Where is the best place to live if your work place is in Zaventem?

I might move to Belgium and place of work will be in Zaventem. I have no idea about this city. Where would be the most convenient place to live? Your experience a recommendation would be a great help!! Thanks!!

A frequently answered question... In this forum, there are numerous threads in which this subject is discussed already...

examples..

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=294056https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=352179

Repository :)https://www.expat.com/forum/257-7-accom … ssels.html

You may go through them, and if you have specific questions, feel free to ask :)

Now where in Zaventem?
What languages do you speak?
What is your budget?
How will you get to work?
Do you have family living with you?
Do you want to live in a very busy city centre area, in a small town centre area, in a suburban area, or in a village?

The answer might depend on your answers to those questions.

To be honest I only know Zaventem and not sure where in Zaventem. We are four in the famiy (wife and two boys age of 3 & 2). I do not speak any french or dutch, also for my wife. Our budget is around 1200 EUR and would like a suburban area which is quiet to raise the kids. We would definitely buy a car but a place with good public transportation will also be preferable!

Not sure if this will help me to get better recommendations

Thanks

Thanks for your help!!

It really depends on work address. Some of zaventem adjoins wsl and kraainem, some Tervuren and wezembeek. Without knowing where, suggestions for area to live abd language of schooling would differ

If for example you 're on boul de la woluwe, then apartments in budget on lenneke marelaan and would choose French school near st luc hospital. If in central zaventem, would choose central haven't and Dutch school

tervurener: thx for your info! Just to bother you a little more! They told me the office is in Zaventem. Hoge Wei 33, B-1930 Zaventem. I think this is the address. Regarding language, I'm not sure what will be more helpful for my boys. Dutch or french. What is your recommendation?

Redbull80 wrote:

tervurener: thx for your info! Just to bother you a little more! They told me the office is in Zaventem. Hoge Wei 33, B-1930 Zaventem. I think this is the address. Regarding language, I'm not sure what will be more helpful for my boys. Dutch or french. What is your recommendation?

It depends, if you live in Dutch society, your kids will need Dutch, and if it is French they will need French. For me learning French is useful. Most Dutch speaking people can speak good English, while most French speaking people especially in suburban area don't speak any English here.

There is plenty English spoken by Belgian francophones in the area where we live in Brussels, simply because 40 per cent of the population is not Belgian and many of those use English to communicate on a daily basis. Our municipality now does services in English as 3rd language.

Near to Zaventem there is Nossegem, Kortenberg, Sterrebeek, Steenokkerzeel. These are all small villages with good public transportation to Zaventem, Brussels and Leuven. People here talk mostly Dutch but also English and French.

Suburban with good transport links....
well that would rule out Kortenberg and Steenokkerzeel immediately, Sterrebeek and Nossegem, both in Zaventem, not bad, but I'd still choose south of work, Kraainem, Wezembeek-Oppem, Woluwe-St-Lambert or Woluwe-St-Pierre.