Teacher in Thailand

I am an american citizen, I have only the high school (GED) made in USA and the TEFL course made on line.
Do I have any chances to become a teacher in Thailand?

How should I start?

Thank you.

I believe Thailand now requires a university degree before you can be a teacher but then again this is Thailand so who knows.

Check this site for more details about teaching in Thailand.

ajarn.com

Yes you will find work here without problem. I am a Canadian 60, with a 3 year International Trade diploma and no TEFEL or TESOL course.   Main requirements are that you are a native English speaker.   Don't believe what others tell you. I have worked in Bangkok, Korat and now working in Roi Et, for a language school.Ten dollars per hour and a half.
A government school also wants my services.  I do suggest a short 100 hour 3 month Thai course, it will get you a 6 month education visa to start, which gives you a lot of time to find work. The Ed. visa must be obtained in your country before you come, register and pay for a course in Bangkok and they will send the paperwork, for the Thai Embassy in your city to get the Ed. visa. If you are going to live and teach here a little Thai is essential. Khao Jai Mai???   Many agencies require a degree to place you and will take two thirds of your salary. Many government schools hire through agencies and the agency kicks back the director money. Not all agencies require a degree. I can give you names and locations. [email protected]

Oh...thank you....can u send me more datails on my email: [email protected]

Thank you again.

oliver

If you did not receive my email let me know.

Is there then any advantage to having a degree? More job options or better salary?

Yes...  But you can find a job without one.  Some schools, agencies etc will ask for one, others will not. Native English speaker is the prerequisite. Agencies take a cut in your pay.

www.   aycthailand.com      agency    gets paid 50,000Bhat a month and pays you 30,000.  Wants degree.  Degrees can be bought in Bangkok for $100.00

Sorry, but I'd have to disagree.

My ex-boyfriend was here with me for six months. He had A-Levels but no degree, and a full 120 hour CELTA (not from online) over a years experience teaching, and the IHCYL and IHBET1 additional teaching certificates.

It took him five months to get a job here, and when he did get one he was only working part-time, and not on a contract (therefore he often didn't get paid on time etc.) plus any job that will employ you without a degree probbly won't arrange your visa/work permit, so you still have to do border-runs, and the jobs are normally on the lowest end of the payscale.

It might've been easy in the past to get jobs without a degree, and sometimes even without a full teacher training course, but now it's really a case of "right place right time" snd there's so much competitionf or jobs that if you do't have these qualifications I wouldn't recommend it.

Gone were the days of westerners getting a teaching job in Bangkok so easy without any proper qualification.  Immigration law have tighten too and it all started by 1 american guy who is a teacher here but wanted back in USA for child sex.

Since then, all teaching jobs are review and new immigration laws enforced.  Many filipinos who are also teachers are affected too due to the immigration laws.

Hi ,
Could you help me find some agencies in Bangkok where they dont mind if you don't have a TEFL or CELTA certificate? I do have 3 years of experience teaching in China , but I never needed to get the TEFL , CELTA or TESOL before wanting to move to SEA.

Thank you
Aris

Hello Aris,

This is a very old thread (2011) and maybe you will not receive too much replies here.
Maybe it would be better if you can create a new thread with your questions, What do you think? ;)

Priscilla