The Maltese way of living and doing things

Dear all,
I need some advice.
I have been in Malta for just one week but now I feel that so far for me Malta has been a great disappointment.
I came here intending to stay for a year, but what I went thru for just one week makes me feel like Malta is not a good place to stay.

I think the Maltese culture is quite oriental and it is totally ok for the locals to lie 24/7 especially for prices and money.

Right after I landed here at the airport I wanted to buy a map of the island, and the fist one that I selected was not detailed enough and cost 8 , so I asked the cashier to change it for another that was more detailed and cheaper. I was refused unless buying some stupid things that I dont actually need so I can make a spending equal to 8 euros!

Yesterday, I was delighted to find out that the hotel where I stayed (Euroclub hotel in Qawra) has charged twice my credit card, After I presented them my online banking statement and talking twice to my bank to confirm that they had charged me twice, the hotel owner and manager refused to give me my money back and said that according to their books and accounts everything was perfectly fine!

I am truly disappointed to see the way people rip off foreigners and I another thing that I dont like is the piles of concrete and the fact that Malta is terribly overbuilt.

Could you please tell me is this constant lying and rip off-attitude the way things work here? I am really frustrated and I am sick of being taken for a fool by the locals.

Hi PMgirl,

seems like you got hit by the culture shock pretty soon!

The reaction of the book/map shop at the airport is correct ! They were customer friendly in letting you exchange the map after looking at it. But they are not required to give you a refund or part-refund as the map was not damaged or faulty.

As you paid by credit card you can cancel one of the transactions. It is not clear who overcharged you so it is understandable that the hotel is not willing to refund you as you can cancel the transaction! Of course it is annoying but it will be sorted out although it might take some time. I'm not sure if you can blame that on Malta !

All the other things are as they are and the way Malta is and are well known and often topic here on the forum.

I hope you get used to the way of life here and compared to Canada I can understand the 'shock'. It will get better first and then after 1 year or so it will hit back again -)))

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you Ricky, you are probably right...:)
Happy Easter!

PMgirl wrote:

I think the Maltese culture is quite oriental and it is totally ok for the locals to lie 24/7 especially for prices and money.

are you suggesting its a trait of orientals to lie 24/7 ??

Hi PMgirl,

From my own experience, I have to say my first few months in Malta weren't as good as I expected too. Never been ripped off has you did (fortunately), but it was more a case of cultural shock such as no respect when you you're queuing (bus stop, pharmacy, supermarket, you name it), rudeness from some Arriva bus drivers, a little bit of racism, etc, etc...
After my 1st 6 months, I was ready to pack and leave Malta. Meanwhile, my wife got pregnant, I started to ignore few things that used to make me very upset, I reckon I also got a bit calmer, bought a car and slowly slowly my attitude and thoughts about Maltese culture and people, also changed a bit. And now, after that "trial" period, I am thinking in staying over here for as long as me and my family can. So, what I wanted to try to say to you is that, it might take some time to adjust to the Maltese way of life and their culture but with time, your idea might change. In the end of the day, we're the ones who come to their country, therefore, we're the ones who have to adjust to them and not the other way around, if you know what I mean :-)

Best of luck!
Antonio

Agreed........and you have probably invested a lot of time and effort to get to Malta but, as Antonio says, slowly slowly is a good approach (I suppose that also applies to moving to anywhere other than within your home country). Malta is far from perfect, however, with time you will look at these 'nuisances' with an "ah well it is Malta after all" view and you will start to see the real reasons you made the move (and it will be less stressful).

Good Luck

Mike

Thanks for your replies. Yes slowly slowly is always a good approach, I agree.:)
Apart from the investment,  and the Maltese rip off attitude of the locals, there are plenty of things here that I dislike-  I even find the clothing of local young women ridiculously  unacceptable.

Believe it or not, usually when I go to a new country I feel inspired, interested and happy to be there. But Malta is probably not my place, if I have such feelings right from the first week..
Take care everyone and happy Easter!

Oh well PMgirl, in that case, I reckon you should buy your return ticket then lol. There are few things I don't like too but at the same time, there are few others that I like such as the weather, the beautiful views you can get mostly everywhere, lower cost of life, the friendliness of some locals, Gozo, etc, etc...and I could name a lot more. Did you do any research before coming to Malta? Most probably you've missed that important bit...

Happy Easter to you too!

Antonio

you are wrong, I did quite a lot of research actually, but i admit I underestimated the negative sides.

PMgirl wrote:

I am truly disappointed to see the way people rip off foreigners

In what way did you see that happen ?

PMgirl wrote:

you are wrong, I did quite a lot of research actually, but i admit I underestimated the negative sides.

Just out of interest......what were the 'negative sides' that you saw from your research?

Mike

In my opinion PMgirl is not happy where ever she goes. I still don't get the Asian remark she made, I think that was disrespectful. I live in a country where there are communities that are predominantly Asian, where most shops are Asian owned and I must say that they are the shops I go to because I know I wont be ripped off. She also accused somebody about being wrong about her not doing her research, Well I couldn't see in any of the post where anyone did that. SO PMgirl i think you should do what Montonas suggested and buy your return ticket today.

Just going to jump in and throw my experience in for balance as if I had read this thread before my move I would have begun freaking out.

I have been here a grand total of 9 days, I started my new job last Wednesday. I can without a single doubt say right now this is the single best decision of my life. The place is beautiful, the people friendly and helpful (google maps seems to enjoy sending me all over the place until I have to go analogue)

I guess I could pick a couple of holes here and there but you know what? I just have a smile on most of the time.

This experience is subjective and I just happen to be loving it.

The issue is - all the negatives have a degree of truth, as do all the positives - it comes down to how you weigh them up, and its not that there is a right and a wrong answer, just the correct answer for each person

Hi PMgirl.........now that the Easter break is over, how are you now feeling about the place - I really hope that your misgivings are laid to rest.

Kind Regards

Mike

Ok so I have read some of your posts and can concur on alot of the things you are saying and understand your frustration, I have only been here 2 weeks now and must say that I am beginning to come to some realizations.  First I understand that I live in a tourist area (slieam) so I always have the feeling that I am overpaying for things, and I know for a fact that I am paying much more then I shoud for cabs ( a complete joke) payed 60 euro roundtrip to Valletta.  It is tough when fist comng to a new country to realize what is normal and when you are getting ripped off, however I will tell you that I find the locals quite friendly once you are open and engaging with them, if you are an introvert it may be tough to get to know people here as they are not super engaging at first.  I will also add that the reason I knew I was being ripped off was because of honest Maltese who were very helpful in letting me know what I should be paying etc.  I understand your situation but I would give it time I have had alot of bad things happen my first week here but also alot of good, so try and focus on that and if it doesn't get better then maybe it isnt the place for you, I will keep you posted on how we are making out if you like, nice to see a fellow Canadian here. 

Jeff

Did you get a white taxi to Valletta by any chance? I suggest you use the established taxi companies like Wembleys, Ecabs and Yellowcabs.

Hahaha, yes I did.  I was told that after the fact but thank you for the advise, lesson learned like anything else I just take it as a learning experience :)

I've been living in Malta almost 2 years now, and here's how my experience has been with cultural differences: at first I couldn't understand why expatriates complained about the Maltese; I found them very friendly and helpful. It took me a little while to realise I was being overcharged and that they would talk behind my back in Maltese, etc. But I discovered by accident once when I became upset that they actually expect you to get upset and fight a little with them when it happens, and they even respect you for it. You will notice that shouting is acceptable even among themselves. If someone overcharges you, put up a fuss and don't take it without a fight. Don't pay more than €20 for a taxi between Sliema/St. Julian's and the airport. I know this is a difficult concept for most Westerners to grasp--moreover I'm not a shouting kind of person--but in much of the world, it's just the way it is. Malta is an in-between place--not really Europe, not really the Middle East... coming here as an expatriate, you just have to learn how to live in this context, otherwise you just get annoyed a lot. I guess it's like that anywhere. :)

Here's an article I wrote about my expatriate experience: The Difference Between Traveling and Living Abroad

I think everone here at some point has felt annoyed frustrated and angry with the "maltease ways"

At times they can be just downright ignorant more so the younger generation but I don't think it is meant when they talk in english it is sometimes hard to feel their expression as easy as you would had they spoke to you in maltease.

Malta is no different from anywhere else in the world you get your good and you get your bad. I have had some maltease bend over backwards to help and others not intrested.

I tend to stay away from sliema and st julians now and stay local. The people are more than willing to accomadate and invite you into their life if you are willing to give the same back.

@ Stephanie Anna and 6327farag

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/57/579912/2403611-3314683398-appla.gif

Is there anything you like in Malta? one thing which is positive?

If you don't like it, trust me, you will never see the good in a place.  May I suggest you move on but do some extensive research first.

I even find the clothing of local young women ridiculously  unacceptable.

Allright, women here don't always dress flatteringly, considering their often overweight body. Whether you are entitled to judge it "ridiculously unacceptable"... they may like it, they may have different criteria, they may not find (or have money for) different clothes. I often smile, what gives me a right to judge or condemn?

Most maltese are extremely honest people. Not white cabs. Not everybody in the tourist areas. I had some maltese friends tell me how they got cheated in Paris while actually living there. I was ripped off various times when I was living in Torino, Italy. On the whole, Malta is rather better than worse, compared to various other countries.

I believe it is for us, foreigners, to try and understand the country we decide to live in, before we make judgments. In good part, the quality of living is what we make it.

It's been ups and downs for me and my wife.  We've been here just over a year and have experienced some of the negative things other posters have mentioned.  The rudeness/shouting/queue jumping used to bother us a lot but we've somewhat fortified ourselves to it and call people out if they do it.  Also, it's not necessarily just Maltese people.  I hate to say it as I'm British but we've worked for and met some shady British people who are happy to exploit their staff and con older tourists.  So we've felt isolated at times from all types of people.

We experienced a cab driver try not to give us the change from a 50 note for a 30 euro ride the other week.  Though, we had a cab driver return our laptop we left in the back last year. 

Also another thing we noticed was a few people try to manipulate things by acting like they're doing you a favour with telling us 'it's better' a fair few times when they just want to save themselves time/effort.  Again frustrating.

I've definitely felt xenophobia here though I feel like I can't complain too much when I've seen African families get spoken to much worse, which certainly smacks of racism for them. Also I've had Maltese people express some remarkably racist remarks to me.  Again, I know people will say it's no different to other places or where racism is more covert but it does make me feel uncomfortable never mind those on the receiving end.

My wife and I have noticed how young girls dress.  It's not about their weight.  It does border on the inappropriate, especially for girls still in their mid teens wearing revealing outfits.  It's strange when you think how staunchly Catholic the place is.

There is a big culture shock and you will feel it a lot in your first months.  As other posters have said, you slowly adapt and learn to be a bit more forceful with things.  For us at least we have to remember (as a married couple from different countries) Malta gave us a home when our respective native countries would not or have made it insanely difficult/expensive for us to even try.

I always say "the things could be worst. You just don't have imagination" :)

I came from a city with 11 million people where the subway move all the Maltese population 5 times per day, where we don't have lines because it's impossible to organize anything. A country where taxi drivers in Rio stole you all the time and where you can feel unsafe all the time.

Also, I lived in Southeast Asia twice and always was different. I travel a lot, I have been in more than 40 countries and every culture is different.

If (just if) you expect to find the same home that you leave behind, go back. Nothing in the world (and in the life) is the same and, this is the wonderful thing about the life.

Don't upset yourself. Feel the people, the culture, the things with different eyes. Can be easily to love anything in anyplace.

Cheers

pmichelazzo wrote:

I always say "the things could be worst. You just don't have imagination" :)

I came from a city with 11 million people where the subway move all the Maltese population 5 times per day, where we don't have lines because it's impossible to organize anything. A country where taxi drivers in Rio stole you all the time and where you can feel unsafe all the time.

Also, I lived in Southeast Asia twice and always was different. I travel a lot, I have been in more than 40 countries and every culture is different.

If (just if) you expect to find the same home that you leave behind, go back. Nothing in the world (and in the life) is the same and, this is the wonderful thing about the life.

Don't upset yourself. Feel the people, the culture, the things with different eyes. Can be easily to love anything in anyplace.

Cheers

Yep, my wife and I stayed in Barcelona for an extended time and not only was the frustrating, rudeness, queue cutters and rip off merchants there was a lot of street robberies.  We witnessed three violent street robberies.  A gang attempted one on us when we just arrived but luckily for us they were not violent and they just dropped my wife's bag (we had everything in that particular bag, cash for our stay and our passports) when she looked at the thief.  Everyday, we went out we felt unsafe and would be aware of the gangs eyeing us up, making whistles/noises identifying us as a target, and flanking us.  We haven't felt unsafe like that in Malta at all.

My husband and I have also been here for a year, and love the place.  So what if they are rude, be rude back, if they try to queue jump, just get in front of them,  beat them at their own game.  I have had a taste of the shocking health system, hubby had a stroke and rushed to Mater Dei. The way they drive, bubble doesn't come close. Ignorance, arrogance, bullies and best of all, claiming that its too hot to work....get a grip, have lived in Egypt, way hotter and everything is open all day every day. They are lazy and most of all I love them.  They drive me nuts, but will treat you like family, can't do enough for you and all things considered, if you can't make it work here, you really don't want to.

Thanks to all posters - this is what is so wonderful about this forum and for me, the purpose of it. To find out the "warts-n-all" (or at least get a flavour of it). I have visited Malta many times but always for a week and always as a visitor (of expat relative)/tourist. I've usually got lots of time and a few euro's in my pocket.

When we arrive in September, it will be for keeps, we will need to make a living, we will be living as frugally as possible while we grow our business. In short, it will be for real this time!

My Mum-in-Law is sick, elderly and has never worked in Malta  - living on her pension. She also has some useful contacts, so I've never really felt the "underbelly" alluded to in some of the posts. And yet, they ring true.

Fore warned is fore armed (I think that is the saying). So thanks for the warning, all of you.

I particularly feel for the comment that people are so friendly and treat you like family  - while possibly at the same time not delivering on your hopes. I suspect this is evident everywhere - and I've certainly experienced the friendly side
  :)

Just be prepared for a lot of frustration,  but its worth it ....

Please can you advise without me having to go through all the long thread....what happened to PMGirl in this is she ok today?
Thank you
Roy :)

I enjoyed a dialogue with PM Girl but the last I heard, after putting her on to some available work she was interested in, was that she had an interview.
Nothing since. That was in April. I hope she found what she was looking for.

Reading this thread has made me think of the similarities of when I lived and had business in Romania. A country I have had dealings with for over 15 years. In turn, it also reminds me of a chat with an English lady who works in a bar in Marsascala run by her Scottish husband. The biggest complainers of things on the island, she said, are the English!! ;-)

This is in no way to undermine the bad experiences that some have experienced in Malta, but as pmichelazzo  is saying, you have to see things with 'different eyes'.

In Romania...rudeness, queue jumping, zero customer service, little consideration for anyone outside of family...these are all things that are the norm there, and this doesn't begin to scratch the surface of negative things a foreigner living (NOT holidaying) there will face. I may be in my mid thirties, but living there gave me enough life experiences to now be feeling like a sixty year old ready for retirement! :-)

I did learn to live with cultural differences though (animal cruelty aside). And it's something we as 'aliens' to other people's well established ways of living should just learn to get used to. No offence is meant here, but for God's sake English people...stop complaining when you are in someone else's 'Home'.!! Nobody likes, for example, queue jumpers..but lets look at this in perspective here...would you have an argument with a gang of queue jumpers in Birmingham City Center (uk)? - My wife did...she was then assaulted. Do you hear of that happening in Malta? I rest my case. The reality is that something as trivial as queue jumping in Malta, like Romania, is not even considered 'rude' by a Maltese (maybe?), it's just 'what they do'. But we Brits ('ever so 'polite'), view it as rudeness! - just push in yourself if you want to fit in!! haha, joking.

Its every English man (and woman's) task to try to civilise any country they are in and we have made a pretty good job of it so far!

After all if we don't who will?

Terry :/

Thought I'd add a few thoughts.

We have had a couple of negative experiences in Malta:

Husband got punched in the face by a landlord In our previous block for mending the front door lock!
Can't buy from our local veg sellers as he charges foreigners double, which is a real shame as I'd like to support local traders.
The overdevelopment saddens us.

But the positives are many and far outweigh the annoyances:

From our experiences of both, the buying and selling of property much better system than in England.
Delivery of furniture etc very efficient and always on time.
Driving may seem erratic but drivers always seem to stop to let us cross.
Yes the scramble to get on the bus is annoying (can be hilarious if you just go with it) but if you are struggling with bags people will help. And if you look a bit jaded, someone will give up their seat for you.
We have lost count of the number of times we have looked lost and someone has pulled up in their car, told us to hop in, and taken us to our destination. One lady even saw us wading through a flooded road and gave us a lift round the puddle!
If you buy something bulky from a local shop, someone will help you up the street with it.
You can get on a bus and with half an hour witness evidence of 5000 years of human endeavour.
Theatre, music, art, culture: always something world class going on.

I could go on. We spend half our time in Malta and live a one minute walk from Ballutta Bay. I am quite prepared to let the annoyances go so I can experience the joy of the view over the bay, and the history and beauty Malta has if you look for it. X

Hi tearnet I hope your comment was not serious. It's comments like this that make people hate the British. I lived under
the British in Malta and in Australia and I found them to be the most controlling and arrogant people I had to deal with.
The only thing I learnt about them is that when you are one step ahead of them they are very jealous people.

Goodness me I think the British sense of humour is wasted on some people!!!

I don't think it was funny. Some humour is in bad taste. Most of you on this forum wouldn't remember when Malta was under the British. They fenced off all the best beaches and wouldn't let the Maltese swim in their own waters.

Irony:  some forms of litotes can emphasize one's meaning by the deliberate use of language which states the opposite of the truth, denies the contrary of the truth, or drastically and obviously understates a factual connection.
I guess some just don't get that.  ;)

I'm not too happy about some of the things the Romans, Vikings and Normans did to Britain, but I let the past be the past, and dont get upset by things the Italians, Danes and French say about the UK.