ESL Teaching in Erbil - any other teachers tuned in?

Hello,

I am applying for a position as ESL teacher and would be interested to know if there are any others out there I could network with. My background is business rather than teaching so its all a bit new to me but appears to be an excellent way to travel and earn.

I noted the expense of housing and imagine expats share houses so if anyone is interested in sharing a house let me know - all of this will weigh in on my enthusiasm to take the position.

Thanks,

Nigel

Hello Nigel.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Concerning the accommodation, do not hesitate to post an advert in the Housing in Iraq section.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thanks Aurelie,

Soon as I get a post confirmed I am right in there : )

Nigel

What school are you looking at Nigel? I've been teaching in KRG for over two years, can give you the lowdown on most establishments.

Cheers,
Luke

I will also be starting teaching in Koya University, outside of Erbil. I have several years' ESL experience. Don't worry too much about coming from a different background (mine was PR/communications/press office) - just be prepared, follow the spirit if not the letter of any TESOL/CELTA training you have done. I would recommend at the beginning stages writing out a lesson plam with timings for every lesson- what you are doing, how long you need to spend on each activity, what type of interaction (gp, solo, paired etc). That way you can check that you are mixing activity types over a week. And keep your language simple, repeat instructions and check that students know what they have to do - write them on a board if necessary. If you are professional and well-prepared it avoids classroom management problems, whatever the age group. Final advice - have a policy on latecoming and mobile phones and stick to it....check with your employers what (if anything) they do about this.

Hi Luke or anyone still out there,

I'd like to go teach in Erbil and I'd really appreciate any information you have to give me on some good schools out there.  I have experience with children and adults.