Is 10000 MYR a good salary for 9 yrs experience?

Hi,

I am currently working in a very highly reputed software company in India and earning a decent salary.

I have an offer (full time) from a company based in Kuala Lumpur for the role of Software Architect (10,000 MYR/month).
I have done BE in computer science and have ~9 yrs of software development experience.

Please let me know if this is a good salary or should I negotiate the salary before accepting the offer?
Also, how much would I be able to save per month after tax and monthly expenses with the current offer?

Thanks!!

Hi, can any one please reply to this ASAP. thnx!!

Hey bud, firstly you gotta give it some time for people to answer. This is not a 24x7 helpline :-)

Regarding your question, 10k is a decent salary if you are moving here by yourself. Any family coming here?

I will be alone for 1st 4 months, will take my parents after that.

With my current pay, I save ~1 lakh/month in India after tax deduction and monthly expenses.
Please let me know how I could save with 10K after tax and monthly expenses if I stay alone and with family of 2.

I have a discussion on Monday to negotiate the salary, appreciate any information before that. Thanks!!

For malaysia u can save lots w that salary & most indian expats,

Mostly depend on acvomoda.cost.are u willing to communte from sub.into kl.where in kl .do u waNt  to drive or by train

Just ask to skype & ask for 12k.look at the face expression & body lang.if not good go for it at 10k.the average fro that exper.& that job 5-6k.check up online recruitment +malaysia .also link.

Or negiotaite downward  from 12k-10k.
Like in india nor china.still possible in malaysia

Your savings depends on your how you spend here. Mainly accommodation.. Say if you want to stay near city.. Minimum will be around 1800rm, then food i think wont expensive will be max of 1000-1500rm
Regarding tax you can google for it since am also bit confused on that part :)

Thank you all for the update.

I currently save ~1L/month in India. Also If I switch company within India, I will be able to save ~1.3L/month after all the deductions. Please let me know if it is worth accepting the offer of 10K MYR, also what is the max salary I can negotiate?

I have gone through some of the posts in the blog, and it doesn't seem I would be able to save more than 1L/month in Kuala Lumpur with the current offer if I stay with my parents?

Hey c'mon... Please stop pronouncing in INR. As a software architect, 10K is average. you can demand 12-13K. All the savings depends on your living & expenses.

take the other offer where u save 1.3lakhs

Hi agree with carlyle    :top:

That's a good salary for start up

Hi,
RM 10k is not a bad start in KL but after reading your story, it seems that India is good for you.
My suggestion is, if you can work 3-4 years in KL then your salary will definitely increase to RM15-20k and may be you will have other offers in Malaysia by that time.

I personally think, RM 10,000 is a good salary but its depend what else benefits you are getting from them, if you are coming alone or not married yet so its a good amount but if you are coming with your children then I think you think twice because International Schools are very expensive here.

If alone then I think you should except this offer or try to little negotiate if possible.

Wish you best of luck

Regards

Riaz

Please do not accept RM 10000 offer. U can not save even what you are saving presently in India. Cost of living is much higher here.

Smart Techie - what did you decide in the end?  Its good to get some feedback on this forum about what swung decisions.

i would say, 10K is not a very good salary if you want to maintain a decent lifestyle.
Here is what a single working here will spend

Accomodation (in the city)+electricity and water bill   - 2000-3000RM
Wifi+TV= 250RM
food = 1000-1200RM
income tax = 1800-2000RM
other expenses = as per your life style

Thank you all for the details, it is really very helpful.

I haven't accepted the offer, demanded for ~13K MYR and waiting for response from the employer.

It seems that you are looking for a change of scene and like so many others trying to move away from India. Therefore I would just go for it and accept the RM10k salary. If the company values you then they will either raise your salary after some time or let you go if you decide to leave and join another company. Anyway, I always believe there is no problem in starting with a low salary and proving your worth before the salary begins to climb.

Quite good salary . Single male living expenses all in max RM 2500 per month.  Tax about 17-18% per year . If you leave within 182 days tax will be 26% of total salary. Hope it help.

yep 13 k sounds good if they give you should accept here all things in your hand like which kind of living you chose so yeah..

Here's what Kelly Staffing say are the salary levels in Malaysia.

2014 Salary Guide

What I have noticed is that salary increases are not always paid, even when inflation is raising COL. I know someone in the IT industry working for a major international player, who has been on the same salary for 6 years.

I finally declined the offer as the employer didn't agree for ~13K MYR.

My own personal opinion is that you should have taken the job. RM9k is really not bad and much more than most Malaysians earn. Even Bank Managers here earn a similar salary so it was not a bad offer. But then it all depends on how desperate you are to move away from your home country. Obviously living in other countries such as the UK would command higher salaries but there are lots of Brits who can probably do this job. Good luck.

Not bad.

10K/month blows unless that's after tax, in which case it sucks.

Based on the variation of opinions on this thread, I think it proves that the Forum is a dangerous place to rely on others' opinions. A person may miss out on an opportunity by being swayed by one response over another.  But then, that would mean they already had made their mind up at least partially and were probably looking for confirmation.  One thing I would like to say is that salary raises don't work the way people describe. It seems that a job has a range of salaries, depending perhaps on complexity and the nature of the company who is doing the hiring. There is no guarantee that there will be any salary raise, apart from perhaps COL if a company gives that sort of upgrade, for the job being currently done. More responsibility would be needed or a more complex project to attract a higher salary. Moving jobs in a sector and between employers is one way of achieving that.