The other side of the Burmese postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Myanmar, how would you describe the two sides of your Burmese postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

Hi
I am an expat in my own country as I am an Australian citizen, recently returned to Myanmar to work in one of the INGOs. I work in the field of child protection and child's rights. As social worker in child protection field for many years in Australia, I am return to Myanmar to contribute what I know, learn and share skills and knowledge. 

Returning back to Myanmar is challenging as well as rewarding with many changes taking place.
As what other sees, 'this side' of Myanmar's postcard: colonial area still presents as some of the old buildings still visible and standing, millions of cars, traffic jam, which taken to all new dimension.. and people in different walks of life, poverty, struggling - both socially and economically.. seems.. 'life goes on'..

On the 'flip' side of Myanmar's postcard.. people are just embracing 'new found' democracy, freedom of the press, can freely express about anything from politics, military and politicians...
Sad thing is as 'mind set' of over 50 years, under suppressive regime clearly shows in all people of Myanmar and behaviour and thoughts/view change will be most challenging for Myanmar people as well as whoever that is here to assist with any aid or capacity building with governments officials and staff.  This is to be expected and “world” has to be ‘patience' in regards to that.  Those changes include:

•    Human rights (child, women, other minority, disability..etc..
•    Social protections;
•    Sustainable livelihood;
•    Mandatory Education for all children;
•    Health for all;
•    Citizenship – that is ‘big ask';
•    Recognised multiculturalism in Myanmar
•    Infrastructure in regards to road, housing and urban/town planning

I could go on, however, this evolution requires guidance and nurturing and in hope, countries assisting ‘change' be ‘patient' and it will be rewarding experience for all. Thank you

Enjoy
Cynthia Ohnmar Khin-Latt

Great description...

Thanks,

Olive

midnitemessages.blogspot.com/2014/05/life-in-myanmar-2-years-on.html

[Moderated: off topic]