Sexual Abuse in International Schools

Except the schol didnt hide it and an expat was not involved in this incident.

kingwilly wrote:

Except the schol didnt hide it and an expat was not involved in this incident.

:D

According to a parent at the school, this was known about for over a month before the police were called.
Is that information inaccurate?

The expat was employed at a time when checks, even in the west, were unusual.
I can't blame JIS at all for that one as the man was clearly a master at hiding his "interest" and his past.
He even managed to work in a London school when paranoid ideas about every man being a pervert, were the first concern.

PS - SS in Bintaro 3 is wonderful. Perhaps one evening?
I have a car now so we can use my petrol.

kingwilly wrote:

A police check is only as good as the day it was written.

Very true.
Even then, it doesn't exclude police errors, bribery and/or never having been found out.

For certain, this is a very loud wake up call for all of us who are parents and who have children enrolled in any school in Indonesia.  This problem, not being indigenous to Indonesia, is also a wake up call for all of us world wide.

This is like reading an e-book about vampires having sex with zombies.  I have no idea what it's about.

An Indonesian working in Indonesia molested one or more children in Indonesia, so foreigners should be checked more carefully?  Maybe foreigners should be checked more carefully, but what does one have to do with the other?  That's like using birth control because your sister's having sex.

It's about one of the most prestigious international schools in Indonesia running a kindergarten without a license, and having one or more 5 year old boys being repeatedly raped by several cleaning staff over a couple of months of which several had herpes which was passed on to the boy, and where no teaching staff were around when they should have been supervising children that enter the toilets.

The part about the foreigner is that Vahey, one of the most prolific pedophiles in FBI history who typically used sleeping pills to subdue his victims taught at this school in Jakarta for ten years. There are also reports from older children who also say have been sexually abused. Since Vahey was allowed to teach at this school, the chances are that he did abuse children there. So the lesson to be learned is that schools need to make more stringent background checks on teachers to see if they are on the sex offenders register, something which I believe wasn't done prior to this but which hopefully will be done in the future. Since we know that sex offenders like to hangout in places in Asia like Thailand and Cambodia, it would seem quite possible that Indonesia would also be a likely place for them to be. Hence the need to step up awareness and background checks on foreign teachers.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

This is like reading an e-book about vampires having sex with zombies.  I have no idea what it's about.

An Indonesian working in Indonesia molested one or more children in Indonesia, so foreigners should be checked more carefully?  Maybe foreigners should be checked more carefully, but what does one have to do with the other?  That's like using birth control because your sister's having sex.

Paranoid behaviour.
The biggest issue is clearly the local child sex gang but, as with any good story, an extra bit of paranoia is good press.
This American bloke is big news all over the world and, luckily for the Indonesian press, he worked at that school.
Minor details like the truth don't matter to a good story that's pretty much guaranteed to get the chattering classes going off on a "we must do something" trip.