Health insurance for unemployed

Hi,

quick question:

- I am living and working (full time) in Malta
- my girlfriend (we are not married yet) came with me but she didn't find a job yet

What is the procedure to get health insurance for her, having in mind that she doesn't have a  job yet?

Thank you.

Hi,

I don't think the fact of your girlfriend being unemployed, interferes with getting private health insurance at all. The only thing you'll need to do is find an insurance company (GasanMamo, Bupa, Middlesea, Elmo, etc), choose which cover you want her to get, and pay for it. Then, she can apply for the residence card as your family member by filling the appropriate forms. That's my opinion but double check it, in case I am wrong.

Good luck!
Antonio

Hi,
This is very good question actually, If I moved from other EU country where I had been working to Malta and I am currently unemployed, do I receive any state/government free health care? Do I need to register as unemployed somewhere to get some basic cover or is it only private insurance scheme option?

Thank you and best regards,
Simon

what nationality is she ?

She is polish (EU member), cheers
to be precise - I am working full time and I do pay SSI. On my payslip is also indicated that I am married and this also has been registered once I was registering in Inland Revenue.
My wife remains unemployed unfortunately, is she considered as dependant and covered for state health care services / public hospitals etc?
Hope someone can clarify this.
Thank you all in advance.

Hello again,
I went to Mater Dei recently and spoke to person at reception in A&E unit.
The answer I received:
If you work full time in Malta and pay SS (social security) contributions your dependents are covered as well.
To receive free public healthcare you need to produce your last payslip and marriage certificate (wife/husband) or your payslip and birth certificate (children).
Hope this helps.
regards,
Simon

ANSWER IS YES SHE IS COVERED IF YOU ARE MARRIED

if not married it is unlikely  - thus private is likely to be required

not sure if proof of a durable long term relationship can be used though - worth checking it out.

Hi,
Indeed, my post was related only to a married person or a person having children. Sorry if I was not entirely precise.
kr,
Simon

Toon wrote:

not sure if proof of a durable long term relationship can be used though - worth checking it out.

- has anyone have an idea if this is applicable in Malta?

Same situation

mariaki234 wrote:
Toon wrote:

- has anyone have an idea if this is applicable in Malta?

Same situation

This is the Malta forum so the answers are all Malta related.

Terry

I know this

I just wanted to know if anyone has an idea if the authorities can accept this "durable long term relationship can be used though" to add your partner under your health insurance if you are not married.

From personal experience a ' durable long-term partnership ' means living together in Malta for more than 2 years legally at the same address. Other proof ( from foreign countries) is usually not accepted unless you know someone who knows someone -)))

But private health insurance in Malta is not expensive !

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you Ricky for sharing this valuable information.
I heard that the private insurance companies have some policies in regards to pre existing conditions and sometimes they do not refund the expenditures. Is this the case in Malta? Or you can sign a full insurance and have no worries..?

No ! Pre-existing conditions are always excluded from coverage by private insurance companies.

That is the same world wide .

Ricky

Hi, long term partners are not covered by partner's SSI contributions. My partner and I have been together for 15 years, we have two kids, but I still had to get private insurance when I was a stay at home mum (no voluntary pay-in to the state health care either). Although for residency card purposes our "long term relationship" was accepted, but I still had to proof that I bought private health insurance.