Maxims, proverbs, aphorisms …

A loaded wagon creaks; an empty one rattles. (German proverb)

A man has two ears and one mouth wins if he hears much and speaks little.  (German proverb)

A man surprised is half beaten.  (German proverb)

A man, a word; a word, a man.  (German proverb)

Ein man, ein wort.

A monk in his cloister, a fish in the water, a thief in the gallows.  (German proverb)

A nail secures the horse-shoe, the shoe the horse, the horse the man, the man the castle and the castle the whole land.  (German proverb)

A pack of cards is the devil's prayer-book.  (German proverb)

A penny saved is a penny gained.  (German proverb)

A poor person is not the one who has little, but he who needs a lot.  (German proverb)

A prince without ears to listen has no head to govern.  (German proverb)

A promise is a debt.  (German proverb)

A prophet is not without honour save in his own country.  (German proverb)

A proverb never lies, it is only its meaning which deceives.  (German proverb)

A single penny fairly got, is worth a thousand that are not.  (German proverb)

A small gift is better than a great promise.  (German proverb)

A single stroke does not fell the oak.   (German proverb)

A sparrow in the hand is better than a pigeon on the roof.  (German proverb)

A teacher is better than two books.  (German proverb)

A thief who steals from a thief is not a thief.  (German proverb)

A truth that comes too early or too late is just like a lie.  (German proverb)

Indian Shopkeeper's Proverb: Aaj Nagad Kal Udhaar.....means Cash today,credit tomorrow

Russian proverb: The Russian takes time to saddle his horse, but he rides mighty fast.

(Think of Putin taking the Crimea  :) )

Show me your friend, and I can tell your character (Ghanaian Proverb)

Empty mind is a devil's home ........

But i think this is awrong proverb.....because you can't be empty in mind.... :D

Quote from Ray Bradbury's novel  "Fahrenheit 451" (fiction about 50-years or so old).

"You read it in this morning's edition of The Daily Phony-Baloney and had it confirmed on the TV nighty news, so it has to be true. Don't let some traitor confuse you with historical facts."

How true of today's news media and the public's way of thinking.

For me some section they talk is true but some are just fabricated as for media and thinking depends on the person , if he/she thinks rightly result is in a right way and if reverse the result too follow it...........

When two dogs fight, the third one steals the bone.  (Romanian proverb)

"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H.L. Mencken

El_Jost wrote:

"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H.L. Mencken

This is not popular wisdom coming from people through the ages as an aphorism,
It is just a quote (which is debatable).  :(

John C. wrote:
El_Jost wrote:

~H.L. Mencken

This is not popular wisdom coming from people through the ages as an aphorism,
It is just a quote (which is debatable).  :(

The general definition of "Aphorism" is a statement of truth or opinion expressed in a concise and pithy manner. It must also have passed into general acceptance by speakers of the language in question.
Popular sayings that have gained popularity from generation to generation are usually known as "proverbs, maxims or adages".
IMO for aphorisms there is no requirement of acceptance over generations. For me this is clearly demonstrated by looking online at examples of aphorisms where one finds many examples from the 20th century.
BTW The aphorism I quoted is 'found' over 350,000 times by Google so I reckon it meets the "general acceptance" requirement.

Not always if something he feels is correct he accepts and it doesn't he refused and argue......and that is the reason i admired him........truth is always there.........even if it is wrong for others he never bothered and just says what he feels for that............

aryavrat wrote:

Not always if something he feels is correct he accepts and it doesn't he refused and argue......and that is the reason i admired him........truth is always there.........even if it is wrong for others he never bothered and just says what he feels for that............

Thank you. I have removed my last comment.

You know one thing what i see in all these forums if Sir John C replied then the thread keeps on going........

aryavrat wrote:

You know one thing what i see in all these forums if Sir John C replied then the thread keeps on going........

True, he was often a great contributor to the forums.
But on this site that alone proved to be insufficient.
In the past several people have let him know that his occasional egotistic manner was at times insufferable.
Instead of listening to and learning from such direct but well-meant hints he responded with personal outbursts that were, to put it mildly, discourteous to other members.

"But grief should be the instructor of the wise;
Sorrow is knowledge: they who know the most
Must mourn the deepest o'er the fatal truth,
The Tree of Knowledge is not that of Life".
~Lord Byron

(This is not a maxim, a proverb or an aphorism but fits well the mood of the moment)

Yes you are right El_Jost...........there are some two sentenced or four sentenced sayings in India.............

"Understanding human phenomena is attained by understanding motive"

~ El Jost (this morning :) )

Before knowing others one should know himself/herself ...........(by aryavrat)
Don't know whether right or wrong but i try to follow this.............

In solitude, where we are least alone.
~Byron

Action is a Shadow of Thoughts..............infact it was my one of my posted topic..........

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR