To Be, or Not To Be? That is my question...

We are a young(ish) family of three, but my partner and I are not married. When we move next summer I will be self employed and the main bread winner, but we also plan to open a small gallery offering affordable workshops to locals. My daughter will be six by then and we plan to send her to "Our Happy School" in Victoria, Gozo.

My questions is, from a practical point of view, would it benefit us to get married, or do you think it will only impact us marginally? I'm thinking about tax, health care, my daughter's rights to access, etc.

I'm ever the romantic, so if it would give us significant savings then I will submit a formal proposal via Facebook.

Thanks in advance

are you both EU citizens ?

Yes, we're all from England.

just realised who you are - say hi to Poppy :-)

wlll do :)

She has said to us (on more than one occasion) "When people get married they love each other, don't they daddy?" "Why are you and mummy not married? Do you not love mummy?"

A strong girl, with strong opinions, and still only 5! I remember going to collect her from the nursery in Victoria and all the other children were sat in a circle around her while she walked around in the middle giving orders.

Back to the question though, do you think there are any strong financial or social reasons that we should get married? When we were there before everyone just decided we were (even though many knew we weren't) but we weren't paying tax and were only there for six months.

I dont think locals really care when it comes to foreigners, so socially no big deal.

However, in terms of red tape it can make a difference in several ways.

If you are married, and one of you is paying social security payments, all of you will be covered for healthcare, if not married you will need to prove a long term relationship to get it (and other things) - possible, but a hassle when you werent living in Malta. Same goes for getting eResidence cards - if married, one working gets theirs that way, other as family member. If not married, have to do separately and both show sufficient financial resources.

Another issue is wills - if married much easier if one of you dies, both in terms of child and assets.

It definitely sounds like it makes sense and I appreciate the advice. I'll have to send Ed down Oxfam and see if she can pick out a nice dress :)

and what will she wear ?

Touché!