Anyone live on a yacht in Gibraltar?

Anyone living or knows anyone living on a yacht on a permanent basis in Gibraltar at one of the marinas?

Feasibility, pros and cons?

Expensive plus difficult to get a berth.

More people are living at the
http://www.alcaidesamarina.com/seccion/en/webcam/104/
in La Linea and commuting to work in Gib

Regards

Grumpy

The Spanish have been criticised by Amnesty International the extra few quid in GIB could be worth it.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/a … sive-force

GrumpyOldBloke wrote:

Expensive plus difficult to get a berth.

More people are living at the
alcaidesamarina.com/seccion/en/webcam/104/
in La Linea and commuting to work in Gib

Thanks for the heads up about the difficulty of securing a berth in Gib. I looked at the rates for mooring and they came to less than the cost of a studio flat for a modest sized yacht, though of course there's maintenance to consider which tenants don't have to worry about.

I had a look at that Spanish marina and noticed it was considerably cheaper, including being able to buy a permanent mooring for not much more than my current council tax bill here in the UK, albeit one without hook-ups.

To your knowledge, is there much of a problem there with theft or nuisances?

Like most people researching a move, I worry about living in the Spanish side due to health care costs, potential tax issues and queues at the border, plus the usual nuisances about living in proximity to an area with high unemployment. However, I can certainly see the attraction because accommodation costs are considerably cheaper.

Thanks for your advice.

-Jowo- wrote:

To your knowledge, is there much of a problem there with theft or nuisances?.

One of my friends lives there when he is not travelling the oceans.

He has lost a bicycle and a towel  :( 
Bicycles in Spain dissappear very quickly.

The marina has a guarded main entrance but there is an unguarded side entrance
The piers are also gated

At least it is somewhere to berth whilst you look at other possibilities.

Regards

Grumpy.

I did a google search of crime in that marina. The observations here from a few years ago are that outboard motors and dinghies are especially vulnerable to theft as they are wanted by cigarette smugglers, plus cars parked by visitors to the area are prone to theft but motor vehicle theft is well known in La Linea, so nothing startling there.

In another, thread it mentioned that crews sometimes leave the pontoon gates open and another person believes they are easy to bypass which is disputed by another visitor who says the security staff are good at closing doors left open.

ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?311773-Alcaidesa-marina

This thread lists some reviews of that marina, pros and cons

noonsite.com/Members/sue/R2012-02-22-2

I always wonder why people want to live on a boat in Gib, sure during the summer its great weather, but I know people who come through the winter after being in a boat and they look like refugee's being tossed around by the swell or high winds, boats also in need of expensive repairs etc.   I was once an admirer of boat dwellers but after see what happens over the winter you couldn't pay me to live on a boat.   Unless it was in the Caribbean of course :)

Refugees thats amusing on the upside if you cant stand the place you can sail to fairer shores.