Possibilities of working in Belize

My wife and I are both in health care and trying to figure out possibilities of working in Belize and what it entails?

Hi drwrieden,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Since you have specific question, a new discussion was created using your post on the Belize forum for better interaction and visibility.

I invite you to get in touch with the Belize representation in USA and gather maximum information regarding the formalities to move to Belize.

Do not hesitate to come back on the forum to share any findings.

Thank you,

Hasnaa

There is nothing I don't know about health care in Belize or what it is like to work there as an MD (myself) or as an RN (the wife). Be easier to respond if you had specific requests. There are many hurdles involved in working there. The locals are the finest patients you can ask for as far as being courteous and respectful unlike whiny complaintive North Americans. The infrastructure is poor both medically and in general. Many illnesses are secondary to effects of diabetes, hypertension, and obesity. Lots of infectious diseases of various etiologies.
Most hospitals outside Belize City are dreadful. Lots more data and stories available on request.

if you expect to be compensated for your work, your options are limited.   It may take years to get a work permit plus significant contributions.    Many of the church organizations are happy to have free medical labor.   The churches have a firm grip on education and much of medicine here.   The population of the country (market size) is only 350,000.  wages are $2 to 3 dollars an hour, (the exchange rate is $2 Bz for $1 US).   Very few Belizeans have enough income to pay for medical services.   Poverty is real and pervasive.   Parasitism is significant problem.

Most medical services offered, both diagnosis and treatment,  are primitive.    Those who can afford it go to Mexico or the USA for medicine and surgery.

also, the living conditions here in Belieze are similar to those found in American urban slums-  poverty, ignorance, corruption, crime, shoddy goods and services, little or no infrastructure.....   There are many wonderful attributes to this tiny country and there is a down side seldom seen by the casual visitor and totally ignored by those land speculators who entice North Americans to re-locate here.  Come for a lenghty stay and see both sides of the post card for yourself before you make any long term commitments.    .

^That's about the size of it.