Cost of living questions?

Hi all. I'm seiously considering accepting an offer to come work in Bogota, and I'm curious on what to bring? For example, I imagine buying a computer here in the states will be a better deal than in Colombia. Anything else? Clothes, English books, (im a teacher). In other words, what will I wish I had access to once I'm in country? (From an earlier visit I remember wine and American liquor being pricey) Thanks!

Clothes is cheaper in US, books also. But maybe it is possible to find some used books street market. I saw one in Cartagena. Locals should know.

Cloths are a lot cheaper in the US. Computers are just a bit cheaper.
Restaurant pricing depends highly on the part of the city you are in. You can have a lunch for 2 USD in poor locations, in nice shopping centers a meal will cost at least 10 USD, and there is no upper boundary.
Most grocery stores are nearly as cheap as the US, but few are overpriced for no reason.
Rentals are cheaper too. 500USD a month can get you a very nice place to stay alone in a good neighborhood.

Good Morning,, You can buy almost everything here,, but most things are on the low end of quality. I suggest bring everything you will need for work. Also bring on the plane, the pricey, heavy items for normal life. You can have most things shipped vis air within 7 days. I just ship light weight items. You can estimate about $2.00 a lb. I have not had any problems at this time. Gary

Could you tell me what the electricity supplies for end use?  The U.S.A. is 120Volts AC at 60 Hz.  Are the outlets the same as Europe or more like USA?  I was just wondering if I can take some appliances with me or count on buying them there.

It is like in the US
But stability of the voltage is not guaranteed;
you need batteries AND regulators.

I imported a SIEMENS small central phone, and I put a transfo and a regulator.
It was dead in two weeks.

regards

Hello,, Mark  It is same as the USA. You can buy just about anything here. It depends on your cost of shipping,, Most of the heavy items, probably cheaper to just buy here. Most areas have a Exito store,, just like a super Walmart. A lot of the items are lower quality and maybe 20-25 higher. It is not bad, when you think how hard it is to get things into some areas.

Tools.  if you like to do your own repairs around the house, I recommend you bring your tools.  The tools here are of poor quality.  The materials by which they are made (mostly made in China) are substandard.  Storage containers are very expensive (Plastic) and very small.  If living in Bogota or any place that is cold a good compact water heater for showers is helpful. Good quality towels are hard to find,  300 thread or better fitted sheets, non decorative blankets (cozy or heavy), The pillows are pretty bad I recommend you bring your own and your own quality pillow cases. I think that computer equipment is reasonable in Colombia and printer and inks.