Cost of car ownership/import in Lithuania

Dear all,

I'm moving to Vilnius after the summer, to study at MRU. I'm planning to buy a car there/import a car, however I can't seem to find that much information regarding car ownership.

Is it correct that you don't need to pay any road tax? What is the average cost of car insurance (MPTL)? Any other costs I'm overlooking?

Apart from the actual cost of ownership, I'm also curious as to how easy it is to import a car from another EU-country into Lithuania, or if it's more convenient to buy a car in Lithuania. Anybody who knows something about this?

Any other thoughts concerning car ownership in Lithuania are appreciated.

With kind regards,

Martijn

Hello Martin,

yes, that`s right there is no road taxes. There is included in petrol/diesel.

Import car from EU, there is no taxes to.

Insurance is cheap - there could be from 60EUR-200EUR, depends on age and car. (Third-party only). Kasco is more expensive and its depends on car and age too, if your car is 7-8 years old, I advice to choose Kasco too.

have a nice day :)

Hello,i live in Ukraine,i am really interested in buying a car from Lithuania,which i could come and pick up in Belarus and drive it back to Ukraine,i have searched on someone based in Lithuania,who could help me,i will be very glad if you could give me any useful informations on how to go about it or if you know anybody that can help me.Thank y]ou.