Finally moving to Puerto Rico

Well the day has come and we are finally leaving tomorrow morning for Puerto Rico and I am so excited. I haven't been there in a few years so I expect that some changes have taken place but I adapt pretty well.

The first thing obviously that we have to do is find a place to live and i have several copies of houses in different areas that we will want to go and see.  l just hope that our search does not last too long since we will be staying at our "Comadre's" house in Humacao. and we do not want to be a burden for longer than necessary.  So our search will probably begin on Tuesday morning. I will update periodically on what we find.

In regard to the moving company, we decided on "La Flor De Mayo" since it was less expensive and we seemed to have a better rapport with the gentlemen who called us for the estimate, in addition to sending us the copy of the estimate.  La Rosa Del Monte or whatever the other company was didn't even call back or followup with us once he gave us the estimate over the phone 

So once we have found a house, we will arrange to have our belongings shipped to our new home.

So this will be my last posts until we are settled and then I will advise everyone on how things went and are going. 

Hasta la Vista!!!!

Good luck, Tonie. Just remember, it will probably take longer than you expect to finalize your new housing arrangements. Everything in PR takes longer than you'd want it to, especially when it counts. So try not to get stressed about it.

Yeah, congratulations to you!  I can't wait to hear more of how things went with your move and settling in.  I wish you all the best, blessings to you!

Hi there, so we are finally here in Humacao in our comadre's house and we went to see two houses yesterday in Luquillo and Fajardo.  The first house was nice near the Kiosos de Luquillo and it was a little bit in the country but it was very near neighbors and it didn't really have a patio or anything.  We were considering it but since you could practically hear the neighbors sneeze, that was not good and the owner's sister lives next door which also isn't too good.  Not that we are noisy people, but we don't need people in our business.

The next house was really nice and we would've picked that one(even though we have many more to see) but it had a very climbing driveway that I know that I couldn't really master. Otherwise the house was nice, had a nice kitchen, appliances and the price was right.

So now onto the next few houses to see in Ceiba, Fajardo and Naguabo.  Then maybe next week to see some houses in the northern part, maybe, Barceloneta, Quebradilla, Manati and Vega Baja.

The weather here is great but very hot and the mosquitos have been having a field day with us but I got some more "OFF" today and hopefully after a while they will see that we are here to stay and will leave us alone.

So I will advise on the otber things that happen.  We did go to the Kiosos of Luquillo to eat and that was fun.

See ya later.

Tonie

I am in Luquillo and would not change it for anything, even with a 1 hour commute to the city everyday. Anywhere you live in PR you will have two principal annoyances: neighbors noise and traffic.

If you choose wisely, you might be able to avoid at least one. :)

The Luquillo commute has much improved with the opening of Route 66, hasn't it, Fond of Ibiza? Still far though.

Saves me about 15min, each way.

Do you have to pass through el tunel Minillas? That's the killer.

Everything after 66 merges with 26 sucks until about 9:30am, but yes, when there is no traffic near the airport, I can always count on the good ole tunnel.

Welcome to the island, Tonie. Hopefully you'll find a house to your liking soon!

It is good to hear from you, Tonie~  Are you going to rent a house?  Good luck with your searches!

Well thank you everyone. Haven't found house yet but today we went to visit family in San German. Will start search again next week. We are not rushing but want a place of our soon. Many houses that we had picked are no longer available, so the search intensifies next week after the holiday when we are going to the playa. Everyone have a great and safe Memorial Day to honor all our servicemen and woman.

AdiosTonie

You'll find the perfect home eventually :)  I'm surprised the ones you've picked are gone already.  Maybe that is a good sign for the economy, hmmm.  Hope you and your family have a great holiday this weekend, bless!

[email protected] is the real estate agent we used! She is great!
We are moving to dorado.

Next week, we are moving our search to the northern part of the island. Maybe Quebradilla, Barceloneta, Man at I around one of those towns. will keep you updated on the search & hopefully our future home. We plan on renting since we are not sure of the towns, then maybe in a year or two, we will see about buying

Right now, the bugs are eating us alive. We have tried "OFF" but it isn't working too well. I guess our skin is new & juicy

Oh, no~ Have you tried B vitamins or Skin So Soft from Avon, not sure if it is available down there?  I've heard that helps.  We've gone on vacations and my husband gets eaten alive but I won't have gotten one single bite.  I guess they don't like me, lol.

We'll be renting, too, just to make sure that the area is where we want to be.

Thanks for the tip about Skin so soft.  I had completely forgotten about that.  We are still looking and may go toward the northern part of the island next week when we rent a car(we don't want to keep imposing on our host to take us around) and besides, she doesn't like to go far.

We will be looking in Quebradilla, Hatillo, Arecibo and maybe Manati.  There are many nice houses out there but we have to choose one that is right for us.  I want city life and my husband wants country, so we will have to find something that will satisfy both of us.

When are you coming down? In any event go luck in your search.

Tonie

Oh, we can't come for long periods yet but we are coming next Feb. for a 17 day visit to Rincon.  I so wish we could go long term but we may have to wait for a bit until our girls are more settled.  I think it may be close, though.  :)