Moving to Seychelles

Hi people... I am moving to seychelles to take up a job as audit manager by the end of January 2013. I am Chartered Accountant from India.
I am getting a 1 Bedroom Apartment flat from my employer and a bike to commute and I will cook on own and take care of my food. Need to knw what all things I should carry with me to settle down. I am single. Please tell me about clothes suitable there and food habits weather night life etc.

Hi Ashu7384,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Wish you all the best and a Happy New Year 2013!

Christine

Thanks Christine.

Happy New year to you too....
good work you people are doing through this forum helping people to connect and share things...
keep up the good work

Ashu

Hi,
Seychelles is a nice country to work in. If the company is providing u house, then u don't need to worry about other costs here. Almost all grocery shop owners are from india and u wil get all the groceries related to indian dishes.
Climate is pretty hot here, so please plan to bring only cotton clothes and totally avoid sweaters, jerkins etc.. better to bring more half-slack shirts and t-shirts.
If u r vegetarian, u may find it difficult to get food from take-aways, so please better prepared to cook ur own food.
Please note, driving 2-wheelers will be bit difficult due to lot of undulations in the topography. so, please confirm with ur employer abt ur conveyance.

If u have any other queries. please let me know.

Regards

Hey thank you very much for the response. I will avoid clothings other then cottons. My place of stay is going to be like five minutes from office so I guess I can avoid vehicle.
Will write to you soon. Need help on some other aspects as well.

Regards

Hi I wanted to know about the seasons in Seychelles like when is monsoon and winter sumer etc. Also currently which season is going on, if monsoon, does it come heavy, do I need to carry raincoat or umbrella etc.
Secondly regarding currency, is it good to convert the Indian Currency at Seychelles airport or should I convert before leaving India.
What are the normal working days in and wokring hours.

Thanks

Ashutosh

Hi,
Climate is same throughout the year. It is quite hot, but temperature seldom reaches more than 31 degree celcius.
So, no need to worry abouthat. Even if it rains, it will not be like pouring. But still it is better to carry a umbrella. (no need of rain coats).

Normal working hours are from 08.00 AM to 04.00 Pm with 12.00 to 01.00 lunch time. And normally all organisations are closed on saturdays and sundays.

Please message me if u have any other doubts.
I was in big problem when i came here aug '12 as nobody was here to explain me about these things.

But once i came here everything was smooth and there were no tension at all. Seychelles is an excellent country to work and the people are very friendly

Hey Praveen thanks a lot, I know how things can be tough when we first time land some place like this, but yeh getting in touch with people like this do make life easy.
I am a Chartered Accuntant from India, Mumbai. Moving there to take up an employement with an audit firm there. I will be there on 26th January early morning. I hope we soon catch up since it will end of the week.
Tell me some things about you since I guess we are friends already.

Ashutosh

Hi praveen, you've been so helpful. I've gotten more personal info about seychelles from you than anywhere else. I'd like to know if its possible for a medical doctor to get a job there? Also, do you have any ideas about how to go about applying for a job and who to apply to? Please, I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you very much.

Hello,

Doctor's are wanted here in Seychelles. You can apply for a job at the Ministry of Health, Victoria, Mahe, Seychelles Islands

Cheers
P3ter

how easy is it to find a place to stay?

I havent been able to find any info on cost of rentals on Mahe.

Can anybody tell me what the range in prices are over there for 1,2 or 3 bedroom ?

check ur mail box

please my dear help my on this, how is it porsible to get work there? how much a room cost? and what is the exchange of 100ero to local money? thanks

Is there a central board in seychelles for job vacancies or does one have to go to the respective ministries?

kikelomo wrote:

Is there a central board in seychelles for job vacancies or does one have to go to the respective ministries?

There are various agencies that advertises jobs and there's the employment department. There's no central board per say.

You need a work permit from the Immigration then you will be eligible to work. Like said in previous posts, rents varies.

At the moment, the Exchange rate is stabilizing. Right now, if you come with 100Euros you will get approximately 1700scr.

thank you very much.

Hi..even i joined my workplace in end of december...
hope to meet some of you if anyone is in Mahe...

yeh sure...plng to do go to a disq dis weekngd ne1 intrstd leme know

shud b good...only problem for me is conveyance...

where do you stay...we are planning to go to kotiolo....

i stay near intendance beach...takamaka police station..
katiolo is nearby but still dnt hv conveyance..anyone crosssing this place maybe can pick me..

any good friend here? i just arrive

Hi Sir,

I am Planning to Move to Seychelles next month for job purpose... What is the Salary for average Work.. Could you please help.. I am from Delhi and My native is from Vellore.. Some of my family members are living in Seychelles..

rajainderjith wrote:

Hi Sir,

I am Planning to Move to Seychelles next month for job purpose... What is the Salary for average Work.. Could you please help.. I am from Delhi and My native is from Vellore.. Some of my family members are living in Seychelles..

If you have family there why not ask them about salary.???