Malta public transport

Hi,

I'm moving to Malta in about ten days. Since I'll be working in Sliema, I was wondering about the commute options to Sliema. Realtors told me Sliema is supposed to be the most expensive place on the island to live in, so I'm looking to Valetta and Msida to let a flat. Do buses here arrive on time and how long would it take to get from, let's say, center of Msida to the ferry station (for Valetta) in Sliema during the season? How about the ferry from Valetta, how long does it takes to get to Sliema and how reliable is it?

Many thanks for all the info.  I promise to buy a beer to anyone who gives me a comprehensive info on this :)

Hi Daniel,
Public transport is ok here (not good but ok!). There's a lot of buses that run to Sliema and you'll find they don't stick to the time table and are often too full to stop. Now I must say I've not used them at commute times in the morning but mainly during the day and evening. They are however pretty frequent, think about every 10 mins so not normally too long a wait. I simply use google to work out routes and approx. timings.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Msida/F … 909263!3e3

The ferry between Valletta and Sliema goes every 30 minute and takes about 10 minutes, http://www.vallettaferryservices.com/schedule.html.

Tim

This would also be a major issue for me.
Since my future workplace will be in St. Julians and I am actually looking for property in Bugibba.
Hopefully the buses are not that bad (as advertised by some), but again, I was living in Belgrade where the busses are, well, special :)
D.

from my experience, around 16:00 it is a lottery to get in a bus if your on a wrong stop couse they are always full

msida (from roudabout) to slieme ferry about 15-20 mins bus drive during rush hours (just talking from my exp)

just note that valleta ferry doesnt drive if weather is bad ;)

p.s. dobrodosli na maltu, nadam se da cemo se i uzivo upoznati

I've been know to miss 4~5 buses because they are full, in Belgrade of course. So I think I can manage somehow. But my future plans will be to buy a scooter or some similar mode of transportation.

P.S.
Hvala na dobrodošlici, vidimo se 100%, samo da se dokopam ostrva (Jul).
D.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info MKer and Duxx. It's likely that in the end I'll probably rent something in Sliema, but it's still surely useful info. I'm intent on keeping my promise, so feel free to drop me your contact info in a private message. If you're up for a beer of course :)

PS : Hvala na drobrodošlici i od mene. Nadam se toga i ja.

My feeling is the same!
I would rather avoid the long bus commutes.

P.S.
Pozdrav driznar! :)

Im commuting from Bugibba daily to St Julians, and the trip usually takes 20 to 30 mins. Havent had any difficulties so far. The bus 12 runs every 10-15 mins or so aswell, or you can take bus 222 from Imhasel stop aswell.. its approx 15mins walk away from Bugibbas bus terminal

Just seen this sign in Valletta bus station....

"One bus takes 35 cars off the road'

They must be employing very aggressive bus drivers these days!!

:D

Terry

20~30min sounds great! That is quite manageable.
:)