Is it dangerous work in Erbil for expat female?

IŽve lived in Ainkawa for 4 years and I have never seen girls wearing shorts.

Yes in Ainkawa some of the women do not cover. Also sometimes in the local high end shopping malls. But in general women cover here. Not always with Abiya but usually with clothing. Girls can wear as they like until they start to look sexually developed.

As a woman, if I do not cover my arms and legs I am subject to a lot of harassment from the local men in the form of looks, tongue movements, and cat calls.

Additionally my employer would take corrective actions against me if I appeared in public with bare arms and legs. Perhaps those women do not have to be responsible to an employer, etc.

To avoid trouble make sure your sleeves go at least to the elbow, no boobs hanging out, and skirts to mid calf or pants. Hair can be uncovered.

I didn't mean to criticise anybody...I m happy to see the mentality of the people around....It doesn't mean that any girl should start wearing that....,I saw few girls going to party in their private own cars...few were in gowns n few were in mini skirt....which was ok to me....they were wearing the dress according to the occassion.not for office....the post was just Fyi n not to be encourage by rest.......

hiii all

Hi Olena

If you like i can provide you with full details about Erbil .
send me your skype .

Cheers

Hi truhad,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

I would suggest you to share your experiences and post them directly on the Iraq forum so that other members can also benefit.

Thank you

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

I'm currently in Erbil for a business trip and I found it very safe :)

helo ,
i want start my business in erbil ,  pls come in skype and advice me  how to start company and business ,  skype id =  brahmamadhu1962

hello to every body.NO. not at all.on the contrary there is entirely safe and secure in all Erbil.because they are democrat and kind people to every foreigner.they are called Kurdish and local language is Arabic and Kurdish.women are not forced to have hejab and females can go to every where freely.

hello dear sir.what kind of busyness you want to establish there.if you  want i can help you.because i know the Kurdish people very good and i can speak with them. i am not Kurdish or Arabian but they can speak Farsi language easily and i can speak Farsi and Turkey and English. you have to go there and ask from natives about your plan.then they introduce you to every thing that you need.

hello hasnaa .i gave answer to one of the members .you can read it.but if you have any question about Erbil and its culture and other thing i can answer to them. :)

I can see clearly that the person who is writing women can go everywhere freely is a man and has not experienced being a woman in Erbil. There are many local eating establishments that do not welcome women unless they are with their husband. If you look in the window of these sorts of eateries you will not see any women inside. There are also some tea/coffee houses like this. Places that cater to expats welcome women as do some fast food eateries. Many gyms in town, if they welcome women, do so at specific hours of the day only. Swimming is also segregated. Women also do not seem to drive motorcycles or ride bikes.

Local women do not generally go out at night unless they are in a group with other women so once again my ability to go alone freely is impacted because local males view me as looking for sexual adventure when I am out alone at night.

Erbil is relatively safe for a woman if she follows the unwritten rules the local women follow. Dress conservatively and keep all body parts covered except for hands and face and there will be no problems. Avoid taxi drivers you don't know if you are out alone. Try to go places with groups of women.

Yes this is not as restrictive as Saudi but certainly more restrictive than being a woman in my home culture/country.

i did not say that Erbil is Europe.if you want to compare it with Europe or Australia or America you are right my opinions are to some extend exaggerated.but Erbil as Asian country which is located in the middle east and as a country which has been freed from war and many years Saddam dictatorship and as a  Muslim  country  is trying to become one of the secular and democrat  country in the region.if you take a look at the India and Iran and other part of Iraq and Saudi Arabia and other Middle East county ,then you will see that i am right.i think Erbil can convert to a modern country in the short time ,if don't happen unpleasant thing to that people.i am not Kurdish or Iraqi ,i am just an Iranian , but i know Iranian Kurdish people this is why i say that they are good people.but Sexual needs are found every where among the men and women even in Europe and  America even rapping to women is much worse in those countries than this countries.

Yeah no motorcycle driving......but many locals women drive 4 wheelers ........and sometimes in emergency,I hired taxis too....but yes u have to cautious while in taxi,they ask so many questions,just ignored them and u ll b fine....I would suggest to go with the senior taxi drivers....no offence to anybody...just sharing my experience!!!!

no dear friend i wanna advice you its very save and nice

I agree that older taxi drivers seem to make fewer problems. I also look for the red and white older model taxis as those drivers seem to be nice and charge a more normal price. I avoid any taxi with a mall name on it as they charge a lot more.

[Moderated: off topic]

I wonder how you got along and if you like it. We are thinking of moving to Erbil as well.

Hello,

The last post in this thread was a while ago!
Now, is there any female working in Erbil at the moment who wants to share experiences?

Regarding personal safety, general feeling of insecurity or security among people on the streets with ISIS spreading throughout the region...

Are people going out at night, still?

Would you recommend a european female to go to Erbil?

Thank you!!

Rulosa

Hi Rulosa

Did you get any more info about working in Erbil.
I'm considering a job (working and living in hotel). Not sure if it's a crazy idea or not.

Let me know what info you find out.

I'm a single woman (blonde South African). But pretty streetwise.

Annie

hi
welcome to to Erbil, its safe and you find out.

I'm thinking to move to Suli, next month.

Happy New Year friends

Sully is comperatively more open

Best of luck

Let me know if i can be of any help in sully

Hi there, would i be ok to stay near suli with my husband just until he sorts his passport out? I am british and abit scared to go.

hi  I am from erbil ankawa  i am Christan ............. if u need any help u can ask me ?
Erbil its save place ........you wellcome ....