Considering a big move to Hanoi from Canada

That is so very true!  I have thought of that as well!  Who knows where the wind will blow me :)

There's plenty of wind blowing about in the ESL industry here, so it's nice to hear that you're prepared for it.  You might want to pack a polygraph machine, along with your windbreaker.

You're arriving at the best time possible - the end of the school year!  Don't expect anything to happen until mid-June, at a minimum (pseudo-offers non-withstanding).

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the note.  Mid June is just fine, it will give me some time to explore.  Any tips for me to watch out for with regards to pseudo offers?

Sketchy details, no willingness to commit, dwelling on a negative aspect of your CV.  The Vietnamese hate to say "No." and would rather lead you on than disappoint; even at the risk of colossal disappointment later.

Your time means nothing to most administrators and hiring managers. Some conduct interviews simply to practice their English, while others will have teachers do a demo class with no intention of actually hiring a foreign teacher. It's genius, even if it is dirty.  Charge the students the going rate for a class with a native speaker, without having to pay the teacher.  I won't do more than a 15 minute demo, with only admin. present, because of this practice. 

I was told that I'd be starting with a school one morning, only to be informed in the afternoon that they decided to hire a female instead.  The reason?  The previous male had doted on the prettier females in his classes. I wanted to say 1000 different things to them, but I gave them no response instead.  Responding with silence isn't my strong suite, but I've gotten the silent treatment many times over the years, so I'm slowly developing the skill.

The New Hanoian, Craig's List, Dave's ESL Cafe, Vietnamworks.com and Career Jet are the primary sites used by job seekers/employers. 

You need a teaching certificate.  In Ho Chi Minh you could probably get by without o0ne, but up here it will make finding work much harder...or not  I wouldn't be surprised to see you running a language center 3 days after arrival!  TIV- This is Vietnam.  Nothing really surprises me anymore.

I'll be getting the details on a school that may need several teachers next month.  I'll send you the info. when I have it.

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the detailed information.  It's good to know what to expect.  As I told me friend there, give me the good, the bad and the ugly.  You have done that, thank you!

I would certainly appreciate any good leads that you have, thank you for keeping me in mind.

No problem.

I am an English Teacher with 7 years of experience. I am a non native Teacher but I have trained native Teachers in the past. I am staying in Malaysia but would like to work in Vietnam. I am from Pakistan but I grew up in USA. I didn't finish my degree but I have got my transcripts.  I have Diploma in TESOL.I just want to say that I have always overcome the obstacles despite me being a non-native.Is there anyway you could help me out finding a job. I would be grateful to you.
                                                                                                                                    Sincerely.

This school may be looking for online teachers.

http://topica.edu.vn/

Trụ sở chính: Phòng 310, nhà A17, số 17, Tạ Quang Bửu, Hà Nội
Điện thoại:  (04) 3868.3713
Web: www.topica.edu.vn
[email protected]

kelly0226 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

After lots of back and forth a decision has been made!   I am...coming to Hanoi!!  I have already started selling off all of my worldy possessions to embark on a new adventure!  I leave the end of May and can't wait to start my new life in Hanoi.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post.  I have taken all into consideration and can't wait to keep you posted on my journey.

Thanks again!

Kelly

Hi Kelly! Congrats on your big decision. I'm glad you've decided to go to Hanoi despite what a few commenters have said. As a Vietnamese-American headed to Hanoi this summer myself and having been to Vietnam quite a few times, there's always the good and bad with any country. There are many things we can't control when we leave our comfort zones, but life's too short! Enjoy!

Did you go to Hanoi? Hanoi is a small but beatiful city. You can discover many interesting things in Hanoi. Wish to meet you in Hanoi! :)

Thanks Mark, just seeing this now, I will check it out.

Kelly

i dont know what to say Kelly. If u are having enough money u can come and see, look around and find out. Im here in Hanoi and nice to help you if i can. U can go back to Canada if u dont like here no one can stop you but anyhow Canada is better for living from most of foreigner views