About investment & giving birth in Brazil

Hello,
Actually, I heard that investment in Brazil is not that difficult, since we plan to give birth to our baby in Brazil, I told my husband about the investment Idea. He accepted it, but according to him, what type of investment that can be done there? We have no idea about the work that he can establish in Brazil and the minimum amount of money to do this. We only know about the Brazilian coffee and nothing else :) 
So please would you- as experts- give me some ideas about the possible and most common ways for foreigners'  simple investments there?
- Would you guys recommend a nice , clean , secure and reasonable place, Is Sao Paulo a good choice?

The second thing, I need some one who gave birth there to contact with. Is it even possible to arrange for all this without having the Portugese language??
Honestly I'm so worried and need to know about each and every single step about giving birth and its expences.
If any one tried a very good hospital, doctor, clinic ... etc please give us some information. This is my first baby , so I have no experience neither in the country nor in the delivery itself  :(
Thank you so much in advance

Hi All,

Just so everybody on the forum knows, our member is looking for accounts of your personal experiences on these issues. I've responded to the questions and she is looking for you personal insights to back up the information that I gave her.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Moving to another country is an adventure you can't take it lightly!!!

Beside all paperwork, looking for houses, work etcetera its very important to learn the language first!!!
You can not expect that in every country they speak English.

When you are pregnant for the first time, it can be a wonderful experience but maybe you have also a lot of questions.
In this special time you need the support and care of your love ones. Why you want to give birth into a hospital in a foreign country where there is no family or friends around to support you? Where you don't speak the language?
What will you do when something happen to you or to your unborn child (God forbid that this will happen)?
Do you know how the health care system work?

I don't want to take that risk!

Anyway, you will get more respond and answers to all your questions if you post on the Brazil forum, you can get there by clicking on this link

All the best!

Mr William I asked you about the visa, citizenship and the rules related to it and thank you , you answered me.
But I did not ask you or wanted to ask any one about these specific details ( the investment rules,  the life expences in Brazil, hospitals etc..) privately. I'm asking in the forum to get as much information as possible.
I'm not looking for a confirmation, I'm looking for details and don't want to bother people by sending messages.
Any way thank you every one.

Sorry about that, I expressed it in the wrong way. Have edited the original post to reflect what I really meant to say.

Living proof that I shouldn't post when I'm dead tired! Had a horrible day yesterday, went to Rio only to find myself in the middle of a bus strike. All in all a nightmarish 15 hour journey there and back to Macaé all for five minutes at the bank!

It's ok Mr. William.  you are the best and deserve so many thanks for following with us and for precious information you give to us   :one
Hope you enjoyd your time in Rio

I would recommend paying out money for the private hospital for giving birth. It is worth every penny, I would say the private hospital maternity wards are on par with hospital in the United States, and they might just have doctors available who speak enough English to communicate reasonable. This is what I have heard and seen from friends and doctors in Sao Paulo.

As for investments, I assume you meant stocks. AMBEV and Petrobras are the two big ones you want in your portfolio, along with some commodities, and then some riskier stocks. However, you should look into the financial markets in London and New York as you can play both at opening time with the way the Brazilian time zone is set up. It is very nice.

If you meant investments concerning houses, or appreciable goods, then I would suggest being very picky on housing location. I believe Brazil is looking towards a local housing market collapse in the Sao Paulo region however you would still retain value on property in middle to high income areas and built out beach communities. Some places would be Paulista area, and Moema. Look for local area services, ease of access, and somewhere you would enjoy the lifestyle.

Good luck in your endeavors.

HELLO THERE,  CYBER-PAL,

GIVING BIRTH IN BRAZIL IS A DEFINITELY PRIVATE -CLINIC  BEST CHOICE...  PUBLIC HOSPITALS IN BRAZIL ARE WORSE THAN A ZOO... OR QUITE LIKE...  NOW, A PLACE TO LIVE AND INVEST AMONG THE BEST ARE = FORTALEZA, NATAL, CURITIBA, RIO GRANDE DO SUL, MATO GROSSO. FORGET ABOUT SAO PAULO, OR RIO DE JANEIRO, UNLESS YOU'VE GOT BODDY GUARDS 24-7... GOOD LUCK DEAR FRIEND.....

Hi tonygee7,

Actually the crime rate in Fortaleza is far worse than São Paulo or Rio. There is no place in Brazil that is crime free or even safe if we apply North American standards. But, where is there a truly safe place in the world? People get robbed and killed in New York City, London, Toronto and Paris all the time too.

Starting up a business in Brazil is never easy, but one stands a much greater chance (depending on the kind of business) to make a go of it in São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro or Belo Horizonte since (in exactly that order) they have the largests GDPs.

So, while I respect YOUR opinion let's not try and scare others off. Everybody is different and we do all have the right to think what WE want to about any place. Sure those cities are bad, but they're NOT the worst in Brazil by any means and the statistics prove that.

I've lived in Brazil for going on 13 years now, in a number of different cities including São Paulo and now in Rio de Janeiro. If one uses all the reasonable safety precautions that they should when they travel to any country there's no extreme danger here. In all my years here I've never had a problem because I know how to keep from making myself a target.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team