Moving to Amman in June

Hi there

I'm moving to Amman in June, and I'm a bit overwhelmed about trying to find a place to live! Can someone explain to me the better suburbs to live in and how to get around? I'll be working at UNHCR.

Also, are there any other Australians living in Amman on this forum?

Cheers
Roxy

Hi Roxy,

I just moved to Jordan last month and I happen to know this website gweet.com. You can take a look at it. It provides accommodation offered by locals in Jordan. By getting around, I believe using taxi is the most easiest way. I'm currently live in West Amman, I think? (Tila Al Ali) and I find it very convenient to live in this area.

Welcome to expatblog!

Hi Roxy,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

For better visibility and interaction, a new discussion was created as from your post on the Amman forum.

In order to better guide you, it would be much appreciated if you could give us more details regarding the accommodation you are looking for please.

Do you want to rent a flat or a house? How many rooms do you need?

Thank you,

Hasnaa

Hi Roxy,

Welcome on board to this site and welcome in Jordan.
Where is the office of UNCHR located?
I think you want as close as you can get a apartment or room.

As for your question about your fellow countrymen/women, you can click here

Thank you!

Hi Roxy,
welcome to Amman. Most forgien expats live in the Abdoun/ Sweefia areas of amman. (Moderated: Please post in the section housing in Amman)
adnan

Adnan,

What size of apartments do you have?  Looking for a 3 bedroom for the end of June.

Tara

Hi again Roxy,

as unhcr locates in Khalda i think it is the best place as it is nearer to your work and itis a very nice and quiet place to live .

specially for moving around in Amman to rent a house or for any other thing or lets say for any help (Moderated: no sharing of phone number on the forum pls)

see you soon
Ali

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii,

where are you /

UNHCR has offices in three locations in Amman. These are in Shemaisani area, in Khalda,  and in Deir Ghbar. All these three areas are nice with plenty of furnished apartments available for short term rentals.  I suggest that you find out first the location where you will be posted then try to find accommodation nearby to avoid the rush hour commuting in Amman.

As for transportation, the best option is taxi service.

I hope this is helpful.

hi roxy
I am also thinking. to move to amman from california . I like to experience life there for some time. maybe we can share rent if you like for the first month or two. I speak both languages, however, I have been away from the culture for many years. it will be fun to discover it again.
I also need help in finding the right place to stay, especially that I will be by myself. write to me at
[email protected]

Hello, as one of the comments mentioned, gweet.com is brilliant for looking at housing. Luckily I work there, and if you need any help PM me :)

i think the best area & environment cool  in Amman to live in is Jabal Amman or Jabal alwaibdeh

you welcome and hope enjoy .. if u need any help im ready ... :)
i live in Amman University of Jordan
about wheres you live ... Concerning housing and suburbs .. if the place of business or area of ​​Khalda Valley area .. walk places Holophyra which is a region of tlaa Ali, University of Jordan Street, Khalda area, which mediates the capital and the regions next to malls and all services, roads and transportation. And also the area of ​​Jabal Amman, but differ from other regions ..
Always Visit me a lot of friends from America and Europe .. will tells you if any one of Australia and to find out what  :)

Hi Roxy,
I would like to welcome you to Jordan - Amman. Specially that you'll be working with UNHCR helping with the Syrian crisis.
I would like to offer you my services as I am an interpreter/translator Arabic<>English. My last job was an interpreter for an expat from MDM Medicos Del Mundo.

Many Thanks
Nour

Hi Nour,

Welcome on board to this site.

You can post your offer at the job section in the green banner above the page.

For safety reasons you should avoid personal information displaying on the public forum,

Hello nourabuelenein,

Welcome to Expat.com  :)

Just like Primadonna suggested, i kindly invite you to place an advert in the Translator jobs in Jordan section.

This may help you and other expats as well.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi kenjee , Primadonna
Thank you for the note,
will do

Welcome to Jordan  :)

Hello there,
To save time and words, If you will be working for UNHCR they will tell you where you will be staying because they have guesthouse and flats for their people in Jordan, and I think you'll have to be there but nowhere else..
Best wishes,
H.A

Hello Roxy,

Hope this msg finds you well.

There is Lots of nice places in Jordan to live but where you going to work?

Regards
Roberto

Hello Roxy
Welcome to Amman. My name is Tahar Hani. I am working with Medecins Sans frontieres (MSF) organisation since two month here in Amman.
you are most welcome to this city. You need zto know that the life is little bit expansive here and you need to have a car if you want to move inside the city.
Amman is a big city with 8 circles. Without car you will be facing some difficulties to move or to go for shopping.
You need also to live near to your job if possible in order to avoid a huge trafic each morning.
Amman is divided on two part. the rich areas ( shmeissani, deir ghbar, abdoun...) and down town very crowded.
Generally expatriates live on the first part and most of NGO's embassy and companies are located there.
I don't know if you will be alone or with your family. If you have kids who are going to the school you need also to live not far from because the transportation is expansive and schools are often far.
Amman is a nice city people are ok. But if you like to do sport, it will be difficult because there is no area for running example. One day in the swimming pool will cost you around 18 euros.
Anyway there some popular supermarkets which are not expansive.

welcome

Hi Tachar Hani,

Please note that you are participating on an old thread and that the initiator has not connected since long. You should participate on recent threads so that members can benefit from your outputs.

Thanks in any case for the feedback,
Bhavna

Hey i just saw ur post and i read u r information , amman is beautiful place if you have good group i have many foreigners friends here in amman and they are really enjoining them living here , and for living the best place to live is west amman , btw if u need a place i have room go rent in my home if u r interesting i can explain to u more and if u want me to help you in anything just massage me .