Fiance' Visa

Wondering if anyone has experience with obtaining a Fiance' Visa?

It is understood that about 80% of tourist visa's for Filipino females get turned down. I am a US citizen living in the USA and  have a Filipino girlfriend. We have not met in person and would like to get to know each other better. If possible, we would like to obtain a Fiance' Visa for her to visit me and stay a maximum period of time. I am available for traveling to the Philippines and participate in the interview process. We will spend about 2 weeks together prior to the interview.   

There is a concern based on reading about obtaining a Fiancé' visa which is as follows: In general, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) and U.S. citizen sponsor must have met in person within the past two years.

The initial application ask the question about if we have met. Based on completing the application the answer is no. Based on when the interview happens, the answer will be yes.

Does anyone have any insight on handling that situation? I am guessing that that I have to answer what is true now for  the application. Any help will be appreciated.

1 You must meet first.   Bring about 3 to 4 copy's of the Visa forms with you. You can down load them of the internet before you come here. Make sure she has a Philippine passport and proper ID. before you come here that all match's.  No mistakes on the forms or they will toss them. I.D. must all match.  Next meet here take lots of photos of the two of you together in front of or at palaces together that Emigration will recognize. Fill out the forms you brought here.  You will mess up 1 or more. Why you bring 3 or more copy's with you.  Return to the U.S. and send the forms in there with $500 money order.  Takes about 6 months or longer to do. Then she will need a physical here at a approved doctor. She will need to go to Manila alone for her interview, then wait a month or more for approval of that. She will need a police background check as well. You are looking at $3,000 to get her to the U.S.  Once there you have 6 months to marry her and file the forms there to finish  this.   You must also be of good character or the Philippines will reject your application on there end. No arrest for wife beating DUIs felonies or such.  Time you buy the air tickets to get her to America plan on spending over $5,000 to $6,000 U.S. Make sure you meet the income requirements as well in the U.S.

Good response and thank you. It appears from your comments that I have to provide a background check to show good character. I know the back ground check is required for her.

[Moderated: Off topic]

gworsham wrote:

Wondering if anyone has experience with obtaining a Fiance' Visa?

It is understood that about 80% of tourist visa's for Filipino females get turned down. I am a US citizen living in the USA and  have a Filipino girlfriend. We have not met in person and would like to get to know each other better. If possible, we would like to obtain a Fiance' Visa for her to visit me and stay a maximum period of time. I am available for traveling to the Philippines and participate in the interview process. We will spend about 2 weeks together prior to the interview.   

There is a concern based on reading about obtaining a Fiancé' visa which is as follows: In general, the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) and U.S. citizen sponsor must have met in person within the past two years.

The initial application ask the question about if we have met. Based on completing the application the answer is no. Based on when the interview happens, the answer will be yes.

Does anyone have any insight on handling that situation? I am guessing that that I have to answer what is true now for  the application. Any help will be appreciated.

If you are uncertain about marrying then obtaining a Fiance visa would be considered visa fraud and an act of deception during her visa interview. Your best bet is to visit her a few times, or of course try and obtain a B2 visa for her.

That said, you would not be allowed in the visa interview under any circumstance. So if you think by showing up at the embassy it will give the VO a better since of trust it will not.

Certainly if you have never met, a fiance visa would not even be approved. The State Dept. will want to see proof of visitation including stamps in your passport, photos of you two together, etc.

@Jame M B

I have no idea what Obama has to do with this.

I just wanted it known that I have no convictions and especially no violations for wife beating. It is just so difficult to get a Filipino Female to America. The Fiancé' Visa seemed doable and would provide an opportunity for her to stay a while. It even  seems difficult or takes a long time to get a visa if we got married in the Philippines  and she traveled to the USA. The other is the tourist visa. She has ownership in property and partial ownership in a business. The number of days to stay in the USA is limited. I appreciate all the responses and guess we will have to do some getting together and picture taking.

Another thing to consider would be correspondence between the two of you. Take copies of any letters etc as well.

stumpy wrote:

Another thing to consider would be correspondence between the two of you. Take copies of any letters etc as well.

This would = photos. Do you have any other sources?

gworsham wrote:

I just wanted it known that I have no convictions and especially no violations for wife beating. It is just so difficult to get a Filipino Female to America. The Fiancé' Visa seemed doable and would provide an opportunity for her to stay a while. It even  seems difficult or takes a long time to get a visa if we got married in the Philippines  and she traveled to the USA. The other is the tourist visa. She has ownership in property and partial ownership in a business. The number of days to stay in the USA is limited. I appreciate all the responses and guess we will have to do some getting together and picture taking.

I forgot to tell you that originally the K1 visa was instated to shorten the wait times for couples to marry in the United States. The truth is though that the wait time is actually averaging a month longer than a K3 visa. Keep in mind a K class visa is a nonimmigrant visa. While a K3 would convert to a CR1 after marriage, your spouse would have to return to the Philippines again for the interview. K visas require much more paperwork and steps than it does just to apply for the CR1 visa from the get go. No matter what route you go, getting her here the legal and correct way would be priority number one. From the little I know about your relationship, your visa application for any class of K or CR1 visa would be denied because you do not know each other well enough and it would be flagged for a possible violation of the International Marriage Brokerage Act.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr3657/text

BTW: This legislation is more aimed at protecting her than it is at protecting you.

Yes the law seems to be carefully crafted and a shame there even has to be laws like that to protect from abuse. My girl friend and I have known each other for a long period of time but not met in person. I was going to retire and move to the Philippines and then I received a job offer that I could not refuse. We decided it will be a good idea for her to come to the U.S. and people in the know recommended that the Fiancé' Visa was what we needed to do. The visa is obtainable and she could stay a while longer.  The meeting and knowing each other caught us. I will go there and we spend time with each other and provide the pictures, provide copies of our communications, and gifts that I send. I will then apply and we will hope for favorable results. If it gets denied then I will return for another visit and we will start over.

I appreciate the time you spend with your information. My girlfriend go through the process and keep trying as necessary.

gworsham wrote:

Yes the law seems to be carefully crafted and a shame there even has to be laws like that to protect from abuse. My girl friend and I have known each other for a long period of time but not met in person. I was going to retire and move to the Philippines and then I received a job offer that I could not refuse. We decided it will be a good idea for her to come to the U.S. and people in the know recommended that the Fiancé' Visa was what we needed to do. The visa is obtainable and she could stay a while longer.  The meeting and knowing each other caught us. I will go there and we spend time with each other and provide the pictures, provide copies of our communications, and gifts that I send. I will then apply and we will hope for favorable results. If it gets denied then I will return for another visit and we will start over.

I appreciate the time you spend with your information. My girlfriend go through the process and keep trying as necessary.

I think the law serves a very good purpose. Women come to this country everyday only to be assaulted by there "husband/male-companion." It actually is a very know statistic, women coming to the United States to marry and do actually marry and stay have 3x more likely rate to be a victim of DV.

Not saying this is you. I am just saying that it is a known statistic and unfortunately is a common occurrence. Having the authority to "end" the relationship and in return null the validity of a visa gives some men/women a sense of entitlement and power.

Again, NOT saying this is you.

90% of information thus far on this thread is wrong, and some suggestions might actually get your GF a ban on coming to the US. I mean no disrespect so I won't be detailing them out but will ask OP, if serious  about this, my advice is to join an immigrating specific forum, I have a suggestion but not sure if it's against TOS of this site to mention it.

I went through a failed fiancé visa process for my then GF and ended with a successful spousal visa for her as my Wife. So I have experience with both process.

Good luck.

PS: Even the USCIS and DOS website has excellent information but mostly written in a bereucratic way.

Hi,

I came to the US through a K1 Fiancé Visa. First of all, there's 2 main stages before acquiring a Fiancé(e) Visa:
1. The Petition Stage (I-129F) and;
2. The Visa Stage (after the approved I-129F Petition).

That is true, there's a requirement to meet within 2 years of filing the I-129F Petition. Though, there are some cases that the meeting requirement is waived: Cultural/Religious practice and/or Evidence Extreme Hardship.

There are also a lot of paperwork that you need to submit. The Petition process typically is 6months long. The Visa process is about a month.

I have a blog that had a guide through this process, specifically Fiancé(e)'s from the Philippines. It's at:

http://mrsprsn.us/K1VisaProcess

Apologies for another reply to your post, I was on my phone earlier when I posted the previous one. And I wanted to answer in depth some of the statements that were posted on here.

(Also noticed that my link is under review, but I am listed in this website's blog directory if you want to check out my link.)

"It is understood that about 80% of tourist visa's for Filipino females get turned down."
This is actually not true. Anyone, whether male or female / Filipino or not, if they have weak ties to their home country, they will surely get a denial of a Tourist Visa. I was a B1/B2 Tourist Visa holder before I was a K1 Fiancé(e) Visa Holder.

"If possible, we would like to obtain a Fiance' Visa for her to visit me and stay a maximum period of time."
The Fiancé(e) Visa is for those already in a relationship and have met prior to the petition/visa application. Once granted a Fiancé(e) Visa, she only get to stay 90 days in the US, for you to both get married. This is not the visa for a "getting to know each other" stage.

"I am available for traveling to the Philippines and participate in the interview process. We will spend about 2 weeks together prior to the interview."
Yes, you may participate in the Interview process, but this is assuming that the petition gets approved first. Again, the petition process is the First Step. Getting through USCIS, the approval, getting the case number and all other processes in between are crucial even before you get to the Interview Stage. And that includes, meeting in person first before applying for the I-129F Fiancé(e) Petition.

"It appears from your comments that I have to provide a background check to show good character. I know the back ground check is required for her."

The background check is both for you and her. During the I-129F Petition, almost entirely is your background check. Before the K1 Visa interview, she needs to get an NBI Clearance (our version of FBI). And after the K1 Visa Interview, there are additional background checks that the US Embassy Manila will have to do before issuing the Visa.

"If you are uncertain about marrying then obtaining a Fiance visa would be considered visa fraud and an act of deception during her visa interview. Your best bet is to visit her a few times, or of course try and obtain a B2 visa for her."
I would somehow agree to this, but not entirely. Yes you must visit her, or she visit you first. In order to obtain a Fiancé(e) Visa, the I-129F petition must be approvedby USCIS first. Then you move on to the next step. Also, Immigration fraud is no joke. This means using the acquired Visa for any other purpose other than what it's for. Using a Tourist Visa to make her stay in the US longer than the allowed period has consequences and also marrying each other using her Tourist Visa is fraud too.

"That said, you would not be allowed in the visa interview under any circumstance. So if you think by showing up at the embassy it will give the VO a better since of trust it will not."
Actually, the US Citizen may be present during the Interview. It's up to the Consular Officer if they're going to be interviewed side by side, or the CO will make the USC sit down and wait for her to finish the interview. My fiancé was there during my interview.

"Certainly if you have never met, a fiance visa would not even be approved. The State Dept. will want to see proof of visitation including stamps in your passport, photos of you two together, etc."
Agree. Yes you would need all the proof that you two have a relationship. SMS Texts, Chats, Photos, everything you can think of even the receipt of the engagement ring.

"I just wanted it known that I have no convictions and especially no violations for wife beating. It is just so difficult to get a Filipino Female to America. The Fiancé' Visa seemed doable and would provide an opportunity for her to stay a while."
Again, No. The Fiancé(e) Visa is not for this purpose.

"The other is the tourist visa. She has ownership in property and partial ownership in a business. The number of days to stay in the USA is limited."
If she can establish her ties to the Philippines, then let her try and get a Tourist Visa. No harm in trying.

Again, I will reiterate. If she is able to acquire a Tourist Visa, she should only use it for that purpose: Tourism. She would have to go home to the Philippines before the designated date that the CBP Officer would give her. Overstaying in the US will be questioned and will come up during the K1 Visa Interview when you apply for this visa eventually.

Send me a message with the link and I will post it for you. It is because your account is new. There are bunch a wackos that post links to irrelevant information.

Also, you can register your blog by going here: https://www.expat.com/en/directory/

Top Right - Add Blog

Welcome to the forum.

usmc_mv wrote:

Send me a message with the link and I will post it for you. It is because your account is new. There are bunch a wackos that post links to irrelevant information.

Also, you can register your blog by going here: https://www.expat.com/en/directory/

Top Right - Add Blog

Welcome to the forum.

@usmc_mv: Hi! Haha, wackos. But anyway, thanks! I just sent you a message with my blog link.

@All: I hope I have cleared some misinformation about the Fiancé(e) Visa route though.

The link to the above for mentioned blog is:

http://www.mrspresson.com/

And yes, you provided valuable information!

Welcome to the forum.

(You'll see the wackos eventually.)

Been to many years back and laws have changed.  But I would go on line to immigration they have a site. Down load the forms needed and read what is required there. I used the K1 but my ex was in South America and I was doing a lot of work down there at that time.  Many years back.

Hi message me here : [email protected]

Camila (:

@gworsham: message me here [email protected]
Camila

camilashi wrote:

@gworsham: message me here [email protected]
Camila

Please review this post.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=363496

VillageHeadMaster wrote:

90% of information thus far on this thread is wrong, and some suggestions might actually get your GF a ban on coming to the US. I mean no disrespect so I won't be detailing them out

If you know that something is factually inaccurate, you should provide some kind of detail.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
VillageHeadMaster wrote:

90% of information thus far on this thread is wrong, and some suggestions might actually get your GF a ban on coming to the US. I mean no disrespect so I won't be detailing them out

If you know that something is factually inaccurate, you should provide some kind of detail.

Yes, if it inappropriate it will be taken down.  What have you got to lose?

Hello friend
I feel you know better about fiance
So I'm I'm man from Algeria and related with girl from USA California and we want to marry but we don't know much informations
We r going to meet soon but In fact we don't know what to do when we meet as making papers or anything to prove that we have met already or we need to go both embassies USA and Algerian after meeting I know that she could apply for me as a fiance but what she has to do more ? And what i have to do too
so what first step to do and what next ?
Please any information and help
Thank you so much