Hanoi and HCM city

I just came to Hanoi for a week from HCM city. I noticed that as compare to HCM city, Hanoi is much running on a slower pace. In the sense of traffic, people, and the food places too. Seems to me the food in HCM city is much more and with plenty of varieties. Some says that HCM is expensive but my short experience is that is more expensive here in Hanoi. However, there is no lack of foreigners as the Old Quarters have plenty people from over the world. Probably from my observation is if you in Hanoi you would love the many Lakes, and in HCM city you have to love the many great parks there. Anybody can add the similarities and differences of these two largest Vietnam cities.

Your overview is very correct

I have traveled to Hanoi when I was in my teens and can vaguely remember the beauty of it. I would one day love to return for a visit.

Hanoi has bad climate, but communities of expats are kinder and work better there - just have a look how busy are Hanoian online forums compared to Saigonese ones. Or enter an expat (not tourist) pub and feel the attitude there - like a big village, kind. Saigon, honesty is an ugly and annoying city with terrible distances if u must travel, Hanoi is more intact, more Chinese style. Ppl say Hanoi is for lobbying, SG is for business. Both are expensive as u r a foreigner without any local knowledge and language. Hanoi is more interesting for a tourist who searches for `romantic`places.
Vietnamese ppl say Hanoian girls or grls from the North are usually nicer. Depending on taste imho.