Young family considering moving to Malta! All info appreciated.

Hi all, Even though I have gathered some very useful information from this forum along with lots of extensive research myself, I am grateful for any replies on the subject of moving to Malta. We are a young family seriously considering the move to Malta. We are both self employed. Me being a freelance MUA and I also run a website where I sell makeup. Both things which (I know through hard work and networking) I could hopefully make work in Malta. The trickier part is my husband is a self employed jeweller/watchmaker. Ideally his dream is to open a premises abroad. My research shows that there are quite a few jewellers on the Island most being big chain companies. This is daunting, although could mean there is a demand for small niche jewellers? One of the big jeweller companies is looking for Store Managers and Area Managers which my husband could apply for if self employment is not an option. Can you advise if there is a market for a small independent jewellers offering watch repairs,batteries,straps etc? I have read that the best thing to do is find a good school first which will then determine the best area for you? Ideally we would like a catholic school but with the ballot process for places is probably more difficult? Ironically this ballot is being held today!! My little girl is 5 and very outgoing so no problem settling her in im sure. I could ask millions of questions on this post but for now these two issues are my greatest concerns.

Plenty of small jewellers in Malta plus market stall holders doing batteries and straps.
Can you make a living out of opening a small shop doing the same thing, I would guess not.

It may be a better idea for your husband to take one of the jobs you mentioned and then decide if a small shop will work.
If your husband speaks Maltese then he will be fine but if not check its not a requirement of the job.

Good luck  and welcome

Terry

Hi Sarah,

the fact that your research didn't come up with all the small jewellers/watchmakers/watchrepairers and so on just means that they are all so small that they do not show up ! But there are many , very many ! Too many!

I would sincerely recommend that your husband takes up any decent offer with one of the larger chains. Once he has insight into  the Maltese jewellery /watch market he could look into other options! But without speaking Maltese it could prove very difficult to find acceptance.

Cheers
Ricky

Hmmm this is very useful information. It does make our decision a bit more difficult however but thank you, I appreciate the advice. :)