Racism in Egypt

What makes me laugh is Egyptain people are black!
they are just a mixture of lighter shades..what a waste of time being racist to eachother..when there is much more problems in Egypt to worry about!

chocolata wrote:

What makes me laugh is Egyptain people are black!
they are just a mixture of lighter shades..what a waste of time being racist to eachother..when there is much more problems in Egypt to worry about!

LOL yes.  the "whiter-than-thou" culture in Egypt is really killing me

LOL THIS IS NEW EGYPTIAN BOOK: 50 SHADES OF BROWN! :)

WOW! I didnt think this topic would get all these comments!
This is great, and I hope this issue will get noticed and the hate and racism will stop! :)

The problem is a human mistake and the stereotype mindset which full of hate and disrespect ..it's a baviour for NOBODY be proud of ..it's a shame ... Really sorry to hear that you experience such situation ...

UPDATE:
Something else happened to me about 2 weeks ago, instead of being quite and ignoring the situation, i answered back in a very polite way, and it felt great!
The girl actually apologized many times and we will meet for coffee once i arrive back in cairo (im currently on vacation back home in the states) to talk about this.
I guess killing them with kindness really does work!
hope everyone has an amazing new year!! :)

Really? What did she say??? I'm so glad you stood up for what is right. Happy New Yr :)

Miss Aquarius..You go girl. :)

Greeeeeeeaaaaaat! :-)
Happy new year to all of u!

Wow! I thought that it was me alone that was seeing the blatant racism. I thought I was imagining things because every one else around me seems so normal. I'm "Glad to know" that I'm not. It was strange for me because I was wondered why Africans (Egyptian Service Sector) would treat other brown skinned people lesser. I never expected racism from locals in an African country. BTW I'm correct in thinking that Egypt is to the top of the African continent right? I mean they didn;t trick me in Goegraphy right? Meaning Egypt is in Africa right? For some reasons locals believe other wise. Intermixing with Europeans change your phenotype but it doesn't make Egyptians any closer to being Arabs or Europeans. Moving on!

I'm from caribbean, brown skinned and very educated (my words, in my own little world lol lol lol). I can't throw stones at racists though. If we treat people differently because of social status,educational accomplishments, eye colour, religion or skin colour aren't we being "a/n -ist"? How do we treat the less fortunate? The issue here is how we are treating people, looking down on people, attacking people etc because they are different to us.

The character of a person is what makes us. We can be humane aka be human beings or we can be somethings else (an -ist). I'm guilty and I'm trying to change. Being a victim or racism here in Egypt made me think about how I treat other people or make them feel because its not something I like or enjoyed. How do we treat or view the people sitting on the ground eating, the persons selling the little tissue pack, the folk who ask for money and pull jersey saying "mister mister".

Love people, treat all with love and respect. And I agree with you, kill them with kindness. You can only bring someone to your level. You pull someone and if you're up they get lifted, they're made better, they come up to your level. If you pull on someone and they end up down its a good indicator of where you are. Food for thought. Love life and live!

[Moderated: No need to be rude]

very sad story ... Racism exist every where that very sad because this people live with hates in theirs hearts and they are very small in their mind ... All people are equal ...

next time, say el salve de teb2a omak, the salve is your mother

our parents taught us to be polite, but with some people being polite is a big mistake

Hello
Al racism is ignorant people with unkind words..... surely??

You never witness racism in the US? Lol. What part of the US are you from ap I can move there :)

nearly a big percent of my patients at my clinic are south Sudanese and Nigerians and i love them and respect them the most.

Miss Aquarius,

Don't Let that ever happen to u again :| and yeah u should stand up and give them a piece of ur mind!

I Agree 100% with every word VidoDido said..Make it Stop right there and then when it happens.

MissAquarius, MrLeavelle...

I do have Sudanese friends, neighbours, and workmates originally from Luxor and Aswan, dark-skinned and all , we go out to cafes, outdoor activities, work ..etc.
I do believe what u said and im sure there r mean ppl out there,brats.. but non of this happened in our case.:cool::cool:

Even know guys & girls who are totally into dark-skinned beauty..and find them attractive and or as they say 'sexy':):)

So there you go, life is full of extremes, the good and the bad.

Once again i feel for u and it wud be annoying and disappointing and hurtful to hear such comments.

So be Safe everyone, thank God we have each other here to vent and comfort :)

FaReSALandlos wrote:

next time, say el salve de teb2a omak, the salve is your mother

our parents taught us to be polite, but with some people being polite is a big mistake

LOL!
that just cracked me up!

Noticed Topic is old though..

I hope you share in healing that patient community.
They will never known the south Egypt is the most kindful Egyptian whom judged that country and build it's culture and civilization.
Sorry for that :(

I have lived here for 5 years. I would like to think I have a very happy outgoing personality. In the beginning I used to hear these things being said to me, even (when you dont understand u can tell)and I can tell you, it changed me. Always walking around with my eyes staring at the ground and unhappy all of the time. I am married to an Egyptian, and because of these mean things being said to be outside I was always suspicious of his family, always looking for signs that they are racist. And he's immediate family love me, though i cant say the same for some of the extended family, and i think this just boils down to them not knowing me.

Lucky I got out of that mood. I do not keep quiet any longer. Ive picked up some Arabic and I say my piece in my broken Arabic. Not many Egyptians are confrontational and hate being called out in public. Tell them off and they back off and apologize. I was once in a store with hubby and these 2 girls were looking at me and gossiping and laughing. I literally turned and stared at them, guess how quickly they backed out of there?

I hate that I've had to become so tough! But its either that or play the victim. which i will not do. I come from South Africa, my parents went through this all their lives, and I am not about to carry that legacy.

racism is everywhere

This is not particular to Egypt. It is an Arab thing. You will be discriminated for your ethnic origin in all Arab countries, particularly the Gulf and Saudi. White skin, and looking 'foreigner' it is something valued by employers.

You can have the most fantastic CV, but when you apply for a job, you may be asked about your skin colour. If you are not very white, expect your application to be turned down.

Some employers go so far to prefer blond people over those with dark hair!!

You might be in trouble looking Latino. They are looking for an 'Arian' look.

I didn't know this could happen in Egypt. I do feel sorry for you and the others anyways, and if I were you, I'd teach that dumbass a lesson. Anyways, racism and hate are everywhere, and I hope it gets better with you. Bless!! :)

Wow sorry to hear that. Never realized this type of racism existed in Egypt, I am in shock to hear that? and how ironic is that, Egyptians are black for the most part. Pretty stupid I must say....I am really that at this time in age specially here this is happening to you.

Take care and keep in touch if you like.

Egyptians r not racists

there is no place for racism anywhere

i am sorry to hear that you even heard that
honestly the first thing i thought when i saw your pic, that you look cute
so don't mind other people
god born us free and we live like god want us
they are slaves to the media and wrong thoughts
you have my support even if you punch them in the noise

These are disgusting retards.

well Check my skin tone lol!
Egyptians (Copts) ARE Ethincally , Biblicaly AFRICANS.
These guys are complete retards. even DNA Anthropology says that!

In countries that are not doing well economically, the people usually look for those they deem weak to take their frustrations out.  Socially, Egypt has not been really civilized in quite sometime.  You look at the abuse of the Copts, racism towards blacks, the rape and harassment of women, and the list goes on and on.  All you can do is pray that they overcome their ignorance.

Hello,

I am conducting a reseach on the same problem, racim in Morocco with reference to Egypt, I would love to talk you about the topic if possible.
Thank you,
[email protected]

Can I actually belueve that you have writtenthe above crap?
Obviously as I have just read ut.

Reverse racism - stop trying ti make excuses for your countrymen.

Black people should integrate more!!

all thus people are quite right - racism is very alive and kicking up a storm in Egypt.
And your post is a perfect Illustration of that!

Wow...I cant believe this topic is still active.
Well i do still experience some racism but its to the point where I kinda got used to it and ignore it. Its sad to say this but I guess this is the way myself and other people I spoke to deal with it. However, if it comes to the point where I need to say something I will cause sometimes you have to put some people in check! :)
take care everyone, and thank you so much for all your kind and encouraging words :)

big problem indeed. next month i'm having a close friend of mine visiting from europe, he's black (from surinam), i gave him a heads up, sad to admit it, but it's absolutely necessary to let him know he might get discriminated! sigh....