Moving From Canada to Panama?

Hello dear readers,

I have stumbled upon expat-blog.com and thought it would be a good idea to connect and gain further knowledge from people who have been expats for a while.

I am currently in my mid-20's and have come to a point in my life where I have realized the city life is not for me. Fortunately, I have picked a career path that can allow me to work from pretty much from anywhere as it is all online.

My goal is to save up enough money over the next couple of years so I am able to make a move to Panama with my parents, who will be retiring soon. I have done as much research as I can over the past few months but I still have a few questions left outstanding and would hope someone with experience could help me out. :)

First of all, in regards to moving to Panama, and crossing multiple international border, what are some things that I should look out for? I am planning to purchase a cube van and do the move myself, but I am worried about the any laws in regards to moving household belongings across borders. This is my biggest worry, so please help me out!

Second, I was curious about the internet service in the Santiago District area. How reliable is it for someone who will be making a living over the internet?

I should note that I'm not planning to live in the heart of Santiago, but further south out of the city.
Are there any cable companies willing to run cables at a cost if needed?

I think I will leave it at that for now because those are my biggest concerns. Any input/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

P.S - Don't be put off by my age. Rest assured I am serious about this and am not looking to waste anyone's time :)

Regards,
Rez

you don't want to cross US borders
be questioned and detained by some fascist thugs
sell everything and start from scratch

http://indacampo.wordpress.com/  This blogger lives in Pedasi, closer to your destination and may know more about the reliability of internet. http:/http://www.panamaforreal.com/ This guy is a wealth of info about all sorts of things. He lives in Panama City though.

Most people ship belongings. That's a heck of a drive from Canada across a lot of borders and through some areas that may not be safe for white skinned strangers with a truck load of stuff. Better yet, as purplebox said, get rid of the stuff. Furniture and many other things aren't suitable for this hot, humid climate. Replacing is probably cheaper than shipping. What can't be replaced maybe can be left with family members or something. Also, keep in mind that you don't have to pay import taxes when you become a resident, so many leave stuff behind until they get their residencies. (be sure to check details on allowed amounts, etc)

How did you choose this area? You have been there, right? and you have spent time there? and you speak Spanish, right? You will not be able to get by in that area without Spanish. It is not a tourist or expat area, and the locals do not speak English. You will be living a very Panamanian style life, so be very sure this will work for you and your parents before committing to anything!

sorry, I messed up one of the links  http://www.panamaforreal.com/   This is a very good site!

Take a vacation first and spend a few days in the area in which you plan to live. Start learning Spanish because you will definitely need it in the interior of the country.

Your parents can get a Pensionado visa and you can attach yourself to it. You will need a Panamanian lawyer. It will take a little under a year to get the permanent Pensionado, so start the process early. You will have to travel to P twice to go to immigration with your lawyer.

Get rid of most of your stuff and replace with locally bought stuff, including a car, pickup or SUV.  Car prices are a little lower or the same as in the US.

kristc99
I wanted to thank you for your posts
it was not possible to do it as as quote

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + please register in the business directory > Moving services in Panama ]

[Moderated: off topic]

kristc99 wrote:

http://indacampo.wordpress.com/  This blogger lives in Pedasi, closer to your destination and may know more about the reliability of internet. http:/http://www.panamaforreal.com/ This guy is a wealth of info about all sorts of things. He lives in Panama City though.

Most people ship belongings. That's a heck of a drive from Canada across a lot of borders and through some areas that may not be safe for white skinned strangers with a truck load of stuff. Better yet, as purplebox said, get rid of the stuff. Furniture and many other things aren't suitable for this hot, humid climate. Replacing is probably cheaper than shipping. What can't be replaced maybe can be left with family members or something. Also, keep in mind that you don't have to pay import taxes when you become a resident, so many leave stuff behind until they get their residencies. (be sure to check details on allowed amounts, etc)

How did you choose this area? You have been there, right? and you have spent time there? and you speak Spanish, right? You will not be able to get by in that area without Spanish. It is not a tourist or expat area, and the locals do not speak English. You will be living a very Panamanian style life, so be very sure this will work for you and your parents before committing to anything!

Hello reza_kr !

As Kris says (quoted above) it might not be a wise idea to move a van full of stuff across international borders.  I know someone who did it several years ago from Edmonton and had to pay multiple bribes to get across borders. 

I don't want to discourage you but many of the border you will have to cross and the areas that you will have to drive through are simply not safe.  We considered driving our vehicle down but once you consider the customs and duty fees through each border we just deemed it not practical, not only that it is a hassle getting the vehicle registered in Panama once you get it here and difficult to sell because of the same.  The entitlement to bring a vehicle into the country duty free is no longer an option and often the cost of duty and taxes doesn't make bringing a vehicle in worth it.

Kris is also correct when she says it is probably best to start anew.  Many of the items we brought with us we've since had to dispose of because they grew mold and mildew quite easily.  Getting things such as tables and chairs and shelving etc. made from local materials is not pricey. One option if you want to bring treasured items with you and don't have enough to fill a whole container would be to do a "consolidated" shipment.  If your parents are planning on applying for Pesionado Residency they will be entitled to bring $10,000.00 US worth of goods duty free.  I have a link to my blog with a good shipping company that could probably provide you some options and put you in touch with someone from your area.  There is no harm in doing research well ahead of the move to help you make some decisions.

When you say you are moving outside of Santiago do you mean to Santa Fe our just outside the town?  Have you checked the area out?  It is a very rural farming community based mainly on sugar cane and cattle.  As Kris says there is not many full time ExPats there although there are some in the Santa Fe area and the amenities are quite good in Santiago.

Good luck with your research and if you'd like to get in touch with me my blog is included under the Panama Blogs tab.

In da Campo