Suggestion on Norwegian Language Classes

Dear all Expat Forum Members,

I am new in Norway but I think I might stay for a long time here. I have seen how many people regret not being able to speak Norwegian after living here for some years, therefore I decide to start learning it right away. I know it is costly, but the earlier I get a hold of it I'm sure the bigger the pay-off would be as time goes by.

So, can you please suggest some of the best classes in Olso, or preferrable Sandvika or Asker?

Really appreciate for your replies! :)

Cheers!

Have you tried Rosenhoff? They have good teachers there. I went there too and was satisfied with the follow-up programs they gave me.

Dear albjornstad,

Thank you! I will surely check it out! By the way my friend recommend me Folke Universiteit, do you know about this one?

Tusen takk!

Im looking for a languages classes as well,
And im thinking of two places, Alfaskolen and Oslo university.
But im not sure yer which one i will choose since im not yet in norway.

I just wanted to share you with my opinion, so you can consider both in your mind. :)

Let me know what will you do when you start your courses, and how much you will be satisfied with it.
Because its all about the teachers more than the place.

albjornstad wrote:

Have you tried Rosenhoff? They have good teachers there. I went there too and was satisfied with the follow-up programs they gave me.

Hey albjornstad,

Can you tell me more about the program you followed in Rosenhoff.
How long you did u study there, and how much did it cost you ?
I was planning to study the 3 levels available at the Uio or the full-time program at Alfaskolen is Oslo.

So i want to know your eperience if you have tried any, and your impression on learning at Rosenhoff.
Thanks. :)

I did not pay anything because at that time I got here, Norwegian classes were free of charge (and I am also married to a norwegian). I think that the normal rate for Norwegian classes is 3500 NOK per semester if I am not mistaken. I had good teachers at Rosenhoff. They see to it that you were moved to another class if they see that you are more advanced than the others. I was also referred to a more intensive class later on with the plan of going into higher education.

UiO is actually a very good school. If you would like to get your classes from there, you cannot get it better else where. :)

costs for my language course was...

Beginners term 1 5000kr for 12 weeks (2 lessons)
A1 to A2 term 2 4000kr 10 weeks (2 lessons)
A2 to B1 term 3 3000kr 12 weeks (2 lessons)
This is abourt the point most can communicate in Norwegian on a basic conversation level
B1 to B2 term 4 2500kr 10 weeks (2 lessons)
B2 passed 8 weeks 2500kr (2 lessons)

At this point you can enter for the Begen test that i am told is very hard.

Thank you James!

Hi,
I'm joining Summer school in University of Norway for Elementary Level-1 course. They conduct part-time, evening classes for working professionals. You can check out this link to read more about these classes:uio.no/english/studies/summerschool/

Apart from this, I guess there are community programs to impart language lessons(which might be cheaper). It will be advisable if you contact your human resource department to get better perspective.

Thank you Anishagaur! My colleagues in the office, who are foreigners just as I am are now arranging an agreement with one school so they can come and teach us in the office instead. This will bring convenience as we wont have to run and catch the train after office hours. The school is supposed to find this as an attractive opportunity as well to have a good number of students.

Thats great. If you can have the same curriculum and discipline in office, it saves time. I'm visiting Oslo this summer for Level 1 course and trying to fix appointments with recruiters and prospective employers(I'm sales & marketing professional from Retail sector). Though I'm reaching out to people online, it is always better to get firsthand advise from people who are in town.

albjornstad wrote:

I did not pay anything because at that time I got here, Norwegian classes were free of charge (and I am also married to a norwegian). I think that the normal rate for Norwegian classes is 3500 NOK per semester if I am not mistaken. I had good teachers at Rosenhoff. They see to it that you were moved to another class if they see that you are more advanced than the others. I was also referred to a more intensive class later on with the plan of going into higher education.

UiO is actually a very good school. If you would like to get your classes from there, you cannot get it better else where. :)

Thanks albjornstad for your reply, :)
I have searched for information about rosenhoff on google but i couldn't find any info about them.
Can u give me their details like where can i find and contact them.
Thanks again.

james mack wrote:

costs for my language course was...

Beginners term 1 5000kr for 12 weeks (2 lessons)
A1 to A2 term 2 4000kr 10 weeks (2 lessons)
A2 to B1 term 3 3000kr 12 weeks (2 lessons)
This is abourt the point most can communicate in Norwegian on a basic conversation level
B1 to B2 term 4 2500kr 10 weeks (2 lessons)
B2 passed 8 weeks 2500kr (2 lessons)

At this point you can enter for the Begen test that i am told is very hard.

Thanks james for your detailed reply, :)

This is a one year program right.? I think the prices are very good and fair enough, compared to the schools im planning to go.
Where did u take these courses.? And how was the the teaching there.?
You didnt take the bergen test yet ?