Do and don't in Saudi Arabia

MaceRiyadh wrote:

i don't know at to think about the customs here, seems a roll of the dice.

Must be because I've been in and out of country many, many times and the customs guys look bored as hell, never open a bag or ask a question of me or anybody else that I ever saw!

Tho just want to say that all the do's and don'ts, very happy and useful to see, i hear be vigilant about your attitude, especially while driving and being in public but i'm finding it very well slack here, rules seem hardly enforced if ever, but then again early days.
tho i think i will make a copy of the do's and don'ts just so i don't get too complacent.

One Question i do have, what's the rules with trying to buy god from out side the country? i've been ater an e-reader and cannot find one for the life of me in the city, people even look at me strangely and hold up a dvd player, is there any easy way to get hold of goods and what are the rules on them?

The officer i talked to was very sturn.. then they asked about my name, i explained it, and well he turned very excited and happy, (i have an iranian farther and a iranian name ) i was told by my dad on leaving customs he was surprised i didn't get a cavity search from the guy, i mean does the day of travel have anything to do with it, busy days they search less bags, or quiet days?

they are maniacs...

Alliecat wrote:

Must be because I've been in and out of country many, many times and the customs guys look bored as hell, never open a bag or ask a question of me or anybody else that I ever saw!

:happy: Let's do some business together? :joking:

That's ON topic. An item in the Don't-Do list. :)

MaceRiyadh wrote:

One Question i do have, what's the rules with trying to buy god from out side the country? i've been ater an e-reader and cannot find one for the life of me in the city, people even look at me strangely and hold up a dvd player, is there any easy way to get hold of goods and what are the rules on them?

You can order such things online. I strongly recommend having a Shop N' Ship account (shopandship.com) from Aramex. I have ordered tens of times and never faced any hiccup caused by customs.

I checked the most recent posts and I think I'm having a complete different situation than most of your guys out there..

I live in Khobar, if not, one of the most "westernized" cities in KSA. Since I've got here, I had no issues at all.. no problems at the immigration, no problems in the office, public places, etc..

Everyone seems very friendly actually! Of course life is much more limited that any other country, but Khobar is not a bad city at all! Some nice restaurants, malls, some sport activities, etc.. I try to respect the everyone at all times! I think if you put a smile in your face, it's half way through! People have a tendency of treat you well, if you seem nice and educated!

Believe me, I'm a Brazilian, with my arms covered in tattoos, so I usually don't want to get attention from people.. so my strategy to have a nice life in KSA, is just to mind my own Business without making too much noise, if you know what I mean!

Regarding portable hard drives and customs - I brought in 3 hard drives packed with series/movies and stuff, and they were not checked. On the other hand, a friend spend a long time getting his hard drives checked by the officer. Maybe it is random? Last time I check I am still pretty much Asian, if they are really zooming in on us :whistle:

Salman are you still active.
I am an American Muslim moving to Riyadh with a family of 6. I need help socially.  My wife tends to be very shy but originally egyptian.

Your blogs have made us feel better.
Thanks
Nasser.

nxm200 wrote:

Your blogs have made us feel better.

His blogs? :blink:

What about the rest of us?!

Does Salman have a blog?

Trapezius wrote:

Does Salman have a blog?

lol :D:D:D:D:D:D

I'm losing my haire and I'm not sure what to do ... Plz tom  cruise help me  :offtopic:

Well as for me am kinda old for it now .I have been living in riyadh saudi arabia for the past 12 years(ya I know it's quite  to long) well to be honest the people around here are quite not that friendly(no offence locals ...malish ya habibi) and saying this from my own experiences 1st of all there is a big language barrier between the locals and expats.And don't mistake me but I have met many  local people who would go across the line to help to you out even though they don't speak your language and neither do they know english and some of them are close friends of mine. Well  speaking of which according me I think it's their cultural background that makes them very reserved ,unsocial and if you compare the daily life in Saudi Arabia to any other western  country you wouldn't find much of a difference and to be Frank the way of life  in this country is hugely influenced from your background for example if you are from a Islamic country then you wouldn't find much problem to adjust  but if you have come from any Western countries there is no doubt you would find a big cultural difference especially for women whose has to a special outfit in any public place with not much of a choice.And then comes along the strict sharia laws which are equal to no less than a nightmare to a non-muslim.But my intentions are not to scare of the people about this country but to show them the simple facts that if just follows the normals rules then it nothing to worry about. If you want  u can ask me further about life in Saudi Arabia .      Regards

Hello folks:
As often happens with expats here in Saudi, the talk becomes focused on what you can't do in the kingdom and who you can't do it with. Yes, there are MANY restrictions. We got that. But there's much to do, if you're willing to just do it. I won't go into what countless blogs have done better, which is to describe the historical and cultural sites and plenty of what other people get grants or other funding to do - explore a historically and globally significant country with millions of people who do admire and respect the west. And  with the Internet, in this day and age we have the advantage of having the world's greatest travel office open to us 24 hours a day. You ladies and gentlemen who traveled just 10 to 15 years ago can contrast that to the blind journeys we took and count your blessings that a world of travelers are willing to share their experiences and advice for navigating and getting the best of their journeys any time, from anywhere. Good luck and bon voyage. -pbn

for me just be careful from SAHR violation system

Follow the local Laws don't mess with locals.
Be friends with expats stays happy :)

Ml7 wrote:

I'm losing my haire and I'm not sure what to do ... Plz tom  cruise help me  :offtopic:

Rinse your hair with bottled drinking water after shower. Massage your scalp for better blood circulation daily. Do hijama on your head if you're into it.

Hi ,
My name is Fiona we are looking to be in Saudi in April ( well hubby is I'm following in few weeks after birth of my grandson ) how are compounds to live on ? Also I wear a gold cross n chain will I have to take it off ( not got Jesus or anything on just gold n diamonds )?

No you won't have to take it off but better be careful than sorry. Do not show it in public, if possible

Hello my friends, i'm in Jubail by 2 days, tell what u know about tattoos because i have a big one from my shoulder to my forearm, so this 2 days i kinda hidden it, i've asking like 3 person about this problem, they sayd if it's not religios, it's no problem....BUT I WANNA BE SURE. Thnks

Hey im from Juabil.. i can tell you Tattoos are totally not an issue.

thanks

hilarious blog!
informative as well! thanks guys!

A soldier got mad when I handed him my ID using my left hand, later I asked coworkers and probably ye it upsets some of them!!!!

Lol
How true... you also forgot to mention women are not allowed to drive
I am saudi And there were times when I grit my teeth with frustration when I want to go buy a chocolate bar and had to call a driver service in order to do that... so I end up paying around 30 riyals for a 1 riyals chocolate bar...

Agreed our country is fucked up
But in a special way it has its own beauty
People here are nice and friendly ...
We saudi women learned to look at the bright side... so we won't go insane😛

lady-pharma wrote:

Agreed our country is fucked up
But in a special way it has its own beauty
People here are nice and friendly ...
We saudi women learned to look at the bright side... so we won't go insane😛

I also see during my visit. but as this is country law and order we must obey the same.

Morning, I'm Linda, living in Cape Town and looking for admin position in Saudi. What kind of work do you do and was it difficult finding a job in Saudi?

I will move tomsaudi, riyadh on may 10th 2014.

Tatoos,

They are definately un islamic but do not worry, In islam the body is " lent " to us and we do not have the authority to deshape it or alter it. You may have different views and i respect your views.

Believe its very easier to find a job in Saudi, all u need is just have knowledge in ur field and a lil essence of tolerance

Go to Al Baik

Welcome Lenny: Let me know if there will be any meet & greets in Riyadh. I'll be renewing my visa when I get back to the kingdom & I won't be able to travel outside KSA for at least a couple of weeks. It will give me time to visit parts of Saudi Arabia that I haven't gotten to.
Cheer, -roberto

At the end..
If you don't have Saudi friends, you'll die of boredom!

So look for one and life will get better here i promise..

Message me for any help  :top:

I like it the way you say it man! cheers for cool Pakistani!

You mentioned, " look for Saudi friends." Well, how do you go about making friends with them when they won't even look  you in the eye. I was told, they would have a different impression when you get too friendly with them. I just want to get through till my contract ends. Am so bored...

iluvicu wrote:

You mentioned, " look for Saudi friends." Well, how do you go about making friends with them when they won't even look  you in the eye. I was told, they would have a different impression when you get too friendly with them. I just want to get through till my contract ends. Am so bored...

Very much right....and be very careful!!! You meet with one, and it'll end up like a pack of dogs coming rght after the other for you! :(

That's really not nice to read, as we are not dogs. Fingers are not alike.

The majority of local are respectful and those who are not don't deserve our attention.

I am disagree with u my friend,  don't spread such a hateful things, are in ur countries majority of the people in society like drinking, dating amd having sex??? I don't think so. Plz if u don't like the lifestyle then leave but don't spread unjustified news.
thnx