Moving to India

Hello

I am planning to move and settle in India with the intention of getting married to my Indian girlfriend, who is resident in Bangalore. The thought of moving to India on a permanent basis is overwhelming and I was hoping to be able to use this forum to get some advice, hints and tips on what to look out for, what trap doors to avoid and also some general guidance.

I have worked in India for 2 of the last 5 years using a combination of Employment and Business Visas. I hold a valid PAN card and a multi-entry Business visa that is valid until Feb 2015. The intention is to get a transfer from my UK job to the Indian branch, this should not be a problem. It this does not work out, then I will be seeking employment in India (Bangalore).

I am after some advice and guidance on the formalities of making a permanent move to India. Any help and guidance would be most appreciated.

Hello,

Good to see you on ExPat.

I am of Indian origin, settled in US for about 40 years, now staying most of the time in India.

If you travel to bangalore, kindly let me know if I can help.  My email is best way to get me, [email protected]

Dr. Majeed

Hi,It is good to hear from you that you are moving to India.India is a wonderful place to stay.

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls]

Welcome to Expat-Blogs chuckles1978...........
For job i won't say anything but marriage point of view be clear that you have to be very careful if you are going to get married to an Indian Women/lady..........latter on you should not be get caught under IPC section 498a........now a days this a common issue..........All the best........

Regards,
Anil

A PIO (Person of Indian Origin) Card is probably the best and most appropriate travel document for you. It is good for 15 years and you qualify for it once you are married to an Indian citizen. I have heard that you need to be married for at least one year before applying for the PIO Card, but that may be wrong and there may be exceptions.
Regardless, from my recent experience with the FILTH that appear to pass as human beings at the FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) in Kolkata (Dante Aligheri was wrong; it is not Judas who is in the 9th circle of Hell but the vermin at the FRRO), I would URGE you to apply for this in your home country (apparently England).
I gave up on applying for a PIO Card; I am now applying for an Entry Visa which I thought would be easier and quicker but I am going through HELL for that as well. The Entry Visa for which I applied will be good for 5 years. Once I get that then I will have to apply for another one right away. I am certain that it will take 5 years to aply or that as well.
In short, STAY AWAY FROM THE FRROS IN INDIA. and do everything you can while you are still in England.

Welcome to India. Its ancient culture, the rivers, mountains, make the country a wonderful place to visit or to live.

Hi Zarrah,
First come here then only you will get ideas about business and all. see Jaipur is one such tourist spot where people from all the world, so no need to bother about your business and all you can easily manage all the things here.

I agree with Aruna, India is different than any other third world country with mixture of modern life and essence of ancient values. Starting a business could be tricky there are good and bad people all around the world. In India the ratio increases because the population so watch who are you dealing with. Try to run mostly on credit paying later after the work getting done is the Mantra ;)