What are salaries really like?

So I'm going to be in Bahrain soon and will be looking to be employed by a local company. I recently got an offer for a role within a marketing agency but have turned it down for a variety of reasons. However, I want to gauge what salaries are really like, in my sector, in Bahrain.

Trouble is, my area of expertise isn't a common thing in Bahrain, yet. Still very up and coming. I guess you could class me as a web designer come digital marketer come social media expert/email marketing bod. I have technical skills as well as marketing skills and design skills.

The salary I was offered was 1200BHD/month. I'm not here asking whether that's good or bad or whether I can afford accommodation etc. But I want to know if this is what I should expect in the area that I work in, in Bahrain.

I did a lot of googling on it, but the numbers I saw seemed very airy fairy and I'd like to get some real life examples.

1200BHD/month is less than what I earn post-tax in the UK. Marginally, but still less. So I just wanted to find out if I should just expect this. I'm fine with that. But I'd really like to hear from people who are working within the digital marketing sector and/or web design.

Cheers guys :)

Edited to ad, that this salary/package was inclusive of accommodation, 1 flight a year back home would be given, medical insurance provided, 30 days holiday. Which is the sort of what i expected.

It really all comes down to your experience. I am also in the digital marketing sector but with over 10 years of experience. In senior management positions, you should look at 2.5K+. In mid-management positions, 1.8K+. All Bahraini Dinars. Your salary 1.2K with no accommodation is not enough for your level of expertise and background in my opinion. You should always push for more.

Thanks, brightonguy.

My experience is quite varied, but I do have around 8 years experience in the digital area. It's solid experience in a bunch of different sectors. Over here I've always been told never to undersell my experience, but because I know and understand the job market here, it's easy for me to suss things out in terms of salary. And push when I know I should be asking for more.

I have been noticing that in the Middle East in general, the number of years experience seems to be quite an important part in the job descriptions. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

The initial offer on the table was 1K. After an initial turn down it was upped to 1.2K. Don't know if they'd be willing to up it again. The role would entail managing some people too. Not just doing the usual day to day work.

No harm in asking for more is my POV. If you don't ask, you don't get, right?

Cheers!

That is true. 1.2 K+ the accommodation could be just ok but without it, it's a no.

My degree is in mechanical engineering.  I am an American.  The Bahraini engineers with whom i worked made 300 to 500 BD / month.  They struggle.

My company gave me a 1200BD housing / car allowance.  You  can live fairly comfortably on 1200 BD.  Apartments in Juffair will run about 350/month (get a room mate).  A car will cost you 120 BD per month at Marshall Car Rental in Juffair.  Don't rent a new car.  Gas is cheap, go to the open market for veggies and meat/chicken/fish.  Shop the souqs for bargains.  In fact, be sure to bargain the markets, too.

You should do ok and have a little fun money left over.

Tommy

Not sure I would move for less money than you can earn in the UK - why do that??

Unfortunately, in your sector and many others, there is a huge number of people from countries who are willing to work for a lot, lot, lot less than Western Expats.  Why would they pay big bucks for someone with the same qualifications/experience as someone they can get for a quarter of the price?

Sorry to put a downer on it but that's just the way it is here - more and more western expats being pushed out for much cheaper labour.

Hey...I totally agree with you.  That's why I got shipped back to Houston.
Oh well!
However, I would take less money to go back.  I LOVE it over there!

Scottrace - I pretty much figured that would be part of the thing as well. So expected a bit of that. If I can at least get a salary matching what I make in the UK, I'd be okay with that.

Moving to be with my SO. He'll be out in Bahrain for a good long while. Need to close that long distance gap.