"Brain of the Bahamas (failed)"

I came fourth in the final of the "Champion of Knowledge" quiz in Nassau in 1970 (if I have the year right) - and second in the national Spelling Bee that same year. Those were triumphs in a long life with very few triumphs! A friend of mine immediately dubbed me "Brain of the Bahamas brackets failed" - something that has always amused me, and no doubt him too, if he's still alive.

My wife and I - newly married, then, and newly arrived from Toronto on our way back to Australia - look back with enormous affection to the three years we spent in Nassau, and often speak of them. We got so much delight out of our daily lives that few events stand out in our memories. I maintain a person blog with nearly brief 200 posts, but not one tells of our life there. My latest post, a couple of days ago, mentions the Champion of Knowledge thing, and some EB members might want to look up the post just to see what I wrote. (The blog is available via my EB Profile, I think.)  I'll really have to delve into my memories and record some of our adventures there - just in case anybody is interested in the way things were 40 or 50 years ago.

Earlier this month (August) I published a piece on my blog called "Rum and Coca Cola", about how my bride and I first went as expats to Nassau from Toronto. The three years we were there - 1967-70 - were the happiest days of our lives. It's a long time ago now, and things are totally different now; but the post does give a brief glimpse of how we found it back then.