Moving to Oman - good idea?

Hello Everyone,

I received a job offer from a large banking group in Muscat. They are offering me 2100 OMR per month + medical + accommodation. No removal allowance. I am wondering if you could share some insights on the following:

1) How safe is Oman compared to other places like Dubai or Abu Dhabi?
2) Is it easy for children to get admission in schools ?
3) Is the offer I received enough to live comfortably in Oman? I have two children of age 2 and 5.
4) Are there any *real* expat clubs or groups other than online forums?

Looking forward to your replies. I have time only until this Thursday to accept or reject the offer.

Thank you.

- Sainaba

CONGRATULATION.

CONGRATULATION.

I THINK YOU HAVE GOT THE BETTER OFFER.CHILDREN SCHOOLING AND OTHER FACILITIES ARE BETTER.
THE PLACE SAFE.

Rais

Hi Sainaba,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope you receive replies to your queries very soon.

All the best,
Christine
--------------------

Hi Rais,

Can you please avoid using your caps lock on the forum. Thank you.

sainaba wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I received a job offer from a large banking group in Muscat. They are offering me 2100 OMR per month + medical + accommodation. No removal allowance. I am wondering if you could share some insights on the following:

3) Is the offer I received enough to live comfortably in Oman? I have two children of age 2 and 5.

Looking forward to your replies. I have time only until this Thursday to accept or reject the offer.

Thank you.

- Sainaba

Hello Sainaba,

Congratulations & welcome to our place (one of the best in the world).
First of all I am too from your place (Thrissur) & I work as a Business Development Consultant in a major company here in Muscat.
Now, to answer your questions, first of all I must say the Salary Package they had offered you is excellent. I am sure you'll not have much to worry off with such a package to live in Oman.

Me: Oman is one of the best place to live (& to be honest I know many expats from my hometown who live here since 25-30 years). So you really don't have to worry anything about the safety. You will find Omanis as the most well cultured & well mannered Arabs in the entire GCC.

Me: It depends upon for which classes they need admissions. In muscat we have 4 Indian schools (Indian School Muscat, Indian School Wadi Kabir, Indian School Ghobra, Indian School Seeb).
If you could book the seat a bit early it always helps & sometimez I see they (Indian schools here) always get flexible with a proper recommendation (so do use the influence, if you have any).

Me: As conveyed earlier it is a good package. You may need to find a 2-3 bedroom flat (again it would be helpful to you if the flat is near to the school) which may cost near about OMR 350 - 475 depending upon the location.

There are couple of 'Samaajams' / expat clubs. Our Indian Embassy in Muscat can guide you well in this regard.
Also, please do check out omanforum.com (it is one of the best happening Forum we have which is awsomely helpful & are allowed to discuss anything & everything)

Hope the above is helpful. Anything further if you may need, either you can PM me or e-mail me @ [email protected]
Once again WELCOME to OMAN...!!!

Hi Sainaba,

Congratulations
You are welcome in your second country Oman,And thanks for brother Izaan well done he gave you the all information about my country i think no need to tell you more really you got a good offer, 
( Be happy if you are in Oman ).

Best Regards
Ammar

Hi Sinaba,

You have got one of the best packages in oman . You can close your eyes and take it. Oman is comparetively the best place to live in the g.c.c in terms of cost of living

well, congrats, 1st of...
i guess what u got as a package is gr8...accomodation is the worst thing 2 worry abt in here, but as long as they're providin u with it, then it's gr8, especially with that salary, u'll b competin with the sultan :)
as far as livin in oman, based on what i c with my married colleagues, it's perfect 4 families n couples...life is soooo easy, never complicated, no hustle n bustle, no headache (except 4 the heat, oh gosh!!)..but 4 singles, oman is like hell, literally, it's sooo boring n monotonous (thank god i keep seein my buddies almost every day 4 shisha, finner, etc..)
schoolin in international school is good as far as i know..
anyway, hope u all the best, enjoy

Hi All

Can you please help me.  I am coming to Muscat in the next 2 weeks with my family.  My daughter is 6 yrs old.

Are there any clubs / groups / sports clubs she can join?

Thanks,
Andy - UK

Hi All

I have been offered a job in Oman. I am considering to move with my family,my wife and two children (3 years old + 6 month old).
I want to seek your opinion on following points.

1. How is the education for the children in Oman?
2. My wife is Physiotherapist. Is there any possibility for her to find any job?
3. It might be required for me to travel in my job. would it be manageable for my wife with two kids and safe??

Thanks in advance

sainaba wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Thank you.

- Sainaba

1. I didnt get that, are you trying to say Dubai / Abu Dhabi isn't safe? In all places, it is paramount to carry our common sense. Oman is pretty safe as long as you remain discreet in poorly lit areas and dont attract too much attention. A couple of weeks back, I did hear one of my friend being assaulted in a parking lot. Threats are caused by a few miscreants and it is wrong to have a stereotypical opinion on a place.

2. Its becoming harder to get admission in Indian Schools, especially Indian School Muscat, Darsait. One of my colleagues, had a pretty hard time getting his daughter into admission, if I am not wrong, I think they have kind of a lottery system, you can have a look here.   www. ismoman.com‎

3. It should be, there are some excellent posts on this forum that break up different expenses.

4. There are some excellent focus groups spread throughout Oman, they might not be advised unlike other countries, but if you have a look around in your local community, you should find something. By the way, what type of activities are you looking for??

Thanks,

Rammy

Dears,
I have a job offer from Oman, where they provide me all benfits with out scooling and accommodation
please could you advise if 1650 is ok..? to live there.
how much scooling cost
how much 2 bead apprt. cost there

cheers
Chengi

Hello Chengi,

Schooling and accommodation expenses would consume a bulk of your monthly income. School fee would vary from vastly between International Schools, to Omani Schools, to Indian Schools. And of course fee structure would also be different between grades. Online searching for specific details would give you comparable results.

For a 2BHK apartment monthly rents would range anywhere between R.O. 350/- to R.O. 800/- depending on the locality, the condition of the apartment and the accompanying bells and whistles.

The salary you have quoted is very average for a small family with young children. For a large family with grown up kids this salary will not suffice.

Best wishes.

Hello Sumitran,

Thanks for your reply.......I have a small family me,my wife and a small baby which is almost 2 years now
I had done lots of search on net but i could not find anything there.......so could you advise me employment rules & weather conditions
1. Do employer hold passport as same a Saudis doo
2. Can i leave my present employer any time or there is some restrictions to change jobs..
3. when there are hottest days and where temperature could reach i.e. 30-35 or more
4. what is the best place to live in oman as my job will be in Muscat ( 20 Km around) Approx

i will be looking read soon'
Cheers

Hi there,

Find below my responses to your queries :

(1)    Almost all employers hold the passports of their employees, sans a very small percentage. It is the norm here. Though it is illegal by law, it is nevertheless rampantly done. Employees do not have much say in that matter. ‘Surrender your passport, else seek employment elsewhere' is the unwritten rule.

(2)    Changing jobs is not possible easily. Firstly, if you are unhappy with your employer, employment you have to necessarily complete the mandatory notice period and the other terms and conditions which have been agreed upon through your employment contract prior to your joining. That is why it is really imperative that you read and understand all the terms and conditions of your employment before signing up for the job. Even if you land another job, you will have to cancel your existing employment visa, exit the country and re-enter with the employment visa issued by the new employer. It is time consuming, uncertain (because of things like labour clearance) and an expensive affair. If you look through the forum you will find more information on the subject, posted by me, as well as the other regulars here.

(3)    Summertime temperatures can rise really high. Even nowadays it has become quite hot and very humid. 40°C in summer is very common. Peak temperatures can go up to the high 40s°C. And such scorching temperatures will stay put for a good couple of months.

(4)    Your place of stay must be as close as possible to your place of work, to save yourself the hassles of commuting, getting caught in traffic jams, etc. Also if you do not have your own transport then commuting will become a huge hassle as public transport is still very unorganised and irregular. Details have already been provided in the forum. You need to read through the many posts to get a clear picture of how things will be here in Muscat.

Good luck.