ways.....

however if some one comes from out side i would not recommend a boda boda, it is not save at all. Shoperight and game is expensive. I rather go to the market and get fresh vegetables. good meat you can find in a in closed butcher and it is much cheaper verse shop right.

Housing depends if you go on the internet you pay 10x as much as in the u.s. let some one local you trust (but really trust) go to a broker and find you what you want, the pay for the broker is about 20,000ugx to 25,000ugx be careful as the like to cheat when the see you as a white person.

You can find an apartment for about $500 go to national housing protect. if you have time there is lots out there. do not be afraid of bargain as the natives are use to this and like that. always ask for the "last price" and go lower.

Please if you have any more questions let me know, as i'm an american living in uganda for over 10 years.

(Moderator Note: Excellent contribution, but kindly avoid cap lock on the forum - I have edited the formatting case of your message)

Rent Rs.10,000 Per Month for 1BHK Flat (600 Sq.ft) Food expenses Rs.10,000 Per Month for a Husband, Wife, & a Child, Education of a Child Rs. 5,000 Per Month in the city of Kampala - Uganda

I'm having a hard time understanding clearly if I'm able to live comfortably in Kampala. Some sources say 1500 a month for everything, but other classifieds ask for 1200-2000USD for rent alone. So, in your opinions, can a woman and her child live comfortably on about 600-700 per month for rent and maybe 200-300 on food and transportation? Is this still really high numbers or is this living in slum neighborhoods? If the average rent is 10000 shillings that is only about 4-5US dollars or am I using the wrong conversion websites? I've seen the US dollar equals about 2400 UGX...

I am a corporate strategist, an engineer+MBA. 3 yrs exp and get INR 12 lacs per annum. With my exp and present CTC, how much do you think would be a really good deal for me if I am accepting this offer? BTW, my wife is also working in India with one of the big 4 firms. If we move then she will have to quit her job. Therefore, I will only move if I get a real good deal. My impression is that the company will provide me furnished acco, car etc. How much apart from that I should ask for if those are provided and also how much should I ask for when those are not provided. If there is any Indian, who has good idea about Indian payment structures would probably know better about an equivalent salary.

Regards,
Arka

I found this thread a while ago when I was about moving to Kampala.
I have since moved to the country and have spent 5 months.
I'm writing this thread to help all curious emigrants, hoping it might help a bit.
Please note that the suggestions are basically my opinions from my PERSONAL experience and it's by no means the standards.
Housing:
Getting a house in Kampala isn't a difficult process, but do allow yourself a week or two to go around and choose what you'll like and can afford.
Most Expats I have met prefer living within the proximity of a largely expat community. Also the top of the priorities is Security, access to Kampala city center, international schools and shopping.
Accommodation for a 2 bed room costs about $2000 for a well-furnished 2 bedroom in Bukoto/Naguru area.
It will be much more expensive in Kololo as this is the default choice for top expats.
Other favored locations are Muyenga/Nsambya, Bugolobi and Buziga.
There are decent accommodation in Muyonyo, Ntinda and Ggaba also, but Traffic and Power outages are peculiar with these areas.
Prices do go down but $300-$500 as you go further down out of the city center but Areas close to or with a view of the Lake Victoria command high prices still.
•    Security in Kampala is very OK in general (relative to several cities worldwide) as long as you don't venture into Slums and seedy areas.
•    Traffic can be horrible, but Kampala has a lot of interconnected (often bad) roads. My GPS works good and saves me a lot of time in Traffic.
Furniture:
Good furniture is available for purchase in Kampala, at not too expensive prices in shops like Game and Nakumatt.  However cheap but well-made ones are available on Ggaba road, also on Bukoto-Ntinda road.
Careful though, as some are made out of cheap wood. Stress warranty issues whenever you are making purchases. That might save you later on.
However there are always expats selling their stuff as they leave or change their stuff, look out for these sales on websites such as these or facebook.
Transport:
The Cabs are called “Special Hire” while the buses are called “taxis”. There are also motor bikes called boda boda. Special Hire can be pretty expensive when you are new in town. A trip from city center to suburbs can cost up to 25,000 UGS, ($1=2500UGS * check internet for current rates). BodaBodas cost less and will get you wherever in good time but can be risky, I'll advise you buy a good helmet when you are coming, you can also get in Shops in Kampala but at high costs. It's common to see people hold their own helmets; it's nothing to be ashamed of (apparently).
Taxis (buses in this case) can be uncomfortable and if you don't know where you going exactly you might find yourself in a different place.
Note – for all transportation you'll be fleeced for being a foreigner whether you have a different skin color or accent. After a while you'll know the right prices, don't be afraid to ALWAYS bargain.
Car
Uganda is Right Hand Drive (left Hand traffic). New cars can be pretty expensive. Used cars from the UK and Japan are available and are called Bonds.
Most are sold by Asian business men (Indians and Pakistanis).  Take time out to survey these bonds which are everywhere in Kampala, mostly on the major roads leading out of Kampala.
Most Expats go for crossover SUVs, Toyotas are much loved, as they can be easily maintained, available spares and fuel efficient in most brands. Also they have high 2nd hand value and are resell able. I won't advise you go for Kampala used cars unless you know much about cars and can do the value assessment YOURSELF or by a trusted person. Currently a Toyota RAV4 (1996 -1999) would cost you around UGS20 25Million from the bond. This includes registration and third party insurance.
NOTE* Try to avoid touts and brokers, they do nothing but increase the cost of the cars.
Shopping:
There are decent malls in the city and suburbs. Garden City Mall and Oasis Mall in Nakasero are default for most new foreigners, but as you settle in there are several malls spread all over. I personally know of 10! Though Uganda has its unique definition of what a mall is.
As you move around you'll discover the local markets. Prices in Markets compared to the Malls sharply contrast but I'll advise that till you are accustomed to the local terms and bargaining skills, do not venture wholly into the local market.
Food is cheap when locally grown. Imported stuffs are pricey.
There are organic food markets in Nakawa and Lugogo.
Schools:
International schools are available but pricey, some costs as much as $3500 -$5000 per term.
Most are difficult to get into if you do not book a place early enough, in some cases there are a year waiting lists.
One thing I however noticed is that if you work for a notable company, exceptions can be made.
Also if you have more than one child registering there are special rebates, do ask because you won't be told.
That's my two pence, will add more when I deem fit.
How can I forget the night life? It's the best ever! As with any night adventure watchout for the sleazy and opportunists, so far its been pretty safe for me.
DISCLAIMER: These are entirely the views of an Individual.

Hi. I am very happy to find this blog.
There is no way to get some information of Uganda in Korea.

I've proposed a job position in Uganda, especially Kampala.

The situation
I have 3 daughters...
They proposed me monthly salary, $4,000 US.
I want to arrage a good educational circumstances to my daughters.

My questionaries are followings.
1) The tuition of international school, and private school?
2) I want to bring my car there (Lexus GS350, 2008yrs)
   How much should I pay to register my car there?
3) Is it easy to repair Japanese car there? expensive or cheap?
4) How about the security conditions there?
5) Is there any other thing should I consider while living there?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you so much..

hi members,

I am frm india, my husband has got a job offer in kampala wid salary of 5500$ per month. is it enough for a family of 3. the employer is providing us with accomodation.

anagha wrote:

hi members,

I am frm india, my husband has got a job offer in kampala wid salary of 5500$ per month. is it enough for a family of 3. the employer is providing us with accomodation.

This is a v good salary for Kampala, esp if you have accom provided. I imagine most of your salary will pay school fees however. (I don't have kids so am not expert on international school fees).

To find out more about life in Uganda, you might enjoy reading my blog Diary of a Muzungu.

Good luck!

Lilitaly98 wrote:

I'm having a hard time understanding clearly if I'm able to live comfortably in Kampala. Some sources say 1500 a month for everything, but other classifieds ask for 1200-2000USD for rent alone. So, in your opinions, can a woman and her child live comfortably on about 600-700 per month for rent and maybe 200-300 on food and transportation? ...

Hi Lilitaly98
Yes, a woman and child can live comfortably on about 600-700 per month for rent and yes, spending 200-300 on food and transportation.

I pay 320 usd rent for a 3 bed house (Bukasa / Muyenga). Rent somewhere nr where you work / have to take child to school (if applicable). The worst thing about Kampala is traffic so you will save yourself time and stress being nearby, which will normally mean paying higher rent. Also allow for house staff and security guard; not expensive but still a cost (that you will be expected to cover).

Good luck! Kampala is a great place to live. Pls check out my blog Diary of a Muzungu for a feel of life as an expat in Uganda.

Hi ,

Iam offered 3000$ monthly in Kampala with accommodation and travel extra , kindly suggest rent for fully furnished and secure apt  and place where most Indian lives ..

Regards
Yakshit

hi,
i am bahelor.
i have got an offer from company in kampala.
the salary would be in range of $1000- $1500 with accommodation on company expense.
do you think is it enough to live and save money??

it can help.

Hi All
Can sombody suggest USD 1000 per month will be sufficient for family of 4 (2 adults & 2 kids) for groceries, fuel, power and other expenses
Thanks for your help

Sudhir

hi I though I write back as per your questions.one u must know that Uganda is a very peaceful nation that cares for all.we have he affordable international schools,that the little girls can join.the pay being offered can give u a good life here.all u need to do is plan .4000USD multiply by 2500 is what u get in Ugandan shillings.home u travelled to Uganda n u r having gd time

Hello,good morning, i can help...1000$ can be enough for all that in a month for kids, housing and feeds...am billy,keep in touch...bye

Hi All,

Can some one tell me that if it is possible to live a good life with $1000 salary plus accommodation? in Kampala.

1. How much is needed for expenses per month?
2. How much would I be able to save from this amount.

lemisho wrote:

Hi All,

Can some one tell me that if it is possible to live a good life with $1000 salary plus accommodation? in Kampala.

1. How much is needed for expenses per month?
2. How much would I be able to save from this amount.

Read through the posts in the forum categories list right hand side of this page for cot of living. Also try www.numbeo.com

How much you save depends on your lifestyle and living expenses.

Do you get medical insurance cover and transport paid for.
Does company pay for food costs, power, water and gas.
If not you need to factor those costs into your monthly expenses.

Helloo Friends...

Greetings... We are a family of 3 and are planning to shift to Kampala. Kindly advise on what will be cost of living on a monthly basis and school fees. Car and accommodation will be provided. Will a $1000 be enough for a family of 3 along with school fees. Also if anyone can advise us on how are the Day care facilities here in Kampala.

mansi8583 wrote:

Helloo Friends...

Greetings... We are a family of 3 and are planning to shift to Kampala. Kindly advise on what will be cost of living on a monthly basis and school fees. Car and accommodation will be provided. Will a $1000 be enough for a family of 3 along with school fees. Also if anyone can advise us on how are the Day care facilities here in Kampala.

Welcome to the forum.... :) 

Please take the time to read through the posts in the forum categories list, upper right hand side of this page for information.