VIPER based on marriage

I am married to a Brazil and we applied for a VIPER visa at our consulate in January. After having applied, we withdrew the application two months later in March as we were unsure of what we wanted to do - relocate to Brazil or remain where I stay. Subsequently, it was decided that we want to relocate to Brazil, so my spouse has left to return home and I am here.

Is it possible to apply again at the Consulate or would it be better to apply for the visa in Brazil?

I hope someone has some advice!

Hello ab43452,

Not an easy question to answer and one really would need more information.

Since you applied for the VIPER Permanent Visa at a Consulado-Geral do Brasil abroad and subsequently withdrew the application, they may be rather reluctant to accept a new application. It's reasonable to believe that they will think you're just wasting their time and that you will give up in the middle of the process again. That said, I don't think that they can REFUSE to accept your application if you insist.

It would be very helpful to know if you were married in Brazil or if you have already registered the marriage with the Consulado in the country where the marriage took place (if a foreign marriage). In either of these two cases, it might be more expedient to apply for a VITUR Tourist Visa, come to Brazil and then apply for the VIPER Permanent Visa through the Policia Federal here in Brazil. The documents required will all be the same and you'll have to register any foreign marriage with the 1º Cartório in Brasília, but applying here would allow you to remain in Brazil, obtain a work permit and work in this country while the visa is being processed. The only drawback to this option is that you would not be able to leave Brazil for periods longer than 90 days at a time until the visa is issued. Once you have been granted "Permanência Definitiva" you are allowed to be outside of Brazil for up to 2 years before your permanent status would be revoked.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Hi,

Thank you for your post. We were married in my home country and have registered the marriage at the Consulate, so we have the little certificate. The consulate is willing to accept the application and we can apply again. I am just wondering if it will be better to apply here as I have a job at this point in time here. However, if I can work in Brazil this may also be an option.