Panama for single mom and teen daughter...?

So glad to have found this forum!

I'm a single mom with a teenage daughter; both of us excited about the possibility of relocating from Canada to Panama.

This is not a spur-of-the-moment thing...we've been looking into it off and on for the past 3-4 years.  My head is now spinning from all my internet research and I need to connect with some real people who have made this move.

I have a modest source of income from a private source; a job in Panama is not a must but I would like to work a bit teaching English perhaps, to supplement our income.  We also do NOT want to be doing nothing all day every day....we want to meet people and find a way to reach out to the less fortunate, if possible.

We have the geographical location narrowed down to the Pacific coast.  We're fairly confident and street-smart travelers ( we've traveled through rural Costa Rica twice, as well as Jamaica) but I still want us to feel safe...so a safe community is a priority as well.

Any advice on the best places for families, ways to find quality, affordable housing, transportation, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi phoenix71,

I suggest you explore the site and read the discussions, there was a lot of discussion to read and little by little you may find some interesting information about Panama which can then help you in your decision making. Here is the link : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=244

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

I think the response has been muted because you present a very difficult, somewhat conflicting scenario.  But, knowing very little about you (or anything else), I'll wade in even though I am not an expert on all things Panama:

- You want "affordable" housing based on a "modest" source of income.  This is tough to assess because your idea and my idea of "affordable" and "modest" may not be close. The fact that you would like or need to supplement your income (see below) tells me that you're may have a $1,500 - $2,000 a month budget. Less than that and you're not "living" you're just "existing," in my opinion.  This income range would be the minimum I think based on your age (not old) and dependent.

- Generally the Panama interior offers the cheapest living but requires you to "live like a Panamanian."  This is not a derogatory reference, but means to most people a small, simply and sparsely furnished house with a water reserve tank and no A/C. It offers function only and is likely situated in a Panamanian community (verses an expat community).  This may be near the Pacific but not in or around a beachfront development or community, in my opinion.

- The more you move down the scale on "affordability," the less education options are presented.  You don't state that you and your teenager are fluent in Spanish so I assume you are not.  So, "affordability" conflicts a bit with decent education options as well as availability of activities and social life every teenager I've raised or known expects - which are nonexistent in many of the "affordable" areas, again depending on your definition.  Some may disagree, but once again it depends on how important quality education is to you and your teenager.  Put it this way, no one moves to Panama because of the quality of their education system.

- I think you need to address the needs of your teenager first (education and social life) because this will restrict your living options far more than finding an affordable, cheap place to live somewhere near the Pacific.

- Supplementing your income as a teacher probably should be ruled out.  Employment by expats is not allowed and even if permitted under some the newer, vague provisions applicable to "professionals" you will not find the process easy, cheap or timely (that's the Panama way).  And, if you do secure employment, your pay will be less than 25% of the salary a similar position would generate in the U.S. or Canada, more or less.  The average wage in Panama is around $500 a month and the hours are very long to earn that.

Good luck.

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum please + register in the business directory)

Saw Man makes a very good point.  Your criteria is vague and you should do some more exploring of the country before you make any decisions regarding a move. 

There are many different styles of living and climates in Panama.  Even though we live on the Pacific side in what is considered rural Panama the rents are very high because there is such a demand.  The Coronado beaches area is the same unless you can find something in one of the small towns.  You need to have boots on the ground to find something reasonably priced and it is likely going to be a house that is not really up to North American standards.

Most people will tell you that you shouldn't make a commitment of more than six months.  I agree, but I would recommend even a year.  The first six months are spent getting over the culture shock and getting settled, the next is when the business stops, things begin to settle and "real" life begins.

In our area most ExPat children have their public school education supplemented by some form of home schooling/correspondence or they go to private school.  You should probably consider that in your budgeting.  The schooling system here is very lax and is mostly memorization, children are not taught critical thinking skills.  I know this because I volunteer to teach English to the local children at the language school in town and it is one of the things that drives me crazy when working with the kids. 

I have seen many people come and go in my two years living here.  It is a struggle for children to try and fit in and yes, there is not much of a social life.  Many kids are finished school by the time they are sixteen or seventeen and most girls will be pregnant shortly thereafter.  The few lucky ones will go on to the public university and the even luckier ones with money will go to private university.  Even among those, many will not finish there schooling and will become laborers, farmers, fishermen or stay at home moms.  There is nothing wrong with any of this, every profession is a noble and needed one.  The problem is that in the campo there is so much potential with these kids.

As for you working, Saw Man is correct.  Rule that out unless you want to work under the table at a restaurant or hotel for a few hours a week (they can call this volunteer work) making only a few dollars an hour.  The teachers union is very strong here and unless you have a contract with an international school all you will be able to do is volunteer.  It's very rewarding but it will not supplement your income.

Reading back on my reply it all seems to be gloom and doom but it isn't.  I love living in Panama, I love where I am and I love my community.  It's just not for everybody.  If you are considering making the move I'd urge you to take a very close look at the community, the amenities, and the cost of living and what benefits it will provide for your teen. And beware of people advertising their housing developments. 

Best of luck in your research!
Karen Ann

Hi there, I'm thinking moving to Panama with my 2 kids (14 and 13) can you tell me your experience? Are you happy there? Schools, cost of living, housing.. etc

Thank you!

Mercedes

phoenix71 wrote:

So glad to have found this forum!

I'm a single mom with a teenage daughter; both of us excited about the possibility of relocating from Canada to Panama.

This is not a spur-of-the-moment thing...we've been looking into it off and on for the past 3-4 years.  My head is now spinning from all my internet research and I need to connect with some real people who have made this move.

I have a modest source of income from a private source; a job in Panama is not a must but I would like to work a bit teaching English perhaps, to supplement our income.  We also do NOT want to be doing nothing all day every day....we want to meet people and find a way to reach out to the less fortunate, if possible.

We have the geographical location narrowed down to the Pacific coast.  We're fairly confident and street-smart travelers ( we've traveled through rural Costa Rica twice, as well as Jamaica) but I still want us to feel safe...so a safe community is a priority as well.

Any advice on the best places for families, ways to find quality, affordable housing, transportation, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking to move with my 2 teens too, let me know about your experience please, thanks!

that young bets they learn Spanish before you make the move ,, fi they are true school age it will cost you 20,000 a year for private school here ,, live in the country and eat like a panaman ian ,, i spend 600 a month of food

Thanks for your replay, yes school will be cheaper than USA and sane quality of education?? International school..
How is the process to get the permanet residency?  How is the tax system? Etc tanks!