Child adoption in Solomon Island

Hello! Any one could tell me about how to adopt a child in Solomon Island, or if there is any adoption program up there
I'm from Australia and would like to adopt a child up to 3 years old
thanks,
Mike

walkerwb wrote:

Hello! Any one could tell me about how to adopt a child in Solomon Island, or if there is any adoption program up there
I'm from Australia and would like to adopt a child up to 3 years old
thanks,
Mike

The best way would be to approach the relevant authorities here in Oz and ask them if it is possible.
There will be many hoops to jump through.

ok thanks

Hi Mike,

I have same question and wondering if you have been through the process and have information/advice?

My wife (who is from the Solomons) and I adopted a child while living in the Solomons the past 8 years. Adoption there is very common and relatively informal. We are now planning to live in Australia for some time and investigating how bring our daughter with us.

I've made initial enquiries with relevant authorities in Australia, however they are quite clueless particularly when comes to Solomon Islands given is not party to Hague Adoption Convention.

Any insight/experience appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Wade

Hi Wade,

We are in the same boat at present and I am surfing the net to find anything helpful.

This is the link to the SI Adoption Bill:-
parliament.gov.sb/files/legislation/Bills/2004/The%20Adoption%20Bill%202004.pdf

And this from the Australian Government:-
If you want to adopt a child from outside Australia, you must apply for an Adoption visa (subclass 102) on behalf of the child. An adopted child can be granted a Child visa (subclass 101) if they were adopted before the eligible parent became the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, an Australian citizen, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Trust this is of some assistance
Carl

Thanks very much Carl for sharing your knowledge. I'll try and reciprocate. Best wishes, Wade

@walkerwb 

If you are an Australian citizen and have applied to the Solomons High court and gain approval for the adoption, You may be able to apply for an Australian citizenship for the child by adoption.

Tony Dyson

Dyson Immigration Advice Centre
[link moderated]

7 years on from posting here in 2015. Sharing my experience.

I adopted my daughter though S.I High Court (as Tony Dyson explains). The legal process was relatively straight forward. However, made complex because my lawyers were dubious and dragged their feet. I'm told that is fairly standard practice in S.I law.

Because I had lived in S.I for some years the Aust Gov recognised my expatriate adoption.

I then applied, from outside Australia, for a permanent resident visa for my daughter. Processing took 12 months.

Last year she became an Australian citizen.