Buying a new car in Malta - some questions

Hello all

I am thinking about buying a brand new car when I get to Malta rather than a dodgy second car! But I have a few questions that I was hoping some of you might know the answers to!

1) are new cars considerably more to buy than than the same car in the UK for example!?

2) is it possible to buy a car on a PCP scheme - where you buy the car on a 3/4/5 year scheme, and then at the end of the scheme you have the option to trade it in, upgrade for a newer model or buy it at the settlement figure agreed at the start of your scheme.  Or is this just a UK thing (for example they do not have it herein Spain! )

3). Also is it possible for a foreigner to buy a car on finance? And do the car dealers themselves offer finance or do you have to do this directly through the bank?

4) also, if finance is available on a new car I'm guessing you hVe to have maltese paperwork sorted first ie residence cards etc! And a job to prove you can afford the payments???

5) final question I promise! Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for the price of a new ford fiesta or vw polo?

Many thanks

Sarah

I shall try to answer some of your questions...

1) New cars are slightly cheaper than they are in Ireland but more expensive than UK
2) It seems like you are referring to leasing. It's done here but mainly by companies not individuals
3) Car dealers offer finance to locals but not sure about foreigners
4) Don't know
5) The 3-door Fiesta costs about €11,500 while the 5-door Polo is about €15k

Leasing is €300 - €350 per month for a small car.

Hi Sarah,

I will give you my opinion from what I know and from some of my own experience, too:

1)    Generally speaking, I reckon the cars in Malta are a bit more expensive than in the UK, especially the 2nd hand ones, not so sure about the new ones
2)    Not too sure about the PCP scheme, but you can buy a car through finance and opt to pay it within 3, 5, or 7 years instalments.
3)    Yes, it's possible. However, if you apply for a car finance via a local bank, they will normally ask you for a bank history with them, for at least 6 months. Some car dealers also offer their own financial system, but they will also ask you for at least 3 of your last payslips and a proof of income, e.i. Your work contract. Some smaller dealers, will ask you for about 25-50% of the car's price in advance, and then divide the remaining amount in instalments, but it will vary from dealer to dealer.
4)    Yes, that's right! Before you can apply for a car finance, you'd need to have your Maltese eResidence card, proof of income (work contract, act…). They normally do a credit check and therefore, they'll need your eResidence card number to do so.
5)    So you can have an idea of the car prices over here, you can maybe have a look and do a search HERE

As I said, some of the information above is based on what I know about it and from what I've been told previously when I also tried to apply for a car finance. Some people might have had a different experience and can maybe give you a bit more tips and advice.

Cheerio,
Antonio

Thanks all for your feedback!  It's greatly appreciated!

I think I might initially lease a car for the first couple of months until I get sorted!

Redmik can you let me know of any companies in Gozo who I can do this through as if will be in Gozo to start with!

Many thanks!

Sarah

I note that you have stated 'for a few months'.

Leasing will have a minimum time period of 6 months or thereabouts so what you are looking, for it seems, is a long hire period. That would affect the cost.

The person I usually deal with, locally, for car hire is Pauline at [email protected]

However, speak with or send an email to Marlene at Mayjo Car Hire.  They are a company I have had the best response from regarding leasing, specifically:  [email protected]

However, that was then, so perhaps have a look through a few lists online, send the same enquiry email to each and then 'go compare'.

What you will find, I am sure, is that they each know each other (or are family) and operate what could be called a 'cartel' (no pun intended) and they often provide vehicles from each other through their own offices.

Anyone know the rough price of buying a new Ford Ka in Malta? Managed to find other prices but not this!

Thanks

Sarah

Best to contact the local Ford dealer: www.gasanzammit.com/contact-us