Best Clothes Washing Cleaner?

I have been using a black bottle of Carrefour liquid. It's concentrated, and the label says 'Protection des Couleurs Foncees'.

I guess there isn't any bleach in it. My clothes come out smelling lightly of cleanser and, generally, clean. Somewhere, deep inside my primal instincts, I yearn for fabric softener, so my clothes are softer to the touch and may retain their 'new clothes' image a while longer. This is something I have dwelt on before working overseas but now, after reading an article on the delights of quality bedding (you're there 1/3 of your life) my faint, innocent, meandering thought has grown into an appetite for soft, sleek apparel.

Do not make the mistake of confusing this with the desire to wear the undergarments of a womanly nature. The one occasion I was dressed, by the owner, in her burqa is one I'd prefer not to repeat. I fully sympathise with our friends who have to adorn those garments on a regular basis.

I use Comfort Fabric Softener, if that helps.

Clothes smells lovely, and once ironed feel new again.

I agree  :)
Comfort is a great choice for making your clothes to have a good smells and make it soft too

After years of experimentation and sniffing bottles of detergent and softener in supermarkets, I have settled on the following:

Detergent: Persil Gel (blue liquid in clear bottle)
Softener: Downy, Feel Romantic flavor (pink bottle)

I traveled at the end of Feb and I when I returned in mid April, I opened my wardrobe and was blown away because the clothes still smelled great from the detergent and softener!  The detergent smells great, very fresh and breezy, and even if you don't use a softener, your clothes will smell great for days.  The softener has a sweeter smell, and the smell also lasts for a while.  And yes, it makes them quite soft to the touch, especially if you also use a tumble dryer.

Note that there are other better smelling detergents and softeners, but they are the specially imported ones which cost an arm and a leg, for example Tide liquid for SR. 60-70 or so, for a 1.5 litre bottle (Persil is SR. 42 for 3 litres), and several US-made Comfort and Downy softeners which smell out of this world but cost way too much.  There is a great selection of the locally made Comfort and Downy softeners which smell good enough and are a lot cheaper than the US-made ones.

Thank you all. On my next sojourn to the Land of the Two Supermarkets I shall choose the softener that best suits my own character; strong, yet sensual; clean and smooth; doesn't smell of poo.