Possible scam?

I have known a young woman in the Philippines for a few weeks.

She hasn't asked me for anything. No money. I offered to buy her a tablet and get it posted to her. She refused.

She says she works a 6-day week as a clerk for a factory. She lives in one rented room that she says doesn't even have a bed, just a camp stretcher, no mattress, no sheets. She seems to spend almost her whole life working, going to and from work, doing her washing by hand and an hour at the Internet cafe each night!

Today I offered to "load" her mobile, as she uses it for the Internet to chat with me, so I asked for her number and provider. She then said she would do the load herself if I sent the money Western Union. I said it wouldn't be worth it because of the fees and I could easily load her phone using PayPal. She then got really moody, said not to bother and she had worse problems than loading her phone and said goodbye.

I am now a bit confused about if she is genuine or not.

I met her on a dating site, where she had a really good profile pic that turned out to be done in a studio and Photoshopped. She has since sent me photos that are her just very natural, no makeup, no Photoshop.

She is 34, never been married, never had children and is quite naturally beautiful. She says she's had two serious boyfriends but never lived with a man.

Any comments that might help me?

Sounds like she wants cash to me.   Scam hard to say. They usually share a room with another girl here. Not always.   Sleeping mats on the floor are common in Asia. Spent a few nights myself on them.   But almost all will send you there number here.  That I find strange.  The 12 hour day and 7 dayweek  is common as well.   Best to come here and meet a girl.  They are not hard to find here.

Thanks, James. Apart from not giving me her cell phone number and mentioning Western Union she seems really genuine. Well as far as I can tell from here!

I'm going to head there later this year, hopefully, and meet a family I've been friends with for a while and if I'm still in touch with this other woman I'll meet up with her, too.

I've told her I'd like to phone her and talk, but she still hasn't given me her cell number, which makes me a bit suspicious, but I'll keep trying.

I would ask her if she is useing Aunty's phone of a freinds phone up front and right out.  All do not have a phone here. That could be a reason.  She may be renting a phone to use from a freind or family member. Quit common now I think about it.  1 phone in a family. And you put a load on that phone it can vanish on her.

Gold digger.
You can load most mobiles via internet banking - no need to send any money at all.
Ditch her.

My Friend:

Trust to no one except yourself.

Diagnosing your narration it is a sure scam. Why that woman is not providing her number if she is single? The best you can confirm is to talk to her parents. Parents are intetested in the privatelife of their child. Buena tuna

Kind Regards,

mas fred wrote:

Gold digger.
You can load most mobiles via internet banking - no need to send any money at all.
Ditch her.

I can load to her provider online with my PayPal account easily. That's what made me suspicious.

adamsmole wrote:

My Friend:

Trust to no one except yourself.

Diagnosing your narration it is a sure scam. Why that woman is not providing her number if she is single? The best you can confirm is to talk to her parents. Parents are intetested in the privatelife of their child. Buena tuna

Kind Regards,

Thank you. She doesn't live with parents, they are far from her.

Hello,

For me it's not scam, she hasn't asked you for anything for the first place.

Working as a clerk is not that bad, she can load herself if she want.
Give her time, maybe she have her period right now that's make her moody :)

Trust is the most important thing in any relationship.

Good luck! :)

camshh wrote:

Hello,

Well, she just asked me for 5k pesos because she owes it to her uncle! Period was last week. She knows I want her phone number and she wont give it. Boyfriend's phone? Maybe!

i don't really want to say any bad think or things with my fellow filipina... but may i ask how long have you been knew this girl? and how long you've been chatting? is it everyday? or do you call her through phone everyday? do you know what she did and what she did not do in a day?  she refused to have a tablet from you or even give load to her cp using your paypal... right? but she wants you to send her money through western union... lol... for me, if she's true, you can see it her eyes if she's telling the truth and you will feel it.. not her will tell you to send her money, it is you who will willingly to send her because you feel that she is suffering for i dont know and she really need it...  and you must know this girl first before you give what she wants... you have to make sure that you are not wasting you time and money for nothing...

If she asked you, don't give it. ( it's better to be safe than sorry )
I wonder why she won't give her number. It's not a big deal, its just a phone number.

Well, Its up to you. Trust your instinct :)

loviestcherry16 wrote:

i don't really want to say any bad think or things with my fellow filipina... but may i ask how long have you been knew this girl? and how long you've been chatting? is it everyday? or do you call her through phone everyday? do you know what she did and what she did not do in a day?  she refused to have a tablet from you or even give load to her cp using your paypal... right? but she wants you to send her money through western union... lol... for me, if she's true, you can see it her eyes if she's telling the truth and you will feel it.. not her will tell you to send her money, it is you who will willingly to send her because you feel that she is suffering for i dont know and she really need it...  and you must know this girl first before you give what she wants... you have to make sure that you are not wasting you time and money for nothing...

We've been chatting on FaceBook every day for 3 weeks. I have been suspicious because every evening she goes to the Internet cafe and goes on FB from there, but then she goes home and we chat on FB using her phone and she gets free data because of Globe promotion. Why is she spending money at the cafe when it's free for her from home on her phone?
She asked me for 5000 pesos tonight to pay back her uncle. She could be paying him back from money she spends needlessly at the cafe!
I offered to load her phone but she won't give me her number. I told her I won't send any money but I will load her phone. Now she has stopped the chat!
I don't think she is honest.

camshh wrote:

If she asked you, don't give it. ( it's better to be safe than sorry )
I wonder why she won't give her number. It's not a big deal, its just a phone number.

Well, Its up to you. Trust your instinct :)

Thanks! My instinct tells me that it is probably not her phone and she knows I will check the ownership if she gives me the number. My instinct also told me that if I refused to send her money then she would disappear. I refused and she has stopped chatting and I assume she will disappear. :D

That's the right thing to do. :)
but then, if you really like -- love her and you feel that you really need to help her, that amount of money will not bother you.

Turap:

Internet 24/7 is Php 999.99 per month in the Philippines. You can find another Filipina which is loyal and have a good family background. Once you have it, you have a woman can represent in your behalf and will care fir you the rest if you life.

You may choose 20s of age. They are honest. The best is know the family background and be frugal since if you decide to settle down, you have something in store for a happy family.

I agree with you girl!

Yes, that is the best thing to do. Invade the place and win a heart.

Visit a school or church then find your soulmate.

OzFreddie wrote:

I have known a young woman in the Philippines for a few weeks.
. . .
She says she works a 6-day week as a clerk for a factory. She lives in one rented room that she says doesn't even have a bed, just a camp stretcher, no mattress, no sheets. She seems to spend almost her whole life working, going to and from work, doing her washing by hand and an hour at the Internet cafe each night!

Many Filipino men and women live this way. But that doesn't mean they are unsatisfied with their lives. Your friend is lucky to have a job.  She might be a happy camper (pardon the pun) despite her current situation. So please don't put ideas into her head that would make her feel bad about herself.

OzFreddie wrote:

She hasn't asked me for anything. No money. I offered to buy her a tablet and get it posted to her. She refused.

Don't bother sending anything.  Philippine Customs charge an unreasonably high tax. Sometimes, it's equal to the price of the item sent.  So, your friend might have to shell out some money, which she may or may not have, to claim the tablet at customs.  And besides, if she's sharing a house with other people, then there's a good chance that the tablet could get stolen.

OzFreddie wrote:

Today I offered to "load" her mobile, as she uses it for the Internet to chat with me, so I asked for her number and provider. She then said she would do the load herself if I sent the money Western Union. I said it wouldn't be worth it because of the fees and I could easily load her phone using PayPal. She then got really moody, said not to bother and she had worse problems than loading her phone and said goodbye.

I am now a bit confused about if she is genuine or not.

First of all, you were the one who offered to "load" her mobile. She was not the one who asked. And besides, you might have sounded a bit pushy (offer of load and a tablet)  to someone you've just met online for a few weeks.  People do use their phones for calls and text, not just chatting.

Second, unlike talking with someone in person or over the phone, chatting online doesn't give you much insight on how the other person's day went.  She could have had a bad day, which could be why she was moody, and your offering her load or money might have rubbed off the wrong way. 

Third, have you considered that she is actually not interested anymore in you? Just because you're a foreigner and she lives in certain conditions (which she actually might be okay with) doesn't necessarily mean that she'd jump on you like you're the last life boat in a sinking Titanic.  If she said goodbye, then just let her go.

OzFreddie wrote:

I met her on a dating site, where she had a really good profile pic that turned out to be done in a studio and Photoshopped. She has since sent me photos that are her just very natural, no makeup, no Photoshop.

She is 34, never been married, never had children and is quite naturally beautiful. She says she's had two serious boyfriends but never lived with a man.

Any comments that might help me?

Beauty is only skin deep.

OzFreddie wrote:
camshh wrote:

Hello,

Well, she just asked me for 5k pesos because she owes it to her uncle! Period was last week. She knows I want her phone number and she wont give it. Boyfriend's phone? Maybe!

I didn't notice this post while I was scanning through the replies.  You should have mentioned in your original post that she asked you for 5k pesos. 

Part ways with her right now. And don't look back.

OzFreddie wrote:
loviestcherry16 wrote:

We've been chatting on FaceBook every day for 3 weeks. I have been suspicious because every evening she goes to the Internet cafe and goes on FB from there, but then she goes home and we chat on FB using her phone and she gets free data because of Globe promotion. Why is she spending money at the cafe when it's free for her from home on her phone?
She asked me for 5000 pesos tonight to pay back her uncle. She could be paying him back from money she spends needlessly at the cafe!
I offered to load her phone but she won't give me her number. I told her I won't send any money but I will load her phone. Now she has stopped the chat!

how many hrs does she spend in cafe?   even if it was 3hrs  -would only cost  around 50 peso X21 days  -1000 peso   ,how much would  it have cost  if u had sent her a tablet  and load her phone  every time you want to chat with her  ?   if your worried about 5000 peso ,then not much point going  to philippines -going to cost you a lot more than that   .

greenetravel wrote:
OzFreddie wrote:
loviestcherry16 wrote:

how many hrs does she spend in cafe?   even if it was 3hrs  -would only cost  around 50 peso X21 days  -1000 peso   ,how much would  it have cost  if u had sent her a tablet  and load her phone  every time you want to chat with her  ?   if your worried about 5000 peso ,then not much point going  to philippines -going to cost you a lot more than that   .

No, I'm not worried about the 5000 pesos, it's not much money, and if she asked because she was hungry or could not pay her rent I might have sent it, but to pay back a loan to an uncle does not sound honest.

She gets free data on her phone from Globe at present, so why does she spend any money at the Internet cafe if she is poor and can get Internet for free on her phone?

After reading the posts on this subject I am picking that it is a scam. 

Her asking for 5000 K was the thin edge of the wedge and if sent then the next amount would be substantially more and probably for some sort of medical emergency.

After 40+ years of living in South East Asia, and with friends who hooked up with Filipino ladies and happily married I am always skeptical as some of them or their friends have been scammed first time around.

I would ditch this lady and keep looking around.

Definitely a scam. A clerk that works hard,  sleeps on the floor but rented a room (shared room is cheaper and it even has double deck beds), cannot afford a bed but goes to the net cafe everyday, doesn't want to give her phone number or chat through skype but only wants you to send money? 34 yrs of age, not married, and only had 2 bfs. thats not a filipina at all.hehehe sorry :) at that age, a filipina would go all in. would be eager to talk to you or even would want to meet you, asap.

Be careful there are alot of "opportunistas" out there. Talk to her first and literally see if she is real. Connect everything you've talked about. If it doesn't make sense then don't waste your time on her (or him).hehehe aDi0s! goodluck.

Yeah, thanks!

I said goodbye to her today! It didn't make sense. I said how do I know you're not spending all day on the beach, living in a luxury condo then going to the Internet cafe every night getting guys to send you money? She really didn't deny anything!

I also said how do I know it's you and not your husband/boyfriend/ boss scammer chatting with me on FaceBook? She didn't deny that either.

Many thanks to all who have helped me with this. It's a great forum and a great site!

since she was going to the cafe -why didnt you ask to chat on skype  ?

We chatted on FaceBook and she kept saying we would cam, but it didn't happen. Too public apparently  :o

Sounding like a scam to me as well.   Poor girl uncle will loan her 500 peso tops to pay back. Or family. Best drop her.  Next watter buffalo will need new shoes. or something.  Best to make up your mind were you wish to live here. Talk to some expats in that area so you have a few leads on a home with utilities. Take out a 6 month lease.  You do not like it there. At the end of 6 months you can leave to a better area. or town. Or return home.   Ladys are easy to find here. Over 18 to 108 years of age.   All want something. A colledge girl wanting a supporter. To a maid that wants her own home and man. Good women up front and honest.  All you need do is ask here and be polite.

Thanks, James. I have made a good contact on here and he has a possible introduction to a lady and I could even take over his condo as he is returning to US.

I am getting some good advice on this forum and really appreciate how helpful everyone has been. Fantastic people, all of you!

Who the F cares. I can't believe you are still even communicating with this person. You are in a candy store my friend Move on. Lots to choose from. I am not being cynical just being a realist. Too many of you are so ignorant and have less common sense than many people here. Use your brain and not your heart. Keep using your heart and you will be broke. After you come visit here and are eye to eye with a lady then you can let your heart into the picture

coreya wrote:

Who the F cares. I can't believe you are still even communicating with this person. You are in a candy store my friend Move on. Lots to choose from. I am not being cynical just being a realist. Too many of you are so ignorant and have less common sense than many people here. Use your brain and not your heart. Keep using your heart and you will be broke. After you come visit here and are eye to eye with a lady then you can let your heart into the picture

I agree with what you say here...It is a candy store if you are talking about beautiful desirable women to jump into the sack with, but as far as finding the GEM which will have you in her heart are far and few between...After 9 months of disappointments from lies, potential scamming, social climbers, etc. I finally found the the right one who let me into HER heart and now she is deeply embedded in mine...

IT WAS LIKE FINDING A NEEDLE IN A HAYSTACK...Because in the Philippines it is mostly about money and material things...

I came here in 2004. My plans were to build a 100' Banca boat and basically go around the Philippines and try to score with as many Filipina as possible in the course of my planned multi-years journey. Within two months of being here I got very sick and was forced to dramatically change my plans to one of settling down. I joined Cherry Blossom and placed a very succinct ad. Seeking a woman to settle down for all the right reasons. LOVE and companionship. Money and a green card not being one of them as I have no plans to return to the states and I have very little money. I got one response and I have been with this woman for ten years and we have a beautiful 6 year old daughter together. Turns out she had already lived overseas and was a citizen of another country. She didn't need my money or my green card LOL The point I am trying to make is go after what you seek. You will meet that person. maybe it takes a .little longer than going the all you can eat buffet route but it will happen.

coreya wrote:

I came here in 2004. My plans were to build a 100' Banca boat and basically go around the Philippines and try to score with as many Filipina as possible in the course of my planned multi-years journey. Within two months of being here I got very sick and was forced to dramatically change my plans to one of settling down. I joined Cherry Blossom and placed a very succinct ad. Seeking a woman to settle down for all the right reasons. LOVE and companionship. Money and a green card not being one of them as I have no plans to return to the states and I have very little money. I got one response and I have been with this woman for ten years and we have a beautiful 6 year old daughter together. Turns out she had already lived overseas and was a citizen of another country. She didn't need my money or my green card LOL The point I am trying to make is go after what you seek. You will meet that person. maybe it takes a .little longer than going the all you can eat buffet route but it will happen.

You were lucky to find a Filipina who was already abroad and had dual citizenship of another country...That is a very rare find...I dont have to ask why you got very very sick if you were muff diving from one to the other on a daily basis...Guess you learned a valuable lesson...

got sick before the muff diving even began. I had not even gotten laid during the two months I spent here before getting sick. Despite the desire and original plan to nail multitudes of women, I am very particular and also don't do pros!!! My future wife was my first I Had a heart attack right after after scuba diving Puerta Galera.

Seems very odd she refused the tablet. Life there is very hard and the future bleak without a prince charming to rescue her. I had an online friend I met there, Cindy, who didn't want to take my money when I got home, and I was very impressed she was not like the others. But now she is not refusing when I sent some money by Moneygram---very cheap compared to WU---so she can apply for a job. There the application process involves getting all kids of documentation and medical papers, which costs money. Very sad that the poor can not afford to get a job without help..Maybe this girl is the real deal. But be careful she is not just buttering you up with the refusals, and later has a big emergency, and says she needs a bunch of pesos immediately. Most of these gals are experts in getting money out of hapless guys from the west. Good luck.

She tried the money request, I dumped her!

One important factor is AGE. Look in the mirror and ask yourself would you want money to be with you LOL. Yes I am aware that age is not the same moral issue it is in the States, but believe me these women are not interested in your physical attributes as they are in your monetary attributes. Now if you are a young man and attractive they will be interested in you for all the normal reasons a woman and man are interested in each other and money will not play much of any role. On the other hand I have seen countless number of men here with woman that are so fat and ugly they epitomize the old joke......A guy really drunk picks up a girl at a bar and in the morning his arm is under her head. He then sees how ugly she is he then decides he is better off sawing off his arm rather than wake her up. Anyway,  when I talk to these guys most say this woman was the first one they got into a good internet relationship with and then when they come that is who they stayed with and never thought to look around. they were already in love. My suggestion to all men involved in internet relations is NOT to send any money. Once you get here then see how you feel about her and from that you can decide how to deal with the financial elements. If you plan on staying here my other suggestion is to move far away from where her relatives are based. Nothing wrong with helping out but you don't want to make it too easy to be exploited. Just use the same common sense you hopefully had back where you are from. Just my opinion folks

GOOD GOIN

I don't see how it would be possible to develop a close online relationship with a girl there without sending at least a little scratch occasionally. She will have a multitude of reasons why she can not function unless you send something to help her out. Or a relative is dying and has no money for a funeral. Life there is very hard, and the requests may not be lies. I developed an online friendship with a woman in 2007, and she is now my "manager" there, not my lover, arranging all of my travel, and hooking me up with her friends and relatives. That keeps me safe, and so far disease free. That's better for me than putting all my eggs in one basket with one, who would not allow me to see other women without causing a war.

rp1147 wrote:

I don't see how it would be possible to develop a close online relationship with a girl there without sending at least a little scratch occasionally. She will have a multitude of reasons why she can not function unless you send something to help her out. Or a relative is dying and has no money for a funeral. Life there is very hard, and the requests may not be lies. I developed an online friendship with a woman in 2007, and she is now my "manager" there, not my lover, arranging all of my travel, and hooking me up with her friends and relatives. That keeps me safe, and so far disease free. That's better for me than putting all my eggs in one basket with one, who would not allow me to see other women without causing a war.

I have a beautiful Filipina wife half my age and I never had to send her one dime....Even though I am sure she could had used it...It is better to never send money from the get go...Once you are with them then you start to spend money on them to win their favor once and for all...within reason that is...