What's up with the new bicycle rentals in the city?

At the moment I am out of HU so not sure what is going on with the new pick up/drop off bike rental business in Budapest.
I am  all for saving money and doing what we can to cut back on smog in the city.
The BKV rates can be expensive for students on a budget and older people, working classes are also having to find ways to get around the high cost of city transportation.
The thing is from what we read on the internet there may be way too many bicycle users who do not follow safety practices as they should.
Many ride on the sidewalks without much care for the safety of walkers.
I witnessed my elderly neighbor walking on the sidewalk while a young many stopped 6 inches short of knocking her over because he was speeding on the sidewalk on a rainy day.
He just speed away without even saying sorry to her, she was shaking from the scare.
I understand the streets can be narrow in places and cars go fast and bikers are afraid of getting hit.
I am just wondering what rules or laws are out ther to protect innocent walkers from wreck less bikers who are sharing the sidewalks with children, elderly and handicapped people who may not be able to move out of the bikers way fast enough to protect themselves.
Any thoughts about this issue?
What is out there to protect walkers,  what recourse is out there if we are hit by a biker who is at fault?
Perhaps the city should add more bike routes and bike lanes, who is going to pay for the new lanes though as only a small faction of the public rides bikes. There are many other things that the funds could be used for that would serve more people.
Just wondering, I have almost been hit twice by moped riders using the sidewalks, made me think who is going to pay for any broken bones and pain and suffering for accidents to walkers, the city, the bike rental business or the pubic?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

who is going to pay for any broken bones and pain and suffering for accidents to walkers, the city, the bike rental business or the pubic?

Broken bones are paid for by the health insurance coverage of the person with the broken bones (mandatory health coverage is required in Hungary for residents, all EU citizens are also covered in Hungary via intra-country agreements in the EU, while tourists really should not travel without traveler's insurance).

I would just forget any concept of getting awarded damages for "pain and suffering". There is not much a tradition for this type of litigation in Hungary. There are exceptions, of course, but mostly civil case awards are mostly limited to provable losses. Even if you do somehow manage to get some type of "pain and suffering" award, I would not expect any such award, in most cases, to be anything more than trivial. And don't forget, in Hungary it is common to have to pay your lawyer throughout the process. And if you loose you most likely have to pay the other's legal fees, even if you were the injured party.

Finally, from people who I know in Hungary who have personally dealt with cases in Hungarian courts, I have come to the opinion the courts here are anyway, in many ways, dysfunctional. Not only do they take years for any case to get to trial, may "ignore" (or at least play down) evidence, and legal precedent is routinely ignored turning any trial into a risky enterprise.

P.S. I also find the US court system dysfunctional in many ways. Just in different ways than in Hungary

I like the Bubi's, most western European cities have had them for a while.
Your concerns are mostly what I've felt all along about motor bikes.  I can't believe the way people drive them here, in and out of traffic lanes, on the sidewalk, over tram lines, anywhere they can fit.
I know a lot of bikers in the States, and they are always rallying for better safety, for riders and car drivers, to respect each other.
I have no sympathy for the bikers here, if they're zipping around in people's blind spots, they deserve what's coming to them.
I like to ride my bike, and sometimes it is safer on the sidewalk, but I am always careful of pedestrians.  It's called a sideWALK, not a sideRIDE.  And vice-versa, people need to stop walking in the bicycle lanes and yakking on their cellphones so they can't hear your bell.

It all comes down to common courtesy and respect for other people, and I find that incredibly lacking in Hungary.

'And vice-versa, people need to stop walking in the bicycle lanes and yakking on their cellphones so they can't hear your bell.'

Yes! It's very annoying. I cycle in the city and I'm often a pedestrian. I believe it all comes down to bad planning. Of course everyone must be responsible for their own actions but in places the bike lanes are ridiculous. There can be huge stretches of bike lanes with no signage so pedestrians don't know they aren't supposed to walk there. I live on Jaszai Mari Ter and there is a bizarre bike route/pavement/crossing/road system which often causes someone to be in someone else's way.

Also Marilyn do you think it's only a small fraction of the public that ride bikes? I have a different impression but maybe that is just the circles i mix in, does anyone have any statistics?

Are you asking for information or just parodying the writing style of the letter to the editor section in small-town newspapers?

In case you are serious:
Students and seniors pay only a token fee (~100HUF/day) for unlimited public transportation within the city limits.

Bikes, and doubly more so motorbikes are generally not allowed on sidewalks, rental or not. Bikers get ticketed for doing so.
Bike routes are sometimes used as sidewalks: very dangerous and obtrusive to traffic.
Budapest has a lot of bike routes in the quantitative sense, it's possible to get a good workout biking on them.
They do not however form much of a transportation network, you can't actually get from here to there safely.

The only difference between being hit by a car versus a bike (besides the type and magnitude of injuries) is that car drivers may have to bear liability without fault ("veszelyes uzem" is the legal term), whereas a cyclist does not. This makes absolutely no difference in the proverbial scaredly old lady run over by rude dude "jaybiking" on the sidewalk case. So unless you can contrive a scenario where all that suffering is caused without either party being at fault, the point is moot.

Oh, and not enough people biking to make building bike routes worthwhile? Completely backwards. The more bike routes there are, the more people will bike. While dodging cars like you have to now in Budapest is extreme and only for thrill-seekers (thus the high percentage of assholes among bikers currently: it's too dangerous for regular people), biking on a safe, separate road is a completely normal thing in Europe.

My best guess is that nobody will compensate you for your broken bones and suffering. I would look into a good health/accident insurance coverage. Rather then focusing on being awarded for damages, 'street-proof" yourself for Budapest standard. Be alert, be aware of your surroundings, look out for yourself. [Moderated: no generalised statement here pls]

destinationbp wrote:

[Moderated: no generalised statement here pls]

Again, a gross generalisation, judging all Hungarians by what you experience in Budapest. In my experience, Hungarians tend to be polite, helpful, respectable people. In my village, even the children generally say "Csókolom" if they pass me in the street or walk past my place when I'm in the front garden.

Make a bicyclist cut-away from a large piece of carton. 40x40cm , buy a can of white spray paint. Fix the signs or lack thereof on your bicycle lane by spray-painting bicycle sign on the bicycle lane. Wear a hat and tight black clothing while doing this. Don't wait for a government to fix everything around you.

You don't see anyone using them. The bicycles are parked at these modern looking bicycle-rack stations. There's lots of written instructions at the bicycle-station explaining how to pay for usage. The more you read the less you know .. and the less interested you become!
I'd like to see Orban Viktor do a "promo" advertisement by picking up a bike from the bike-station (showing everyone how easy it is done!) and then peddling around the Parliment House square, around the enormous flagpole or something like that ......  before returning it to the bicycle-station :)
Maybe then it would catch on as something trendy!!!

Your a girl after my own heart!!feel the exact same way about bikers on sidewalks.
Many of my US friends ride bikes everyday to work but they live in places like Washington where people are more socially aware and care about others.
So many bikers going full speed on sidewalks,people on skateboards too.
I lived in Hawaii and S. Cal. and know just by looking that many of these people on boards don't have a real clue what they are doing, just a matter of time before they hurt an innocent on the sidewalk.
I wonder why not many bikers wear helmets, just small kids do here.
Have almost been cut down 3 times over the years by 2 mopeds that were on the sidewalk and once by a full size motor bike using the sidewalk. Totally insane here in Budapest. This city was not built for bikes like streets in the Netherlands.
it would be nice if the public transportation would lower the cots a bit. Perhaps that would cut down on some of the sidewalk riders. They are afraid of getting hit by cars in the streets but what about walkers being afraid to use the sidewalks.
I know in the countryside many riding bikes are drunks who wobble to bars on their bikes, had an old neighbor who did that, full on loaded and on the streets riding. Wonder how many skateboarders and bikers have just left the bars before "sharing" the walkways with walkers.Have to look more then both ways whenever one goes outside these days.
In the US these riders would have tickets.
I feel sorry (slightly) for the bus drivers and taxi drivers who must share the roads with wild riders on bikes as much as I feel sorry for walkers who must make way for wild riders on sidewalks. This country is crazy!!
Then again there really is no thing as "personal space" like we have in the west. people don't mind breathing down your back here so getting too close on a bike might not be an issue for people who don't know any limits.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I know in the countryside many riding bikes are drunks who wobble to bars.

I live in the countryside. Was driving home one day and around a curve in the road was a bike in the road and a body laying on the pavement. We stopped. I assumed the cyclist had been hit by a car. I got out our warning triangle and walked back 100 meter to warn other cars while my wife called an ambulance (need I mention no other cars bothered to stop before or after us as as if bodies in the road were normal).

Turned out the cyclist was just drunk and had passed out.

Sounds about right, really scary for walkers in the city, see so many bikers having super close calls with walkers.
Our neighbor in Erd several years ago used to wobble down the dusty road to hit the bars all day long on his bike.
he once fell and dislocated his shoulder, we took him to the local emergency because his own wife was to embarrassed to show her face with him.
What a strange site we made, him a country guy totally drunk and feeling no pain, me a Calif. Valley girl and my slim conservative Hungarian husband all coming into the ER together.
Summer is here and more bikers will be hitting the city streets, really I should say they will be hitting the city sidewalks.
The truly scary thing is our drunky neighbor was off the next morning on his bike off to the bars wearing his sling and only having use of one arm.
The guy was totally nuts. Another time my husband and I were off to the lake for the day.
The neighbor saw us leaving the house and invited himself to come along.
Would of been alright but what a day with him.
First off he got so drunk my husband had to make him lay down the guy got up to enter the lake. My husband went in with him to cool off and watch him.
then the guy was messing around and dropped his dentures in the lake! My husband looked just as crazy because he kept diving over and over again looking for the guys teeth! Found them.
The guy had us so confused on the ride (non stop talking)over that my husband forgot to shut off the headlights on our car.
Hours with them on left our car battery dead when we wanted to leave. Had no cell phone with us so my husband walked to the nearest phone to get a local friend to pp over and give us a jump start, we had no cables with us so couldn't ask anyone around for a jump.
I was stuck in the car with this drunk guy for around 2 hours!! I was losing my mind and at that point wished I had some hard liquor to drink myself!
I had to physically set my lounge chair up on the sidewalk to get away from his non stop talking to me in Hungarian.
Nothing like having to hear a drunk in a language you can't even understand.
i wanted to go back and take another swim to cool off while waiting for my husband to return but couldn't leave that nut case alone in our car. After that we snuck away like thieves in the night when we headed for the lake, feared he would invite himself along again.