Salvador City Nightlife

Hi Guys,

Need some help here, I have one night before I fly back to NZ and I want to see so nightlife, I like to party;-)

My issues are i can only talk English and I have no idea where to go.

Look forward to you help

Cheers

Trust me, once you are out, you will see people and they can help you with places, otherwise ask at some hotel or anyone that look friendly for ( Boate, Festa, Balada ) they will know straight away.

Hi Jump1234,

Just remember when you ask, be very careful with the way you pronounce the words!

If you pronounce "boate" the way you read it, you'll be in for a big surprise because you'll end up looking at a row boat and thinking Brazilians are crazy. Ask for a "bo-wah-tchee" and you'll end up in a nightclub. Safer still ask for a "cloo-bee naw-turna"!!!   :lol::lol::lol:

But don't worry, you won't be the first whose "gringo" accent go him into a jam, nor will you be the last!

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Jump1234,

Salvador is my usual stomping ground so here are a few suggestions:

Do:
-Try to go to Pelourinho.  There is ALWAYS some sort of cultural show, street party, concerts, etc.  It's absolutely spectacular and there are tons of bars there as well.

Don't:
-In Pelourinho, there is A LOT of petty theft and muggings so try to avoid any side roads.  Stick to the praca and you should be fine.  Also do not take any valuables with you especially if you might be drinking if you don't want them getting stolen.

Do:
-Try going down to Rio Vermelho.  There is a reallllly cool Samba club/cultural house called Casa da Mae down there.  You can get to it fairly easily by bus as it's well...on a main street.  About a 3 minutes walking distance from Casa da Mae is a praca that has THE BEST acaraje in Salvador.  You would be looking for Acaraje de Jo.  That praca always has live music, and is lined by a  few different chopperia's so you can sit and have a beer.  My friends and I have literally mad a night of walking back and forth between Casa da Mae and the acaraje stand and it was awesome.

If you also head down to Barra you will find lots to do.  The thing about Salvador is that it's not really a clubbing kind of place.  People enjoy going to listen to live music and those a typically the best kinds of parties out there anyway.

Hope that helps a bit!

I am going to Salvador in September. I will be staying near the Lighthouse I would like to just walk to restaurants and bars is this possible from there. Where should I not go near there thanks. Gary

Hi Gary!

I'm assuming u are referring to Barra?  Great location by the way. It's very close to a lot of different things and offers a diverse selection of restaurants and bars and live music. I can't pinpoint any place that is an ABSOLUTE must in Barra because I literally just went exploring (and never took note of names most times) but it is a pretty safe area with heavy tourism so you will be fine. Hopefully if you are there during Independence Day you will have a front row to the festivities that happen in Barra.

The only DONT is for you to not stray onto side streets once the sun is setting. Stay on the Orla (boardwalk). There have been tons of mugging on the off streets at night and Salvadoreans play it off but the reality is you need to take care.

Lastly there IS an upper scale restaurant on the Orla that has a perfect view if the beach and the sunset (do t remember the name!) but it is famous and easy to spot. You must eat there and certainly try to do so around when the sun will set.

Enjoy that wonderful city. I know I always do!