Queries on Oman

Hi friends,

I am currently evaluating a job offer by a top Bank in Oman for a managerial role in the HR function. The salary being offered is in the ball park of 2100 RO per month incl of housing allowance. My queries are as follows:

1. How stable is the employment sector in Oman in terms of security for expats vis a vis Omanisation..?Any specific insights on banking sector would be highly appreciated.

2. I am married and my wife is a finance professional (MBA), we would like to seek job opportunities for her once she joins me in Muscat over next 3-6 months. How easy/difficult is it to land a job for expat women?

3. In the salary mentioned above, how comfortably can one spend & save considering a couple with no kids household?

Looking forward to helpful inputs from the community.

Hi,
The salary is decent and can provide you an opportunity for reasonable savings. How much you save will depend on your life style.
You have 2BHK mediocre flats right from 300RO to premium flats like wave which is 1000 RO.
Good flats with a club house, Park, jogging area swimming pool etc will be between 600 to 700RO. Oasis residency, AL Assalah towers and Hatat house are good options depending on your area of work. Again the car you choose, the number of outings you plan per month will all be deciding factors in how much you save.
The fact that  they have offered you means they have clearance, but do not resign from your current job unless you have a confirmed work visa.
No great job security right now in Oman and terminations are rampant. But as long as you are a performer that shouldn't matter much as skilled people are always in demand. The other good thing with Oman is you can change jobs within the country unlike other GCC countries.
Don't have too much hopes on your wife getting a job here in the near future. There is a ban on female expat visas currently and it's unlikely to end in a hurry. Therefore its better you base the decision on your offer without factoring the chances of your wife's employment.

Salary is good enough for more than a decent living.

Samaritan wrote:

Hi friends,

I am currently evaluating a job offer by a top Bank in Oman for a managerial role in the HR function. The salary being offered is in the ball park of 2100 RO per month incl of housing allowance. My queries are as follows:

1. How stable is the employment sector in Oman in terms of security for expats vis a vis Omanisation..?Any specific insights on banking sector would be highly appreciated.

2. I am married and my wife is a finance professional (MBA), we would like to seek job opportunities for her once she joins me in Muscat over next 3-6 months. How easy/difficult is it to land a job for expat women?

3. In the salary mentioned above, how comfortably can one spend & save considering a couple with no kids household?

Looking forward to helpful inputs from the community.

Hello Samaritan,

Please find below some comments on your queries :

(1)    Omanisation is taking a heavy toll on the job opportunities for expatriates in Oman. Some of the more heavily Omanised sectors are the Oil and Gas, Banking and Government sectors.

In the private sector Omanisation percentages would vary depending on the nature of business. However, in all companies certain jobs are 100% Omanised. Jobs such as PRO, Receptionists / Front Office Staff, Drivers and many more are reserved only for Omanis.

In the Banking sector the Omanisation percentage is as high as 90+%. Overall, new jobs for expatriates in the Sultanate would get more and more difficult to come by.

(2)    New jobs for women have been temporarily put on hold. How long this stay would continue is unknown. Check this link for a news item which appeared in a local daily on Thursday, April 24, 2014 http://www.muscatdaily.com/Archive/Oman … power-33pj

(3)    You have been offered a housing allowance. So that is a monthly expense on you. Despite that the saving potential for a couple from the salary quoted is still high. You should be able to easily save upwards of 50% or even more from your income.

Good luck !

Thnks for your valuable inputs, Sumitran:)

Many thanks for your clinical and objective responses, buddy!

Hi friends,

I have received a job offer from Oman. The company is offering me 400 OMR (Basic) + 150 (allowance) + 25 (telephone) + Health Insurance + Air fare + Annual bonus. Is it a good offer. If I accept the offer then how much I will save every month. I will be thankful for your reply.

rgrds,
David

david123456789 wrote:

Hi friends,

I have received a job offer from Oman. The company is offering me 400 OMR (Basic) + 150 (allowance) + 25 (telephone) + Health Insurance + Air fare + Annual bonus. Is it a good offer. If I accept the offer then how much I will save every month. I will be thankful for your reply.

rgrds,
David

Dear David,
Many answers available, petaining to your post in the "Cost Of lIving" section of this forum. Please help urself a little and you'll find everything..