Living in Shizuoka

You are an expatriate living in Shizuoka, or you used to  work and live in Shizuoka.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Shizuoka?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Shizuoka?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Shizuoka?

Thanks in advance for your participation

How would you describe life in Shizuoka?

Life in Shizuoka is fantastic! The weather is mild, since it's a coastal prefecture. Summers are humid and hot, but not unbearably. Winters are cold, but not much colder than 0 degrees Celsius. It can be very windy from Fall to Spring.

If you live in a city on the main train line, Tokaido, travel is convenient and efficient. Tokyo is an hour and a half away by Shinkansen (bullet train), and Nagoya is also close. Since Shizuoka is close to Tokyo, much of it is modernized and easy to find daily items or export food/books/items, etc. However, there's also plenty of farmland and places to go hiking that you don't always feel as if you're living in a concrete jungle (unless of course, you want to!)

Shizuoka has plenty of opportunities to play sports and do outdoor activities. There are also a lot of onsen (hot spring baths) throughout the prefecture. This is probably one of the best prefectures to live in!

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation?

Settling down was quite easy, even without knowing much Japanese. Sometimes I needed help, but a lot of things I was able to figure out and do on my own. I came on JET, so I already had a job, but recently had to quit and find new jobs. I easily found a part time teaching job, so no, I don't think that is difficult.

As for accommodation, I haven't had to look for myself yet, but I think it might be pretty standard as it is everywhere else.

Is it complicated to make friends in Shizuoka?

No, I've made lots of friends quite easily, both Japanese and foreign.

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Shizuoka?

If you want to be near big cities, but also the outdoors and nature, if you like a mild climate (not too hot or cold), then Shizuoka is great place to live. Living somewhere on the Tokaido line is easiest. The Izu Peninsula is a beautiful place to travel but a little out of the way for just living (unless you like being out of the way!). I highly recommend Shizuoka as a great place to live.

That city sounds like paradise, Shizuoka is where id really consider moving to and staying for awhile or even settling down there. Can you tell me more about shizuoka like climate schools people culture festivals food lifestyles etc? ive read all I can find on shizuoka and i think having a person who actually lived there would be better to ask than just different websites. :D Thank you for your time :)

Artistic Poet wrote:

That city sounds like paradise, Shizuoka is where id really consider moving to and staying for awhile or even settling down there. Can you tell me more about shizuoka like climate schools people culture festivals food lifestyles etc? ive read all I can find on shizuoka and i think having a person who actually lived there would be better to ask than just different websites. :D Thank you for your time :)

Hi Artistic Poet... if you are curious you can check out my blog for more info:

Surviving in Japan

I already wrote about the climate above, but if you have a more specific question feel free to ask.

Schools, depends on what you are looking for? There are a few international schools around but I think most foreigners that live in Shizuoka (for an extended period) either have their kids in public/private schools or homeschool.

People are generally friendly, although if you live out in very, rural, non-touristy areas, they may not be as kind to foreigners. Everywhere else is fine.

Culture is similar to the rest of mainland Japan, but you can find more about that online, unless you have a specific question.

There are lots of festivals, especially in the summer, but during the rest of the year as well. Most cities have fireworks festivals, as do neighborhoods. There are also other kinds of festivals (or matsuri). It depends on where you live, b/c there is so much to write about!

Food, well Shizuoka is known for green tea, strawberries, melon, mikan (like tangerines), eel and a few other things. Food is great!

Anyway, please feel free to email me or contact me for specific questions and I'll do my best to answer!

hey howare you? i have a new question, i am doing pre med right now and will start med school in about 2 years, my question is, how can i get a job as a foreign doctor and is it possible to open my own clinic like in the United States. I know i will need to learn japanese but will my basic japanese help me get a job as a physician? Is it possible to request permission to maybe treat only foreigners if i cannot treat japanese citizens due to the language barrier? Reply back thanks!!

Hi !
Have any one stay in Shizuoka ?

Looking for Language exchange partner!

I am in Shizuoka, want to improve my English. In return, I can teach you Japanese.σ(^_^;)

Shizuoka.... famous for green tea, right?

I live in shizouka

I want to improve my japanese

Hi there.
I am living in Shizuoka and love the place. I think it is the best place in Japan.

If you have any questions about living here in Shizuoka or Japan then ask away.

Thanks
TheJapanOnlineChannel

Our Japanese friend said Shizuoka is a beautiful place in Japan. I hope I could go there someday and explore Shizuoka. I want to stay at Tokyu Shimoda Hotel in Shizuoka.

I live in Shizuoka prefecture! If you are interested in Shizuoka and Japanese, just let me know! Thank you!

Will be great to see you I live in shizuoka prefecture too..

Hi, I'm Yuko

Nice to meet you.
Are you still looking for a language exchange pertner?

Hi, I'm Yuko

Nice to meet you.

I'm living in Shizuoka.

I'm looking for a language exchange pertner.

Hi Yuko,

Please feel free to post in the Shizuoka classifieds > language exchange. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla

Hi!
I could definitely use some help.

G.

hi, anyone lives near shimizu ku? just moved here in shizuoka. Im looking for friends

Hi. My username here is empollon. I'm Japanese looking for a language partner to help each other practice Japanese snd English in Shizuoka city. I've been learning English for about four years. So far I've been doing language exchange mostly online, through Skype with English speakers who learn Japanese and live in other countries. But now I feel like having chat with someone in person. So if you happen to live in the same city and are interested in practicing Japanese with me, let me know. We can figure something out to improve together. By the way, I'm married and live with my wife, my inlaw, and two kids, so I might not be able to hang out very often, but hopefully, we can have a chat in both Japanese and English in turn at some place such as a cafe for a couple of hours on a weekend afternoon... Thank you!